• Register
  • Help

Topic: PMI Bos 290 Plugin - uneven fff samples?

Share/Bookmark

PMI Bos 290 Plugin - uneven fff samples?

I\'ve had the PMI Bos 290 plugin for a few days, and am getting absolutely NO work done because it\'s so much fun to play!

However, in all the wet patches, the fff samples seem to have some inconsistencies. The ones that bug me most right now are G# and A below middle C.

This .mp3 shows what I\'m talking about: it\'s a chromatic scale with velocities pegged at 127.

Chromatic scale

First is the dry, from E4-E5. Nice and even. Next is the wet. To my ears, it sounds like \"e-f-f#-g-POING!!-POING!!-a#-etc.\" The attack is much, much harsher and more metallic than the surrounding notes. Am I nuts?

I\'m using the latest updates and patches from East-West. A friend has the Giga version, which doesn\'t seem to exhibit this, er, \"poingyness.\" Any fixes, besides just not playing loud on those notes? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

--Eric

Re: PMI Bos 290 Plugin - uneven fff samples?

Well you could just replace these samples with their \"neighbours\" - extend g to g# and a# to a - so each note will be chromatically transposed, the difference won\'t be obvious. In giga edit this operation is very simple, I don\'t know how it works in the kompakt plug in.

Originally posted by Markus S:
    Well you could just replace these samples with their \"neighbours\" - extend g to g# and a# to a - so each note will be chromatically transposed, the difference won\'t be obvious. In giga edit this operation is very simple, I don\'t know how it works in the kompakt plug in.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That was my first thought as well. As it turns out, I\'d need the full version of Kontakt to pull that off - unless I\'m missing something, you can\'t edit at that level with the Kontakt interface that comes with the library, which is a bit of a bummer.

I decided to go with the plugin for the 24-bit quality and the ease of integration with my DAW sequencer. I\'m now almost wishing I\'d gone with the Giga version!

Thanks for the suggestion!

--Eric

Double post.

Just uppin\' the post count. Watch out, King! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

--Eric

Hi Eric,
    Glad you\'re not getting your work done because of the PMI Bos290 - there are worse things to obstruct a man from doing his job...

You\'re not nuts at all. What you hear is what that piano sounds like when you bang the keys as hard as you can. Some notes sound very different and this is rather obvious in the G# and A below middle C.
    Now this is something that would normally never occur in a performance, you would never hit the keys this hard. But in case you do...

You can wait for my next update. The next update will have the pedal noise (in combination with Grandioso FX) and a lot of cosmetic bug fixes. This will be one of them. I\'ll make a patch that masks this uneven sound.

Or you can open the instrument in Kontakt and start messing with the key assignment of these notes. In case you don\'t have Kontakt, you\'re stuck because KOMPAKT does not let you change the mapping of keys.

Thanks Michiel. Good to hear of the upcoming update!

The thing is, I *am* getting these higher velocities in normal playing right now until I get used to the combination of the new piano library and the new controller.

Anyway, I\'m really digging the Bos 290!

--Eric

Glad that Michiel\'s working to better my fav. piano library. And here\'s a request, while we\'re on the topic: in the ppp-pppp range some notes in the midrange make a low frequency \"rumble\" sound in addition to the natural timbre of the note. Perhaps that \"rumble\" (which resembles the rumble of the needle vibrating in a record groove on a 33rpm lp) could be attenuated or eliminated.

JG

Hi John,
    Which notes?
    Let me know and I\'\' check them...

I won\'t be able to get back to you too soon on that (Christmas and all), but I\'ll check into it asap.

JG

Go Back to forum