• Register
  • Help

Topic: FREE TenCrazy.com MFX plugins go 64-bit

Share/Bookmark

FREE TenCrazy.com MFX plugins go 64-bit

Hey, gang, it's been a while...*

I've managed to quit my soul-sucking corporate day-job recently, giving me a little time to play around with music software again. First up on my priority list was to update my ancient MFX plugins (for SONAR, et al, and I think Cubase could run them at one point) to modern 64-bit hosts. In fact, many of those plugins came about from requests from GPO users!

I'm releasing them a few at a time, since they each require a little bit of fixing. So if you're missing those, you can currently get TenCrazy.com MFX SustainFix, CC Map, and AcidSpew on the site. Others to follow soon...

Also, one of the main reasons I posted here: if you have requests for 64-bit versions of the other plugins, please mention them here so that I can bump them up on the priority list! (I know some of the old favorites are no longer needed: my MFX AutoLegato is now built into most ARIA libraries as a midiproc module.) Also, follow @TenCrazy on Twitter to get the latest news on what's being released.

Have fun with these. Make cool sounds.

Best regards,
    - m

* Redux from the past 5+ years: Moved to Boston, could no longer afford living on boutique music software dev wages, took high-paying low-self-respect job, moved to Florida for wife's job, quit old telecommute job when new CTO joined and chased out all the good management, now trying to get by on donation-ware and freelance contacts until I figure out my next step in life!
    Free MFX and other plugins: http://www.TenCrazy.com/
    Markleford's music: http://www.markleford.com/music/

Re: FREE TenCrazy.com MFX plugins go 64-bit

Wow--What a great post. It's super to see you again, Markleford. And so full of news - Thanks for the update on your life's haps--wow--that's a lot you've gone through - interesting era you've moved in to now. I sure wish you the best with all your endeavors.

And it's Sweet that one thing you're doing is updating the good ol' "TenCrazy" plugins. I delved into most of those "back in the day" - And looks like at least some will be good to try out and work with again.

Great! Thanks! -- Bet there are quite a few current Forum members who are wondering what the heck we're talking about. Well - they can just find out!

Hope to see you again soon.

Randy B.

Thanks for the warm (re-)welcome, Randy. Hopefully some new people will discover these plugins and have fun... or at least cure some persistent workflow headaches!

Cheers,
    - m

Well, I still regularly use the 32 bit velocity to CC1 conversion! It corrects what I have always considered a flaw in the Garritan software. I don't know what I would do without it when writing for non-keyboard instruments! I don't know about the auto legato, never heard of it before. Sounds interesting.

Richard

Markleford really filled some gaps when he developed his MFX plugins some years ago - Like I said in my earlier reply, it's great that he's upgraded them to work now in the 64 bit realm. We may not have as many needs for extra controls as we did back then, but his stuff is still useful and very worth exploring.

Richard, your post inspired some comments/questions:

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, I still regularly use the 32 bit velocity to CC1 conversion! It corrects what I have always considered a flaw in the Garritan software. I don't know what I would do without it when writing for non-keyboard instruments!
    That plugin does fill the need in several scenarios, like if one is adapting a General MIDI file one may have done years past, and would like a good start at making the file work well with Garritan instruments.

But I'm lost at why you wouldn't know what to do without the plugin when writing for non-keyboard instruments, Richard. You have a keyboard- You don't have a Mod Wheel? That's the only way to organically perform a volume performance with Garritan. I know you use Sonar - You don't ever go into the PRV and draw in data if you don't have a Mod Wheel?

I also don't understand why the way Garritan instruments work could possibly be considered a flaw? With velocity being the only thing tied to dynamic volume performance, with no other MIDI controller being used, it's impossible to have a low velocity note at a loud volume, or vice versa. By using velocity in combination with CC1 or 11 control you can use low velocity, which produces a slow attack envelope, but have the volume as high as you want, via your
    CC1 or 11 performance. And you can do the opposite, have a quiet note with a sharp attack. If you're only relying on velocity for volume, low velocity always means low volume, and that's stone age MIDI.
    ...I don't know about the auto legato, never heard of it before. Sounds interesting...
    --? As Markleford said, his AutoLegato MFX was very useful back in the day--but since the time he developed that, several years ago now, Garritan incorporated the concept into ARIA. GPO and all the Garritan Libraries have had Auto Legato for a very long time---Have you looked at ARIA and your instruments recently?

Randy

I don't have Aria, which would require a new computer, which is not a consideration.

I have Sonar 4, not likely to update, for the same reason.

I have a Fatar 88 note keyboard, no mod wheel. Since I write mostly for piano and organ, no problems. But now and then, I write for orchestral instuments, and thus, the Markelford plug-in is a blessing! I do not understand why the velocity to cc1 conversion was not programmed into the system, which, to me, would make the mod wheel a redundancy.

Why would I draw in the cc1 data, when I can play it in with velocity, and then run the plug-in? I certainly can achieve better results with the plug in, since the velocity (incipient cc1) is set individually for each note as I enter it using my Fatar keyboard. My initial input is always with Sonar, staff view. I seldom use the piano roll view. I do not use a notation program except for notation, which is imported from my cakewalk files.

My system is ancient, as am I, but I expect both of us to continue somewhat longer. I don't feel and compulsion to have the latest models/version of anything.

I use Garritan sounds almost exclusively, as they fulfill my requirements. So, while the cc1/mod wheel thing is an annoyance, it obviously does not change my opinion that Garritan products are good.

Richard

I don't have Aria...I have a Fatar 88 note keyboard, no mod wheel. Since I write mostly for piano and organ, no problems. But now and then, I write for orchestral instuments, and thus, the Markelford plug-in is a blessing! I do not understand why the velocity to cc1 conversion was not programmed into the system, which, to me, would make the mod wheel a redundancy.

Why would I draw in the cc1 data, when I can play it in with velocity, and then run the plug-in? I certainly can achieve better results with the plug in, since the velocity (incipient cc1) is set individually for each note as I enter it using my Fatar keyboard. My initial input is always with Sonar, staff view. I seldom use the piano roll view...
    Ah! That's right - It comes back to me now, Richard, that you're using the Kontakt versions of Garritan. You told me that quite awhile ago, and it slipped my mind. Yes - That's why Auto Legato isn't known to you. That's only been part of Garritan programming since ARIA.

Pardon me for forgetting. It would have made your earlier post less mysterious to me.

But I didn't know, or remember, that you're not working with MIDI controllers, but only doing note entry in the Staff View. I understand now - Your needs are Spartan, and Markleford's velocity plugin is perfect for what you're doing.

Because of your experience and your perspective from how you work, without a mod wheel, and without recording or inserting the list of MIDI controllers, I can see why having CC1/11 as a volume control for non-percussion instruments could seem unnecessary and even an annoyance to you. So, even though it doesn't make sense to you, since it's never been part of your work flow, all I can tell you is that giving the user more detailed control beyond just velocity volume control is a key concept behind the Garritan programming.

I don't think my examples in my earlier reply made sense to you - Here's one more which could make things more clear:

--The best way to achieve smooth, natural sounding legato with a string patch is to keep the velocities all very low. If volume control was only available through velocity, the MIDI track would barely be audible. If the line is played and recorded from a keyboard, there will be a natural variation of velocities -If the volume fluctuated constantly due to all those different velocities, it would be impossible to produce a natural sounding or even audible track. The volume would be jumping up and down erratically if the velocities were in the middle to high range, and too low if kept in the low range where legato works best. Low velocities on the strings coupled with a nice gently undulating wave of CC1/11 data will result in a good legato passage, impossible to do with only standard MIDI control (velocity control.)

That's why for people using what's available with MIDI more thoroughly, having mod wheel volume control isn't a redundancy, it's a necessity. Either a mod wheel or Expression pedal for CC11 is needed (ARIA processes CC1 and 11 in the same way.)

But velocity isn't really "incipient CC1" - it's the control for the attack and timbre envelopes. Playing a horn at a low velocity, but high CC1 level results in a nice short swell. If only velocity controlled the volume, just as in the string example, the horn's note would barely be heard, if at all.

Something was added to the Instant Orchestra interface called the Expression Switch. It's simply a button on the Controls tab which makes an instrument respond either to "Velocity (GM)" or "Extend (GPO)." That's how the two modes are labeled. The first turns on standard MIDI volume control by velocity. The second engages traditional Garritan control by either CC1 or 11, with the more complex relationship between velocity and CC control available. AND, making this Expression Switch even more useful - Even though velocity controls volume in the GM mode, additional control by CC is also available if the musician wants to use it.

It's been discussed as a possibility that this Expression Switch will eventually be made available in the other Garritan Libraries.

Thank you for the reply and explanation, Richard. I understand now. Maybe you can now better understand that for people using MIDI more thoroughly, all these kinds of controls can be essential. - Thanks.

EDIT: A footnote, something implied in the post above. Without actual Continuous control of volume, there's no way to have a sustained note ebb and flow in a natural way, or to perform crescendos or decrescendos - not with the single, static point of volume available with simple velocity control.

Randy

Just an update to mention that four MFX plugins got the x64 treatment today, including the venerable MFX Auto Legato and (since @rwayland mentioned it) MFX Velocity to CC.

Given that I'm two major versions behind on SONAR, it's not really surprising to me that others are doing just fine on older versions of music software! So here's a little support to help people make that work with old samplers, but newer hardware.

Cheers,
    - m

Go Back to forum