• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Computer crashing in Gigastudio 96

Share/Bookmark

Computer crashing in Gigastudio 96

I too am having problems with my computer crashing when using Gigastudio 96 and Cakewalk PA 9. About 20 minutes into sequencing (only 2 tracks also!) and going from Cakewalk back to Gigastudio I get \"This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down.\" UGHHHH!!! Just lost the beginning of my new song! I can\'t imagine if I worked on a song all day and that happened. I would have lost everything!
    I have an HP Pentium 3 667 MHz, 128 megs ram, 2 hard drives (8 gig for programs-C Drive, 30 gig for audio-D Drive). I think this is supposed to meet up to the recommended qualifications if I\'m not mistaken on the Gigastudio 96 box.
    I\'ve already got my graphics settings very low and if I have to set anything else low my computers gonna look like crap.
    Please help us Nemesys!

Re: Computer crashing in Gigastudio 96

I am running GigaStudio 96 and Cakewalk 9.03 and have only had one crash in the last few months. You should shut off all video acceleration which is how mine is set for music. What is your memory usage in GigaStudio? My crash occurred when I was using 87% memory and playing 64 voices for an extended period of time. My system will only playback 64 voices with the way I have it set. You should be able to get 96 voices with your processor.

I ended up disabling the audio part of Logic so I didn\'t get error messages

I\'ve also been told that if you go too low on graphics settings you don\'t get an advantage.
    Also to stay away from 24/32 bit true colour.

From RME: http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/lola/lola.htm

Senseless Tips...

...can be found in masses in the internet. It seems as if those are copied since generations, but no one ever tested them seriously.

Two examples:

Reduce hardware acceleration of the graphics card. Causes the opposite of the desired effect. De-creasing the acceleration
    (System, Performance, Advanced Settings, Graphics, Hardware acceleration) means nothing else as that the CPU now has the burden to perform these tasks. Congratulations...

Changing the virtual memory configuration (swap file) in regard of size and location (System, Performance, Advanced Settings, Virtual Memory, Let Windows do it all). Windows handles this perfectly, any changes include a lot of risks but no advantages. The main argument is: In case Windows REALLY begins to use this file (swaps) it doesn\'t matter whether the used storage device is a ZIP or Barracuda - you can\'t use your PC any longer for several minutes. The only serious advice:
    Buy more RAM.

Turning off video acceleration does make a difference - many cards on the market still rely on the CPU to do parts of their acceleration which causes more traffic on the main bus. This slows down performance on the bus and causes bus contention problems (processes fighting for bandwidth). I have a Matrox G200 card and it definitely makes a differences as this card causes heavy bus traffic when acceleration is enabled. Shutting off the acceleration gets the traffic off the bus.

I am planning on upgrading to a GEForce 2 chipset when I upgrade my system as it does it does video acceleration on the board without help of the CPU. Then I can actually run my system with acceleration.

I definitely agree that more RAM is a must with GigaStudio.

Since my last post I had 2 crashes. I had a cable modem installed which may be causing this problem as I wasn\'t really pushing the system when I had the crashes. I\'m thinking about setting up a separate hardware profile with the NIC disabled. Has anyone else had any issues with either cable modems or DSL?

Turning my graphics hardware accelerator down to \'none\' might have allowed me to use Gigastudio 96 last night for 2 hours. No crashes! I could have even gone longer but I went to sleep.
    I think my problem before was I was using sounds off my Roland XP-80 also with the giga samples all triggered on the Roland and something got congested and overloaded.
    I used all gigasamples when I recorded late last night and had no problems.
    It could have also been just be a RAM problem. I\'m only using 127 megs.

I fixed my crashing issues since I had a cable modem installed. The network adapter was using the same IRQ as my soundboard. I setup 2 hardware profiles and disabled a few devices in my system in the music profile. This eliminated my crashes and the bad pops I was getting.

As I\'ve said in another thread, this program is not anywhere close to being ready for prime time. A PIII 667 processor isn\'t even close to what you need to do the work you want to do. You really need a 2Ghz processor and 20,000RPM drives with 0.1ms access time. Unfortunately this stuff doesn\'t yet exist. And really, neither does GigaStudio. What we really see with the 2.x release is an attempt at a \'proof of concept.\' Nothing more.

Peace,
    Tim
    http://www.elithic.com

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cool7s_Dad:
    [B]As I\'ve said in another thread, this program is not anywhere close to being ready for prime time. A PIII 667 processor isn\'t even close to what you need to do the work you want to do. You really need a 2Ghz processor and 20,000RPM drives with 0.1ms access time. Unfortunately this stuff doesn\'t yet exist. And really, neither does GigaStudio. What we really see with the 2.x release is an attempt at a \'proof of concept.\' Nothing more.

Peace,
    Tim

So, come on, man. Tell us your hardships. You obviously have some with GS and/or GSt. Nothing is perfect. But it is quite clear that GS and GSt offer a beautiful opportunity to make great sounding music. Make due with what we got and try our best.
    Leave the rest to...the next version.

Actually, I have had no crashes lately. I worked on a song on Gigastudio 96 for 3 hours yesterday and last night for 2 hours. I think my computer is working just fine with it. I do think more ram is definitely a must. I only have 127 megs right now, but would love to get 256.
    I think the reason it crashed before was because I was trying to use sounds off of my Roland XP-80 and sounds from Gigastudio all on the same keyboard and some midi information must have gotten stuck or congested.

Marty:

I appreciate your sentiments. But for $7000 I could have done much better with hardware samplers. GigaStudio has been nothing but a draining expense and a severe experience with frustration. For that kind of money, I expect things to work as advertised. Nothing less. I\'m not the least bit interested in waiting for another version. I paid hard earned cash for something that works now. It doesn\'t. It\'s a fraud.

Peace,
    Tim
    http://www.elithic.com

Go Back to forum