• Register
  • Help

Topic: Choir for Aria

Share/Bookmark

Choir for Aria

I've been toying with Requiem Light as well as Venus and Mars samples by Sound Iron. I wrote to the company and found that indeed no, they would not play in Aria and that there are no plans to make that a possibility. Since MI seems to have no current interest in a choir sample with Latin or Russian phrases or syllables, perhaps someone here knows of a conversion for an existing one. I have a number of choral scores that have been performed and would make a fine digital CD but definitely need more than just oohs and ahhs.

Talking Re: Choir for Aria

I used the microchoir from soundiron which does work in Aria. For some basic Latin or Russian phrases you can get good sounds for $20.00.

Re: Choir for Aria

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    I used the microchoir from soundiron which does work in Aria. For some basic Latin or Russian phrases you can get good sounds for $20.00.
    Thank you kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    I just purchased and downloaded Microchoir. I sounds fine. I have it on my c drive. How do I get it to appear in the library listings in ARIA and Finale?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    I just purchased and downloaded Microchoir. I sounds fine. I have it on my c drive. How do I get it to appear in the library listings in ARIA and Finale?
    I don't have Mirochoir--Sure like the demo page though!-- But you can open any 3rd party SFZ instrument in ARIA by using the "Import" option when you click on an instrument loading slot. That's the first option, listed right below "empty." You just need to know where you put the SFZ folder for the instrument so you can direct the ARIA browser to it.

To keep things organized for myself, I have a sub-folder in my Cakewalk/Sonar folder labeled, logically enough, "SFZ instruments." That's where I'd put this, along with all the other nice SFZ instruments I've collected, many of which have been posted here in General Discussion. That's where I have my own Autoharp SFZ instrument, for instance.

Randy

Randy just beat me to it. There is Randy's import method and there is a tutorial to have show up as a user defined sound here in the forum.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ial-and-a-Tune

Let us know how the sfz files for Olympus MicroChoir works out in ARIA. The price is good for the MicroChoir and sounds as if it would be of value in getting a bit better choral sounds into a mix.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I can get the Microchoir to show up in Aria by click and drag, but I am missing something quite obvious. The pitch I get in Finale is completely different from what I write. Also, I do not have any way (that I have yet found) to control the elements of the Microchoir. That said, what I do get is very nice and it should mix well with Garritan instruments. For example, when I tie three C whole notes together, and select the Latin word Donimus, I get the word in evenly spaced over 2.5 measures on the note F. If - at the same tempo - I type in 4 quarter notes, I get just the first syllable "Do" on each note. Obviously I'm missing something very basic. The sound is well worth the effort to get it under control, but at the moment it is as evasive to me as is DAW software.

If you are going to use this in Finale, you will have to figure out how to use the CC controls for the various options. So, first let's start with how the library works. It is simply the two words Dominum and Radiysa sung out and stretchable. This is controlled by the Keyswitch. The OOhs and Aaahs are looped sections of the two words.

With a CC control, you can change where each word starts to get a subphrase; you can control the release and attack of this phrase to get a quick pace or a slow pace of attack and release for dramatic staccato or flowing phrases. You can also cross fade portions of the word to another word by using two notes on different channels with two different patches. So, if you want to do this in Finale you have to map the CC controls or set them by hand.

You are best to try and experiment directly in Aria before you try it in Finale. I hope this helps. Please post questions and I will try and help.

Go Back to forum