• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: New song with GPO, Diva and Atmosphere

New song with GPO, Diva and Atmosphere

Here is a new song I did this weekend. I got a ton of new samples on Friday (It took about 2 hours to install them all), and used almost all of them in this song. It uses the following:

Atmosphere http://www.spectrasonics.net
    Garritan Personal Orchestra (contrabass and cello) http://www.garritan.com
    Diva (vocal) http://www.beladmedia.com

I got Drumkit From Hell also, and thought about adding a slow rock drum part (a la Enigma), but decided against it. Let me know if you think I should add it.

BTW, I did it all in Sonar and was able to use all of the above at once (including two instances of Atmosphere) on an Athlon 950 with 768 megs of ram.

I used the VSTI of GPO in Sonar with dry sounds, and used the Pantheon reverb by Lexicon on both GPO and Diva.

-- Martin

Re: New song with GPO, Diva and Atmosphere

Like it up until 0:39!

Thanks very much Simon. Did you not like it after that point, or is that as far as you had gotten? [smile].

-- Martin

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Like it up until 0:39!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Subtle Simon - subtle as a flying mallet in the face. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

UK- teeming with life....

I find myself agreeing with Simon, I\'m afraid, as I must admit that I do find Diva unsettling at times.

I don\'t know why but it reminds me of Walt Disney\'s \'Sleeping Beauty\'? Where the evil witch repeats \'Aurora...Aurora\' or something like that. There is an evil quality there. Let\'s hear a happy Diva sometimes.

I reckon if you recorded someone shouting \"BOO\"!! (at high volume!) and inserted it at some carefully judged point you could give someone kittens!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Still, what do I know?

Nice music , it made me travel around... the only thing is , Diva has a disgusting vibrato.

Myrtle Beach, SC (USA)

Hello Martin, congrats on all the new samples... they sound great. Yeah, the composition is real cool. Kinda reminds me of \"Vangelis\". Good work [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ......... Gary

Well, so nice to come back from a weekend away to see such a wonderful post.

1. Martin, very nice work. I love the ethereal tone.

2. Simon, your opinion is your own - nothing more to say there.

3. Frank, yes Diva is being used more for the haunt than the happy. That was the whole ideal of DIVA. From samples to CD cover.
    Rob Elliott used Diva in a more uplifting piece - http://www.beladmedia.com/audio/wood-nymph.mp3

4. Leogardini, the vibrato in DIVA is true to the performance of each singer. I highly doubt either woman would be singing for the Philadelphia Opera Company if their vibrato was disgusting, as you say. DIVA Extended may suit your needs via means of straight tone.

ALL DEMOS: http://www.beladmedia.com/demos1.htm

Originally posted by leogardini:
    Nice music , it made me travel around... the only thing is , Diva has a disgusting vibrato.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, speak for yourself [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ... I personally find the vibrato of DIVA beautiful and natural - it depends on what kind of sound your looking for. Although I agree with you that the vibrato is not working too well on this piece. The DIVA extended version with a no vibrato sustain sound would fit perfectly. I don\'t know why it\'s not working too well (\"disgusting\" is certainly much too strong a word...), maybe because all other notes are very long and straight sustain notes, and Diva\'s the only vibrato. Or maybe there is some conflict in the harmonics (for exemple DIVA has the same frequencies as a sustain sound which would give a constant dissonance), so this would be a composition issue. If you don\'t like the vibrato on other compositions, I\'d say it\'s personal taste. I think this very large vibrato is fitting very well on dark and haunted atmospheres, for which DIVA was created, as Fracis stated out.
    Anyway, please mind your language, if I may say so, how about:\"I don\'t like the vibrato on this piece\", which would be politer and correcter than \"it\'s distusting\", no? Just a matter of formal presentation [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hmmmm, different strokes...

I think it\'s fine if you don\'t like the sound of DIVA but I do agree that posts (and not only about DIVA but others such as the serves and volleys between the GPO and EWQLSO praisers/haters) can be toned down. I\'m not suggesting sugar-coating it but some of the tone is on the strong side.

If all of us had a little bit more respect for each other, we wouldn\'t get the personal attacks going on around here that we do. With some people, it almost seems like they seek out posts on libraries that they do not like in order to post their dislike for the library. Rarely do I see objectivity in the posts like \"some of the samples are out of tune\" or \"the samples don\'t sound consistent in terms of their stereo placement nor tone/timbre\". Rather you see very subjective ones which are strong in tone and do nothing to inform anyone else but the fact that you don\'t like it. Why must these opinions (and it is fine to have one) be posted over and over in various different threads then? You\'ve said your piece once - is that not enough?

I was an early customer of Bela D Media. I enjoy the library and will be ordering DIVA Extended when it becomes available. At that time, I posted a small review here. I said my piece. I did not come around to every single DIVA post and try to cram it down someone else\'s throat that I like the library.

There are some talented composers here who I\'ve lost a lot of respect for (as people) over the past while with these kinds of attitudes. You don\'t like something - fine. But some of these posts almost seem like personal vendettas. These are just my observations. I\'m no big-time composer but I\'d like to think that I\'m easy to work with and have the utmost respect for others.

Merry Christmas to everyone! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum