• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Rap sounds?

Share/Bookmark

Rap sounds?

I\'m doing some songs for a friend and he happens to be a rapper. I really don\'t have any drum sounds besides the ones that came with the Dr-008, a couple of 808 and 909 sets etc....I also have drumkits from hell but this isn\'t really a rap type of set. Can any of you recommend a \'rap drumset\' as well as some other instruments that go in rap songs? Thanks. I would prefer just single hits so I can build my own kits in dr-008 or something to that nature.

Re: Rap sounds?

There\'s A LOT of stuff out there now. One library that I have gotten tons of use out of is Digital Boy

http://www.ilio.com/ilio/digiboy/index.html

There are 2 disks, 1 synths and one drums and perc. The drums and perc disk covers most of what you\'ll need for that type of music.

Another cool set is Ueberschall\'s \"Da Nu R&B Two\". And there\'s lots of stuff in Spectrosonics Stylus that\'ll work as well. In fact, I\'d probably recommend that first.

As far as other instruments used in that style, my take on that is (and this is extremely generalized), lots of very simple sounds, like those found on older synths. Sine wave basses, General MIDI type string sounds, etc...

I\'ve also found that helping in the \"authenticity department\", try and make each part sound like it was taken from a pre-exsisting recording, and used in your arrangement. Also, it sometimes helps to \"lo-fi\" some of the sounds in your track. Again, this is VERY general in nature. Each song has different requirements.

Thanks. Since you seem to be pretty knowledgable let me ask you something. I really don\'t want to spend too much money like the $299 on that ilio and spectrasonics is pretty expensive. What do you think of Total Hip hop, Pure Hip hop, or modernbeats? or should I just go for Da Nu rnb hip hop? With the \"da nu rnb hip hop\" do you get just drums or other sounds?

I have Sonar 3.0 producer so I have that triangle 2 thing, dreamstation and all those types of things to make those types of basses etc....

Check out the december sale at Soundsonline. Da Nu R&B is like $34 for the acid version. I bought the audio version a few years ago. I do very little hip hop, but it\'s pretty cool. Also NY Cutz isn\'t bad.

Here\'s my take on Rap and Hip Hop (again like Jaimo, my opinion) - Basically make it BIG BOTTOM drums, with a cool bass line that grooves with the kicks. Turn it up really loud so your neighbors can hear it. And then pull out your older synths and pick some very basic sounds. I always have to go buy some CDs and listen because I\'m so far removed from the scene, but I\'ve done a decent job with the Hip Hop I\'ve had to do thus far, because it\'s really pretty basic.

Due to it\'s basic nature, you can probably buy all the sounds you\'ll need from the Sounds Online December sale. Go take a browse. But be ready to set up some samples. I think most of the sale instruments in that catagory are audio CDs.

J-

If you use Logic, check out Extreme HipHop. It\'s got tons of great lo-fi drums, kits, hits, and other FX. The stuff is really grungy and has alot of character, not cheesy at all.

Thanks again. One question, can you tell me the difference between the acidized waves and other types of wavs? I don\'t want to have to work with the waves. i just want to drag them onto DR-008 or put them into vsampler etc...Also what do you think of modernbeats? They are pretty cheap as well.

What do you think of Total Hip hop, Pure Hip hop, or modernbeats? or should I just go for Da Nu rnb hip hop? With the \"da nu rnb hip hop\" do you get just drums or other sounds?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Even though I personally haven\'t used Total or Pure Hip Hop, I find it hard to imagine it wouldn\'t give you exactly what you\'tre looking for.

Along with drum sounds, Da Nu Hio Hop 2 also gives you complete \"Construction\" Kits.
    For instance, you get a whole track:drums, keyboards, basses, etc...As well as all those elements broken out individually.

These types of disks are really designed for people who don\'t have the ability to create their own, but the truth is they\'re really well done, and you\'ll sound authentic \"right out of the box\".

Also, by analyzing those construction kits, you\'ll actually learn alot about creating tracks for that genre of music. It\'s a win-win situation as far as I\'m concerned.

Hi Ryan

What kind of Rapmusic you want to produce? Jazzy, underground, rnb-like, stuff like kanye west, swizzbeats, liljohn (with those 808 sub basses).

I`m producing over years RnB / HipHop. Styles just as you know from the latest RnB Productions in the game... stuff like you know from albums like 50Cent, Lloyd Banks, Omarion, Pussycat Dolls and so on... even i don`t like them all... most of them got really heavy producers!

So i suggest you to take your sounds not only from one Sample CD. Because most SampleCDs covers their own style. And there`s a lotta rubish in the game with good Demos but bad Samples. Just those two or three Kits used in the demo from maybe 20 are "worth da money" .
    But now some new Discs are out from ueberschall, bestservice and others...

ModernBeats.com
    They got single Sounds & Loops. Read the Description.
    Take care you could also order some more experimental stuff, but most of them is really very useful.

For smoother sounds...

Off the hook 1 & 2
    For smoother RnB Productions. It gots a bunch of top-notch sounds.
    Also for RnB Club Tracks.

Sampletanks Xpansions
    Most of them got big names like "Latin Gangsta Hood" but the sounds are not really "tha bang"!

But listen to demos here (even it`s in german). Type "hiphop" in the search bar & click go. Choose your Sample Discs on the left. On the product page you can find the "orange" Audio Demos Button, click it

Decide yourself for a disk and ask me again about it. Cause some producers like more that old skool stuff, others more jazzy,....

http://www.bestservice.de

If you need some real pro RnB/HipHop Beats with Hit Potential. Just mail me. www.a2rproductions.com --> click on music.

Listen to the Audio Demos. Let them load fully, cause they are mixes with over 4 Beats included in the HipHop/RnB/Soul style. There you can find real diffrent styles and it shows you diffrent rnb/hiphop styles. If you like what you hear... there are more demos in the player.

RnB & Soul Demos Pack 1 (4 Beats included)
    RnB & Soul Demos Pack 2 (4 Beats included)

Cheers

A.E.A.

A2R Productions
    Music Productions

www.a2rproductions.com

Quote Originally Posted by RyanFormato
    the difference between the acidized waves and other types of wavs? I don\'t want to have to work with the waves

ACIDIZED WAV`S
    They are like normal wav files ready to use for your sampler!
    ACIDized WAVs including informations about tempo, notes... (i.e. acid pro).
    A2R Productions
    Music Productions

www.a2rproductions.com

I used to play on, engineer, and produce rap records in the late 80s and early 90s. Kid Frost, Cypress Hill, Ice Cube, A.L.T. and the like. Back then, most drum sounds we used were ones we sampled ourselves off records. Older records worked better. Or even early hip hop records give you lots of clean sources for the 808 sounds that will be fairly isolated. It can be OK if a HH is together with a boom or snare or whatever.

There's value in this sort of sampling besides just cheap/free sounds. It also makes you more intimate with the sounds and that helps in your composition. It's kind of hard to explain, but it puts you back in the time when great music got made with a zillion options for every instrument.

Legal? That's a whole debate in itself, and since I don't want to sidetrack this thread, I won't give my opinion. But it's an option you may want to consider.

- Mike Greene

Go Back to forum