• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: New demos posted - over 30 GPO demos online

Share/Bookmark

New demos posted - over 30 GPO demos online

There are now over 30 GPO demos posted on the Garritan Personal Orchestra web site.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3.html

These demos range from small, medium and large orchestrations (covering various classical periods), Hollywood-style demos, woodwind ensembles, a tuba quartet, a dixieland band, a chamber string orchestra (made with individual string instruments),instrument solos, and more. Most of these demos were done by either volunteers or users.

Because of GPO\'s unique ability to let you choose your own instrumentation from individual instruments, there is quite a diversity of musical genres that can be performed with GPO. More demos are coming.

Gary Garritan

PS: Please excuse the current lack of hip-hop and metal demos. GPO users are working on them.

Re: New demos posted - over 30 GPO demos online

Originally posted by Garritan:
    PS: Please excuse the current lack of hip-hop and metal demos. GPO users are working on them.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I can\'t wait to hear those Gary! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

\"Metal demos...\" Hearing some Dream Theater mock-ups would be very cool...

AL

Using the solo instruments to build section/ensemble as opposed to using the out of the box library ensemble samples.

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/4seasons-Spring-Excerpt.mp3

\"The above excerpt from the famous concerto provides an example of GPO used as a chamber orchestra. The chamber string orchestra was built entirely from individual stringed instruments playing individual lines. There are no sections used in this arrangement whatsoever.\"

GPO Instrumentation: Solo Stradivari Violin, Solo Galiano Violin, Solo Guarmeri Violin, Vln Strad 1, Vln Strad 2, Sln Strad 3, Vln Gad 1, 2, 3, Viola 1, Viola 2, Cello 1, Cello 2 and Harischord, sequenced in sonar using GPO as VSTi Plug-in

Gary, may I please ask who produced this? Thank you.

Gary, I still can\'t find info on are there brass section samples in GPO?

As in \"mic was in front of 4 horn players\"?

Alex

There isn\'t any 4 French Horn or 3 Trumpet ensemble sections in GPO. Instead GPO uses ensemble instruments to build ensembles of any size. This is a paradigm shift from all previous libraries. This approach gives more flexibility in creating various size ensembles.

Maybe your working on a piece to perform that will be performed live. Maybe the orchestra only has 2 trumpets and 2 horns for brass. In GPO you would setup ensembles using Trumpet Ensemble 1 and Trumpet Ensemble 2 for the trumpet section. You could also use Trumpet 1 Solo and Trumpet 2 Solo for more detailed instruments. You would setup the French Horn section the same way. Now in your notation program you can have separate staves for each instrument and not have to worry about calling up the normal 3 Trumpet or 4 French Horn ensembles when the parts go unison. You won\'t get the normal phasing issues as with most other libraries as no samples are shared between the various ensemble instruments.

The ensemble maker approach is really a unique thing about GPO. What\'s cool as that even the muted trumpet and french horn sounds have ensemble builder instruments.

Yeah...nice concept..but it just doesn\'t sound like a section..

Anyeays, thanks for the answer. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Alex

Originally posted by lex:
    Yeah...nice concept..but it just doesn\'t sound like a section..
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Whaaaaa??

Frank

PS Gary, you still don\'t have any of that discordant 20th century carp. How about pleasing the 130 people in the world who like that stuff! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Actually that\'s something that I could do thinking about it. What could be easier? I mean even I can do random!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

\".. but it just doesn\'t sound like a section ..\"

Lex, fortunately, it doesn\'t, it sounds a lot more natural with individual instruments. That is, in the hands of the person able to use it.
    Now take a 6 trumpets section sound recorded in unison and play a chord with 3 notes, voila you hear 18 trumpets! Incredibly realistic, isn\'t it? You\'ll need 72 violins to balance it.
    Unfortunately in my 30 years as professional conductor and composer I have never come across this \"section sound\", it seems to be unique to sample libraries.

JW

arrrgh

I swear both sides of this argument has people either ignoring part of the truth or plainly acting elitist.

thre or four seperate samples playing unison will never sound like a a section playing unison.

One unison sampleset playing chords will never sound like multiple instruments playing divisi.

There\'s detail upon detail that goes into both of these statements and arguments against both, but for the most part, especially in smaller sections with alot of resonance and power, or extremely high frequency content, or very simple waveforms, they hold true.

There are uses for both, and even duo set samples.

Some people are concerned more about the sound in their mock ups usage rather than realism in \"real world\" techniques for going to a real orchestra to record.

I for one love the idea behind GPO\'s ensemble building concept, but I still think there needs to be an update with ensemble samples (which there probably will be).

6 trumpets..... where can I get that sample set it must be the most annoyingly loud and peircing set of trumpets ever if there are ff/fff samples! Man imagine the discordant moving samples you could get with these 6 guys going in and out of pitch with each other.

Why do the comments that are similar to lex\'s bring up so much agression?

Also why do so many people seem to be oblivious to other peoples nees or even ways of working?

I say more power to GPO and the \"real world\" orchestrators. In fact I\'d love to have a copy of GPO to try my hand and mocking up classics (both film and classical) to learn real world techniques.

but why do you aggressors start slamming people with elitist comments, or playing \"you\'re stupid\" type comments like \"whaaa?\"

Jeanott, yes it is uniquely in sample libraries, because its part of the mock up world. While in orchestration you switch between three part, 2 part, and unison writing, for mock up artists that only work in the sample domain, when writing unison parts many (atleast the ones I know) want a unison section \"sound\" that can only be captured by recording a secion.

The thought of balancing only comming from the size of the sections is again a \"real world\" concept. Balance can be acheived in the sample domain with volume control.

I\'ll never agree with anyone saying that one sample technique (section or multiple solos) or the other is better overall, but I\'ll never agreee with anyone saying you dont need one or the other. Thats just plain ignoring how and why instruments sound the way they do and why recordings sound the way they do.

I\'ve been looking at quite a few scores lately covering time periods from the 1700\'s to recent John Williams scores. It is amazing how few unison sections there are in the majority of the pieces. In John Williams\' scores you will find brass unisons usually playing the melody here and there but this is maybe 10 percent of the brass parts in his scores. Very rarely do the woodwinds play in unison with 3 instruments in a section. Maybe 2 at a time but quite often they play in octaves or in harmony.

Go Back to forum