• Register
  • Help

Topic: Free replacement of PMI POP/ROCK piano

Share/Bookmark

Free replacement of PMI POP/ROCK piano

Important news for PMI POP/ROCK piano owners (Yamaha C7).

I was never really very satisfied with the PMI Yamaha C7 library. During the time I created this library, I was working on a studio setup built around a Yamaha digital mixer. It now turns out there were some signal path problems in that set-up that have led to unwanted signal degeneration, stereo image problems and strange bumps in frequencies. I recently found the cause of this when the system was broken down for upgrades. I then examined the original back-up sessions of that library. They sounded so much better than the end result! I decided to re-master all samples and create a new version of the Yamaha C7 library in all formats. I have just finished the Kontakt and HALion 24 bits versions, and will finish the Giga and EXS versions very soon. This update will make the C7 POP/ROCK meet the standards we set with the PMI GRANDIOSO series (Steinway D and Bosendorfer 290).

The important news for all current PMI C7 customers is that I decided to make the new version available as a free update, replacing the old disks, since the original release was below PMI quality standards.

We will arrange replacements together with our distributors and start shipping disks early next year. You will all automatically receive new disks for free. Only if your address changed since you purchased the library you should contact us. Send your shipping address, the product you purchased and where you purchased it to : info@postmusicalinstruments.com)

I created a new demo with the new samples.
    The demo below was made with the 24 bits PMI POP/ROCK (Yamaha C7) in KONTAKT. Both recording perspectives (CLOSE and AMBIENT) are used in tandem. The balance between the two is 60% ambient and 40% close. When you compare this demo with the next demo (of the PMI Bosendorfer 290) you will notice that the Bos290 is more ambient sounding than the Yamaha C7. This makes the POP/ROCK piano more suited for pop and rock music where all reverb and ambience is usually added during the final mixdown and not during the track recording.
    To run this kind of a performance on a single computer I used an overclocked 3 GHz P4, with 2 GB of fast RAM and S-ATA drives. Even with this machine the tandem performance of both piano perspectives under Cubase SX is a serious load for the CPU during the dense passage where over 120 stereo voices play on both instruments. The playback is ok but bouncing to disk can suffer from dropouts (CPU halts I believe) when a lot of additional processing is applied.

The piece is a performance by the Dutch piano-virtuoso Jan Vayne who improvises on a song by John Ewbank, who composed songs for several Dutch artists such as Marco Borsato, Trijntje Oosterhuis and many others.

Listen to the PMI POP/ROCK (YAMAHA C7) MP3 here: PMI Yamaha C7
    The file is 10.9 MB (320 kbps)

For the next demo I rendered the same midi file using the PMI Bösendorfer 290 Plug-In (with the KOMPAKT engine). I used a multi with two patches: on channel 1 the “Dry 16 pedal up” patch and on Channel 2 the “Pedal Resonance” patch. These two instruments are played by the same sequence. The pedal resonance on the second channel crossfades in –in realtime- whenever the sustain pedal is actually used. Not as in regular sample libraries where the sustain pedal down samples are selected AFTER the sustain pedal is down. This makes a tremendous difference in liveliness. This performance was a relatively mild attack on the PC’s CPU power.

Listen to the PMI Bösendorfer 290 plug-In MP3 here:
    PMI Bosendorfer 290
    The file is 10.9 MB (320 kbps)

Any feedback is welcome.

Re: Free replacement of PMI POP/ROCK piano

Originally posted by Michiel Post:
    For the next demo I rendered the same midi file using the PMI Bösendorfer 290 Plug-In (with the KOMPAKT engine). I used a multi with two patches: on channel 1 the “Dry 16 pedal up” patch and on Channel 2 the “Pedal Resonance” patch. These two instruments are played by the same sequence. The pedal resonance on the second channel crossfades in –in realtime- whenever the sustain pedal is actually used. Not as in regular sample libraries where the sustain pedal down samples are selected AFTER the sustain pedal is down. This makes a tremendous difference in liveliness. This performance was a relatively mild attack on the PC’s CPU power.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">All I can say is what an amazing sound! Can this only be accomplished with the plugin version, or can the same thing be done with the Kontakt version? Was any reverb added (or other processing)?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,
    Thanks!

No reverb, no processing, no eq...these Bos290 demos come straigh out of the plug-in. And they sound exactly the same coming from Kontakt as from KOMPAKT (they use the same parameters, samples etc - in fact I program the Plug-In patches in Kontakt and then transfer them to Kompakt).
    The Kontakt PMI C7 demo is also totally unprocessed. i just fiddled a little bit with the balance between the two microphone perspectives. I also shifted the Ambient microphone perspective a few milliseconds to create a little more distance.

OK. Amazing. I love the sound!

I have the 16-bit Kontakt version, and I don\'t have any instruments named \"Dry 16 pedal up\" or \"pedal resonance\". Does this mean that I need to upgrade to the 24-bit version, to be able to replicate the programming you\'ve used for the above demo?

The instruments I have are:

B290 Brian eno.nki
    B290 cheap Bosie.nki
    B290 compressed.nki
    B290 Dry 8 layer BASIC.nki
    B290 Dry 8 layer long rel new.nki
    B290 Dry 8 layer pianohall.nki
    B290 Dry BASIC PATCH.nki
    B290 Dry chorus.nki
    B290 Dry dark.nki
    B290 Dry Hi Dynamics.nki
    B290 Dry lo Dynamics.nki
    B290 Dry Lo+Hi Enhanced.nki
    B290 Dry no release.nki
    B290 Dry rev1.nki
    B290 Dry+WET Layer.nki
    B290 fx resonance.nki
    B290 Layer DryWet LP Filter.nki
    B290 Layer DryWet MW.nki
    B290 scream!.nki
    B290 Wet 4 layer + rel new.nki
    B290 Wet 4 layer realtime sustain + rel.nki
    B290 Wet 8 layer + sustain new.nki
    B290 Wet Basic 4 layer rel & sustain new.nki
    B290 Wet Dark REv s r.nki
    B290 Wet DARK Sus&rel.nki
    B290 Wet real sust+rev.nki
    B290 Wet real sust+rev2.nki
    B290 Wet realtime sustain + rel.nki
    B290 yamaha stage piano.nki

Thanks,

Lawrence

No you don\'t have to upgrade, these programs (\"Dry 16 pedal up\" or \"pedal resonance\") were recently created for the KOMPAKT plug-in.

I have not onverted them to the Kontakt version, but I will add them to the next PMI Bos 290 Kontakt program update.

Yes, improvement is in the pedaling, I think. Anyhow, a vast improvement in sound quality, which is what I was trying to express in a previous post about that Mozart demo on the 24 bit Kontakt version. Here, again, I notice that a sustain pedal sample was being used that isn\'t available on my giga 16 bit version.

Hard to believe this sample is the pmi dry, the timbre of which I\'ve never been that keen on. Hey, now I like that dry sample; in fact, I like it a lot.

My concern is pretty much Lawrence\'s: if I buy the pmi crossgrade to 24 bit Kontakt (from 16 giga) am I getting the same stuff exactly that I would get from the pmi 24 bit plugin?? (In fact, I\'ve already purchased it.)

Could I really do all this stuff with Kompakt? Perhaps, since I don\'t edit the sound of the pmi bos, I don\'t NEED Kontakt? I just need all the samples, including the sustain ones, operating at full capacity.

JG

Hi Michiel,

Awesome! While I don\'t own any of your libraries at the moment, with service such as this, I wouldn\'t hesitate in the future. Providing a free update such as this shows a high level of integrity on your part. Fantastic and kudos to you.

Merry Christmas!
    FV

This really is a remarkable thing for a developer to do. However, in the case of Michiel Post, I\'m not surprised. He is a man of integrity, and professionalism, and constantly strives to improve existing products, whilst developing new ones. A very cool dude!

Originally posted by Michiel Post:
    No you don\'t have to upgrade, these programs (\"Dry 16 pedal up\" or \"pedal resonance\") were recently created for the KOMPAKT plug-in.

I have not onverted them to the Kontakt version, but I will add them to the next PMI Bos 290 Kontakt program update.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Excellent. I look forward to the update! Thanks for doing this.

Lawrence

Thanks for the nice words guys!

This replacement may be unusual for a sound library developer to do but I feel a bit ashamed that the original release was not as good as it could be. The trouble and costs for replacing all disks with new ones is my way to make up for the mistake we made.

Marry Xmass

Go Back to forum