• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My movie is finished!!

Share/Bookmark

My movie is finished!!

I have finished scoring the movie that I have been posting. If you really want to see all 55 minutes or so, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N57d1bgbFAQ

The narration has been added, but the video is still only rendered in draft mode - hence why it's a little jerky, and some of the characters don't have hair and/or their proper clothing.

Anyway, I had a major problem with this project. My computer started crashing under the strain of the large project, and ended up corrupting the project file, so I lost everything. Thankfully, I had done a full mixdown already, but the quality is not good in places. There are dropouts and pops. I was going to play with buffer sizes to try and get a good bounce, but I cannot do so now since the project file is dead.

Anyway, I managed to salvage most of the mix from tracks I had already rendered. But there are still a few places where it sounds pretty bad. Oh well. It was all a learning experience. Just as well it's just an amateur project that I'm not being paid for!

Regards to all
    Owen
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: My movie is finished!!

This is going to be great! I will give this a full watch when I get a little more time. Looking forward to this! Got it saved on youtube!

---!!! OH man - I'm really sorry to hear that, Owen. Not to lecture- um--but this would indicate that you weren't saving any backup versions of the project files. -- Well, I'm guilty of that at times too, I get so busy I forget to do it, and after trying "Memeo" that automatically backs up files to an external drive, and having an absolute nightmare with it - I'm not trusting software to keep up with my backups.

You use Sonar I think - You must try Sonar's tool for opening corrupted project files. I had to do this once, and it worked perfectly. I'll let the master explain:

Scott Garrigus on opening corrupt Sonar files

Basically, it's a way to open the project with the bare minimum of data - then you can slowly keep adding the synths and other things you used in the project, until you uncover what the problem is. You might find that the majority of your work can be saved that way.

For future reference - because you're so good at this movie scoring gig, there Will be a next time!-- You need to divide the project up into multiple project files, and not make it one gigantic one. You were putting too much strain on your computer and Sonar, but you really didn't need to.

There are plenty of spots in the video between music cues. Make those your divisions. When your work is complete, there are numerous ways you can get the tracks into the video - and the simplest way, really, is to have each separate track you produced imported separately in the video editor, and then you move them to the start points by hand. Sounds tricky, and it is a bit, but really not that difficult.

The other way would be to assemble all the separate master recordings in an audio editor like Sound Forge or Audacity. If you're concerned about sync being difficult to fix up by hand, you could extend the end of each piece with silence, going right up to the where the start of the new cue is.

And there's no reason that you have to have the entire video in Sonar at once. You should work with a scratch copy of reduced quality, to put as little strain on Sonar as possible - It could be sliced up already into the sections you'd be individually scoring. It's even easier to line up picture in a video editor than sound, so clips with scratch video and music could be imported, then the scratch video is deleted or turned off.

Anyway - You can do the next project in smaller pieces - much more practical.

Try opening Sonar in safe mode!

Randy

Randy, you're the best! I had no idea that Sonar has that facility. It worked! I got my project back.

I do overnight backups (or at least, Livedrive does it for me, to an offsite server). However, in this instance, I took all of Labor Day to do 60% of the movie - I did 40 minutes of it or so. I guess I should have thought of making periodic backups during the day.

Great advice about chopping up into smaller pieces. I believe I know how I can do this without making it too difficult to stitch them back together afterwards.

As ever, thanks for your help!

(Premiere was tonight. It went really well. I will post pictures.)

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    Randy, you're the best! I had no idea that Sonar has that facility. It worked! I got my project back...
    Great advice about chopping up into smaller pieces. I believe I know how I can do this without making it too difficult to stitch them back together afterwards...

Super news! I'm glad that saved things for you, Owen - I couldn't guarantee it would, but I knew from personal experience that it had a good chance of doing the trick. Great!

As for dealing with a project which is so large by its nature, if you use an audio editor like Sound Forge, or the free Audacity, cues individually produced (synced already to individual video clips) can be spliced together into one big sound track, without the fear of crashing you would have in Sonar where you're trying to mix everything at once. Do the individual mix-downs to 2-track masters, then work with those in the audio editor - Well, there are several ways to work with this much sound at once. I'm glad you're thinking of a way to proceed - there really are several ways. The main thing is you don't want to have the entire soundtrack to work on as one gigantic project in Sonar.

Thanks for letting me know you can go back and do the rest of the mixing work you wanted to do!

Randy

Owen,

Really enjoying this!! Unfortunately, I don't have 50 minutes of time for any one activity in my life at the moment (with the possible exception of sleeping..) so I'll have to listen to this in sections over several nights. But I wanted to respond while I had the chance to let you know I'm really enjoying this endeavor of yours. Your creativity is outstanding as I have mentioned before and you are a natural for this type of scoring.

I can't believe you did 40 minutes of this over the Labor Day weekend. Wow....this would take me weeks.
    This must have been a great joy for you to get the experience to score for film/animation. I haven't taken the leap yet. It's a good lesson on not saving one long taxing file on the computer in order to get the job done. I'll remember to break it up if and when I do attempt a project like this myself.

But I'm glad Randy was able to help to get you file back. Hooray..!!!

I'm looking forward to watching this in its entirety. job well done Owen!!

Cass

Randy: Thanks again for the advice. It will be really helpful when I get to work on the full documentary (of which I posted music for the 3 minute trailer recently). Even that trailer was taxing the system - I was starting to hear pops and crackles, although these did not transfer to the mix-down (which I did not do as a fast bounce, just to be safe). Still, lesson learned!

Cass: Don't feel obligated to watch the whole thing! Anyway, thanks again for your encouragement. Well, my math was a bit off. I guess I did 25 minutes on Labor Day. It took around 16 hours. It wasn't too bad, since I was able to do a fair bit of copy-pasting of material, and there were a few silent sections as well. It's usually the first part of a movie that takes the most music, while characters and settings are being introduced. It sure was a very good experience for me. I learned a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    ...Even that trailer was taxing the system - I was starting to hear pops and crackles, although these did not transfer to the mix-down (which I did not do as a fast bounce, just to be safe)...
    Owen, it works well to change the buffer size of your audio interface for different phases of the work.

When working on a mix, crackles just mean your buffer is too small. It doesn't effect a bounce down, even fast bounce, but it is annoying to hear while mixing. I use one setting while working on a piece with low latency so playing from my keyboard works well, but then once the project is of size and I'm moving into the mixing phase, I push the buffer in the interface up, causing more latency, but at that point it doesn't matter. You can still record things like automation in "real time"--because you're working with a slightly delayed signal and you don't notice it-you're in high latency Twilight Zone - see?

Basically I'm saying that crackles don't indicate you're taxing your system really, it just means you're not using the bigger latency buffer size usually needed for mixing.

Randy

Story: great.
    Choices of characters: superb.
    Video: sometimes a bit dark and barely visible.
    Music: what to say than "you did a great job with it"
    Humor: sometimes made me laugh.
    Graphics: from my point of view, sufficient to excellent.

Another filmmaker has risen! Congratulations. Glad I've seen this.

Raymond

Randy: Thanks again for the help! I actually just discovered those buffer settings while trying to render the movie (which is the point at which it crashed, actually). I had it set to 10ms latency on the ASIO sound card. I will keep playing and see what happens.

Raymond: Appreciate the detailed feedback. I have shared your comments with the filmmaker - I'm sure he will find them encouraging.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast