• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: VSL vs QL orchestra

Share/Bookmark

VSL vs QL orchestra

OK - so I\'m thinking of spending some dosh and this question has probably been asked hundreds of times, but since I can\'t seem to find any past posts (blame it on xmas spirit)...
    I was wondering what the general reaction was to such a vague question? Which one to go for? Are they closely matched, or is one clearly \'better\' than the other?
    From listening to the demos, some VSL demos sound a lot better to my ears than QL, a lot more like the genuine article. Then again, others sound not so good.
    However, demos are just one thing, the practicalities for real composers, something quite different.
    What I\'m interested in are a few unbiased comments by people actually using these libs...
    Many thanks
    Richard

Re: VSL vs QL orchestra

Some would probably say I\'m biased since I\'m primarily using VSL, but if you hold up that criteria against a user, anyone is \"biased\" one way or another. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

However, I will say this. VSL sounds very realistic to my ears as well, more so than any other library. That\'s primarily because of the real legato functionality, no doubt about it. In short, woodwinds, brass, strings, can sound awesome even when used in a solo setting. You\'ll be hard-pressed to find fault with the legato samples.

There are some drawbacks though, one particular fact which I do not like at all is that the legato patches are sampled rather short. In other words, violins or a flute may \'run out\' before you want it to. They\'re not looped either. So that\'s one disadvantage (which can be overcome to a degree, but the thought behind VSL was always to do away with extensive editing and layering IMO). Secondly, the trombones and horns lacks \'power\'. Thirdly, the horns in f are probably not what you would wish for, I just don\'t like the sound of them. Same for the oboe, which has no vibrato and is practically useless to me. Those are the only drawbacks I can think off. For the rest, VSL will certainly amaze you. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Thanks for your feedback...
    Yes - I had read that the horns are weaker than - say - even SAM, which I particularly like from having had a listen to the demos. Certainly from the solo horn demos, they don\'t sound as good as SAM. As for oboe and vibrato - hopefully they\'ll add that extra patch given enough user requests.
    I have downloaded dozens of demos of each libary and - to my hears at least, and side-by-side - VSL sounds more realistic... that may be because the demos are more detailed, I don\'t know.
    Certainly the demos of the solo legato instruments are truly amazing...
    It also seems to me that the production costs of VSL are that much greater and therefore the support that much better in the future.
    It is a tricky one...
    I think I\'ll hunt around for more comments.

Originally posted by Sovereign:
    Some would probably say I\'m biased since I\'m primarily using VSL, but if you hold up that criteria against a user, anyone is \"biased\" one way or another. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

However, I will say this. VSL sounds very realistic to my ears as well, more so than any other library. That\'s primarily because of the real legato functionality, no doubt about it. In short, woodwinds, brass, strings, can sound awesome even when used in a solo setting. You\'ll be hard-pressed to find fault with the legato samples.

There are some drawbacks though, one particular fact which I do not like at all is that the legato patches are sampled rather short. In other words, violins or a flute may \'run out\' before you want it to. They\'re not looped either. So that\'s one disadvantage (which can be overcome to a degree, but the thought behind VSL was always to do away with extensive editing and layering IMO). Secondly, the trombones and horns lacks \'power\'. Thirdly, the horns in f are probably not what you would wish for, I just don\'t like the sound of them. Same for the oboe, which has no vibrato and is practically useless to me. Those are the only drawbacks I can think off. For the rest, VSL will certainly amaze you. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I agree with Sovereign\'s comments (strengths and weaknesses.) I do think the horns are very good when needed to be more mellow, which is why I have Sam\'s Brass to compliment VSL for that more \'epic\' sound. Layering the brass legato patches with Sam\'s has gotten me some terrific results.

VSL\'s oboe is more like a car horn (vienna oboe - sorry my Viennese friends - I prefer the French version.) VSL is smart enough to realize that most WANT the French version and currently are producing it. After it is VSL not FSL (French....)

I have paid for every VSL sample I own and so I say very sincerely it is an amazing library now and in the future - these people sound like they have a 5 year plan.

I don\'t have QL and probably you couldn\'t go wrong there as well (based on the demo\'s). I usually make my sample purchase decisions on how they sound all by their lonesome. I think you will find the VSL have many examples such as these. Take it from an owner, these are \'right\' of the the box in most cases.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Hi,

Sovereign wrote:

\"VSL sounds very realistic to my ears as well, more so than any other library. That\'s primarily because of the real legato functionality, no doubt about it.\"

Is the real legato functonality you mention part of the Performace Set of VSL, or the Cube ?

Any comments about the Performace Set, such as, ease of use, functionality, control,..etc. I think this is a unique part of VSL, and I am guessing that it adds a lot of realism to this library, (repetiion, alternation, legato tools).

I don\'t own VSL yet, but I\'m considering to add it in the near future in the Exs24 format.

Thanks for the feedback.

Originally posted by Rob Elliott:
    I do think the horns are very good when needed to be more mellow, which is why I have Sam\'s Brass to compliment VSL for that more \'epic\' sound. Layering the brass legato patches with Sam\'s has gotten me some terrific results.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I agree. The vsl legato mp horns patch is awesome.

VSL\'s oboe is more like a car horn
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Heh, it is! Hope they hurry up with the french version though, in the meantime I\'ll have to make do with vitous oboe (which is nice, but having no legato it just feels so backwards now [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

Paynterr: VSL will work with Halion, even the performance patches will work with some clever midi-routing (not too difficult).

Muziksculp: Legato comes with the performance set. Legato ease of use: turn it on and play, that\'s how easy it is! I never even adjusted a setting. The repetition tool is a bit more complicated but with a little bit of effort it\'s rather easy to understand as well.

Are there any papers/documentation available to give more info on VSL? I can\'t see any on their web-site?
    Also - Is it possible to run VSL on a single large spec box? e.g. 3gig ram, 3ghz pentium?
    I will also be using it with Halion so will have to convert the Halion format first, which shouldn\'t be a problem according to the cubase halion forum, since Halion\'s giga import is near perfect these days, thus allowing me access to all the lovely VST features that entails.
    Of course, the GS version is 16 bit... but then again, the great sounding demos are mp3... I\'m not convinved that I need to move to 24bit until the libraries themselves warrant it. After all, those great recordings on CD are only 16 bit...

I own the First Edition VSL and am very happy with it. It\'s big and I have yet to explore all of it. As for the horns, I like them a lot but they were not recorded with the same concept as SAM, just like VSL was not recorded with the same concept as QSLO. VSL, I believe, has finished recording an 8 horn ensemble. I assume QSLO requires less effort in the mix since it has built-in ambience. This was never an issue with me especially knowing that applications such as Gigapulse will soon be available and my mixing skills need improvement anyway. This is an issue with some. Sovereign make some good points above and I agree with most of them. It seems that VSL will have a never ending upgrade path. They keep producing more and more samples of different articulations and instruments with no end in sight. The Performance Tool has an exciting future. Another consideration between the two is Kontakt vs Giga/ESX. You might wait until NAMM and see what 3.0 GigaStudio has to offer. I don\'t own QLSO but they have some fine demos. I haven\'t heard any single instrument/section demos though they may exist. Best of luck.

The one major problem that I have with
    VSL is that the strings especially the
    Violins can sound very harsh and brittle
    in the high end.
    I guess I have not heard VSL with a
    amazing reverb like Altiverb,
    maybe that would change my opinion.

Dave

Originally posted by csduke:
    Another consideration between the two is Kontakt vs Giga/ESX.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If I may be so bold - there is actually another highly qualified contender and that is HALion.

Pink

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast