• Register
  • Help

Topic: Xsample vol 8 questions on harp & psalter

Share/Bookmark

Xsample vol 8 questions on harp & psalter

Thanks for the response on flageolet.. it doesnt sound too much like a harmonic though. Hmm

Re: Xsample vol 8 questions on harp & psalter

Sam,

I\'m not a harp player, but I believe flageolet is a harmonic sound plucked from the harp.

Isn\'t a flageolet a little whistle? Like a tin whistle?

You\'re both right.
    From \"Pocket Manual of Musical Terms\":
    \"A small end-blown flute, a wind instrument of the whistle family...Flageolet-tones, HARMONICS\"

The words in caps are references to other entries, so apparently a Flageolet-tone is a harmonic.

Anthony Lombardi
    www.mp3.com/alombardi

On the harp, flageollets means harmonics.

Flageolet tones, harmonics or overtones are produced by touching the string gently with the tip of your finger and in this case, with harp, plucking the string softly, producing a tone one octave above in pitch.
    The term also applies with the string group (violin, viola, cello, double bass) where it is produced in the same manner as with harp, except you now have the choice of pizzicato or arco. Bowing the harp is unfortunately impossible [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Be aware when writing harmonics for harps or plucked strings in general as they can be hard to produce with a consistent quality of tone. Harmonic glissandis are impossible on harp and so are fast passages. I\'m sure there are exceptional players with robotic technique who can produce perfect overtones at high speed but these guys are probably few and far between! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thomas

Go Back to forum