• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Celebrate"

Share/Bookmark

Smile "Celebrate"

Those of you good at playing Garritan Forum Trivia may recognize the title, "Celebrate." It's from my stage musical version of "Tom Sawyer" which I posted over the course of 2012. I've adapted that chorus number for Concert Band, and had a great time doing it - It's scary, but I'm actually enjoying working in Sibelius now - !

First I worked in Sonar, then laid things out and developed them more in Sibelius, back to Sonar again where I produced the demo with an all-Garritan band. It's the same list of instruments I've posted before - The Garritan counterparts of all the standard Concert Band instruments, with contributions from GPO, JABB, COMB and even IO (the superior Timpani to found there.)

Click the poster to play the MP3.

"CELEBRATE" for Concert Band

And carrying on the good new tradition we've started, I'm also posting the first 6 pages of the 16 page conductor's score:

"Celebrate" score sample.

Randy

Re: "Celebrate"

Nice one! Very creative! I liked the martial aspect of the work. There's something for everyone in this piece of music, including very good chordal progressions that make musical sense and a feeling of continuity from start to finish.

I like it!

Thanks for sharing it with us, Mister Randy.

Best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Nice one! Very creative! I liked the martial aspect of the work. There's something for everyone in this piece of music, including very good key changes that make musical sense and a feeling of continuity from start to finish.

I like it!

Thanks for sharing it with us, Mister Randy.

Best,

Larry
    Thank you, Professor! I'm glad you enjoyed. And I'm glad you brought up the key changes -

The original version for stage had quite a few more changes in it. The refrain shifted up a half step every time it was heard! - Eb, E, F, and F#. I was really groaning when I started adapting this for band, knowing I couldn't retain all that. A school band playing in E? In F#--noooo. So, the refrain is always in F in this, but I'm not groaning over that as much as I did at first, because this new arrangement is more developed and cleaner, and I'm happy about that.

The instrumentation is of course rather different from the version I posted in 2012. No banjo or fiddles like the original, but the piece lent itself to band adaptation because in the show, it's for a parade the town has to celebrate Tom Sawyer as a hero. It was always march, with the softer middle section which was originally more folksy.

Appreciate your post, Mr. Larry!

Randy

Hello Randy!

Glad to see you are continuing your pursuit of Concert Band and Sibelius composing/arranging! I enjoyed reading about the differences from the original to this version. I was also glad to see a prominent vibraphone part Rolls are very unusual in vibraphone parts, but I think the use of them where I could hear them was tasteful.

I agree with Larry: this has a nice continuity to it that, I think, would make it more accessible to less-experienced concert bands than some of your previous arrangements. I'm not very good a gauging difficulty of music, but if I were to guess, I would say this is within the range of a skilled high school band.

As with the original, I really enjoyed the composition itself, and was happy to hear it again!

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    Hello Randy!

Glad to see you are continuing your pursuit of Concert Band and Sibelius composing/arranging! I enjoyed reading about the differences from the original to this version. I was also glad to see a prominent vibraphone part Rolls are very unusual in vibraphone parts, but I think the use of them where I could hear them was tasteful.

I agree with Larry: this has a nice continuity to it that, I think, would make it more accessible to less-experienced concert bands than some of your previous arrangements. I'm not very good a gauging difficulty of music, but if I were to guess, I would say this is within the range of a skilled high school band.

As with the original, I really enjoyed the composition itself, and was happy to hear it again!

Thanks for sharing!
    Hi, Michael - Thank you very much for your enthusiastic support.

My sole area of musical endeavor for the last 5 months has been with Concert Band music. Rodney "Composingatnight" really got me going way back in April when he suggested that my piece "Overview" could be adapted for band. Ever since, I've spent full time days working on scores - arranging, notating, producing audio demos.

When I look back, I'm a bit dismayed that after all that time and work, I only have 5 scores "finished." Well, there are 4 which are most officially "finished," and the 5th one I'll be wrapping up after a few more days of scrutinizing details in Sibelius. But, I suppose that's about the most I can expect, especially at my level of experience in using Sib.

You're right, that only two of these, "A Most Amusing Man" and "Celebrate," are viable candidates for the school band market I'm aiming for. "Skyscraper" was the first (and so far, only) thing I wrote specifically for CB, the other scores being adaptations of things I've already written. But "Skyscraper" was meant as an experiment and not something I would really consider submitting to a publisher. Having something more abstract and free form to work on was something of a reward to myself for having to simultaneously deal with the studious precision work needed for working up a notated score. It's my favorite of these 5 pieces I've worked on so far, and at the same time, it's the least liked by listeners. That's typical for me though - Whenever I write something less familiar sounding, the more likely people are to not care for it.

Even though Rodney's enthusiasm for the idea of "Overview" as a Concert Band piece is what started me going, I'm rather sure that piece is also not commercially viable. That's OK - it's the piece that got me delving into CB work, and I'll eventually show it to the gang here - Even though it was the first score I finished, I still haven't posted it.

I've had days when I consider not going on with this big push to produce marketable CB pieces. It's still uncomfortable for me to be restricted to such a relatively small list of instruments, and I really miss working with strings. For so long I've pretty much written and arranged my music in my own devil-may-care way. It still feels strange and a bit suffocating to reign myself in and stick to what will best serve my idea of having some bands actually play my music.

But moments of discouragement are much fewer now because I've gotten Very encouraging responses from publishers. It's looking possible that I will be in a published catalog sooner than I thought earlier. So, I have been given fresh motivation to keep going!

Michael- One more thing. You pointed out that rolls are unusual in Vibraphone parts. HA--I didn't know that! See - I think that's an example of my relative naivete about what's customary and what isn't, but at least at times that naivete can serve me well. Vibes - To me they're like Xylophones in luxurious fur coats, but they're still percussion, and I like percussion to rattle around and amp up the energy. Hopefully I don't come up with too many things that aren't impractical or impossible for musicians, but I don't mind giving them a few things that may be a bit unfamiliar to them!

Thanks again, Michael. I really appreciate your support.

Randy

Especially since it seems quite possible that our Forum may disappear one of these days (soon?), and possibly without an archive of its 8 years of posts being put together - I want to share a sterling example of how great our Garritan Community can be when it comes to being encouraging and supportive of each other. Hopefully we won't see this sort of thing disappear.

Richard "Sururick" sent me the following Private Message because he wanted to post on this thread, but the ailing (and abandoned?) Forum software had one of its all-too-common bouts of not functioning, and Richard couldn't get the message up. PM did work for him, so he wrote, wanting me to know that he'd listened to and enjoyed "Celebrate."

Here's what he wrote.

Subject line:

Server Busy Lost All Text - Great Composition

Message body:

Hey Randy,

I wrote a reply to your composition, "Celebrate," and I got server was busy... second time this has happened to me and all the text I wrote was lost .

Just wanted to say it was a great composition, and I loved the dryness of the instruments.

Regards,

Richard
    --------------------------------
    I thanked you by PM reply, Richard, but wanted to also publicly thank you for being such an outstanding Forum member. Much appreciated!

hehe--"dryness" of the instruments. I worked long and hard to get varying levels of a small hall reverb in the mix, since I don't rely on templates for that - I'm always starting from scratch and trying to improve on what I've done before. And your reaction is probably good for me to hear, because I honestly almost didn't post this yesterday, worrying that the mix was still too wet! For me, this is getting dangerously close to "swimming" - I can hear so much reverberation on this.

I do like my audience to have front row seats where the auditorium isn't interfering so much with the sound, where there's the natural amount of reverberation, "air" on the sound of the band, but not enough to spoil the music, and I think I accomplished what I wanted.

So, yeah I guess the mix is "dry" in comparison to a lot of what we hear, but it really has a lot of room sound on it. Just listen to those trumpets, which I have even farther back than the percussion - there's a strong wash of reverb bouncing back from them.

Thanks, Richard. These simple sounding recordings can involve an enormous amount of fine detail work in the orchestration, and after the month of daily work on this project, it's very nice to hear you appreciating the results.

Randy

Randy! Wonderful piece! I love the clarity of the rendition, and the music is fresh and bright. I also like the bandestration--varied and also fresh. It keeps the listener listening!

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Hey Randy! I just wanted to retry the post again, I feel it deserves a second shot (server was busy last time and all text was lost).

I want to say, that I really liked this. I am beginning to really like the the dryness of instruments these days. I am working on two of my most precious compositions at the moment for my new album and am going the dry path instead of my usual dreamy high use of reverb method which works in some compositions, but I am trying to focus mostly on dry. When I listened to this the other day it reminded me of the beauty of instruments in their dry form. I really liked this composition and great work Randy.

EDIT: I just read your reply on the forum after posting this. Glad to be a part of this community. I am have almost reached the most activity here as compared to the game community where I share my LOE updates. Garritan is the community to be in!!! The non-archive of 8 years of posts is indeed a scary thought. I guess only the creator of this site is the only one who has access to the mysql or similar database which holds the forum data?

Cheers,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    Randy! Wonderful piece! I love the clarity of the rendition, and the music is fresh and bright. I also like the bandestration--varied and also fresh. It keeps the listener listening!

Art
    Coming from the Concert Band guru and mentor of mine that you are, I really appreciate your post, Art. Glad you approve!

As per your recent thread in General Discussion, I know you're on a quest to improve audio demos of your material. I'm glad you think my demo for this sounds good, so maybe it's an example of what you're going for - But I want you to know that it's not as this mix was a snap.

I pretty much agonize over every mix, often needing to spread the work out over weeks before I start to get satisfied with the results. I'm passing that on to help you avoid the notion that producing demos should be fast and easy.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who work faster than me, but for me it's a multi-pass process - I may come up with a test mix in a few hours, but I always need to then set it aside, listen to it again after a few days have passed, and then I inevitably hear new things to work on and improve.

This "Celebrate" mix probably gets a grade of B from me. I'll be going back in to see about making some improvements - BUT it's really the case with every recording - We Always feel we can do better, and that's why just like no orchestration is ever really completely finished, neither is a mix.

Thanks again, Art!

Randy

And yet another miraculous blend of sophistication, wit, charm, and above all, musical integrity and aural exuberance. I so look forward to the next Bowser installment each month with such anticipation, and this doesn’t disappoint.

Of course this will be (and should be!) acclaimed as music which is immediately accessible to the public and especially to Northernsound members because of the familiarity of the music from past posts of Tom Sawyer. But it’s so exciting, at least for me, to hear a totally different arrangement of music I already know and love. I think I’ve mentioned before how I’ve played your pieces from the musical over and over. And this proves how great the music is.

Reading the other posts, I think you are being way too hard on yourself Randy regarding the speed of output for these concert band pieces. Five in just a few months is phenomenal, at least for the caliber of music you are writing. Like myself, I believe you write music, not for the money or recognition so much, (although both are wonderful side benefits obviously,) but for the art of creating great music, or at least the best we can produce, and to enlighten ones soul, and to share your gift with others. And this shows in all your works I’ve heard thus far.

It took Beethoven over 7 years to pull all the elements of his 9th symphony together, Leonardo Da Vinci took 12 years to complete his Mona Lisa and many other examples of course. But in this day of age were expected to produce everything immediately or “as of yesterday”. Scores for movies are expected in 2 weeks after the film is in the can. And it shows. In my opinion, 95% of the scores out there now really suck big time. Every once in a while, fortunately, a gifted composer is given much more time to complete his work and you get a memorable, treasured, masterpiece, such as Howard Shore’s Lord of the Ring scores which took him 2 years to complete the first one, not 2 weeks.

So as I said, with the creation of your high caliber , high standard music, you’re turnaround is nothing short of amazing!
    I especially loved all the harmonic twists and turns in this piece. Having to come back to F major for the refrain can be especially difficult at times depending on how far afield you’ve gone from that key in the incidental musical escapades. A far less gifted composer would have some awkward sounding returns. But even when you change keys 3 or 4 times in just a few measures such as when you come out of the slow middle section (I call it the Chinese bridge for lack of a better description, because for the sound of the first few notes) it comes off with aplomb and a natural, intuitive, harmonic progression which astounds and delights.

I really liked your stage positioning on this one. I don’t know if it is any different than your former posts for CB, but you could really pinpoint the instruments in the aural landscape, sounding full and rich. The reverb was perfect for me because it augmented this staging and didn’t obfuscate your detail of instrument placement.

But most exciting is the news that you’re about to (okay, most likely,… don’t want to jinx you) to close a deal on a published catalog for these gems! I’m so excited for you and Kate. You’ve really been at this CB stuff a short time and look what you’ve accomplished. A big round of applause is required here…………….!!!!!

Thanks again Randy for brightening my day and confirming the fact that this is such an inspirational forum and talented group of composers.

My Best,
    Cass

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast