• Register
  • Help

Topic: JaBB Bends in Sonar

Share/Bookmark

JaBB Bends in Sonar

I'm using Jazz and Big Band in Sonar X2 Producer and am working on a MIDI track.

I need some advice on how to apply a smooth bend to saxophone and clarinet notes. Does anyone know if there are any plugins for this or existing tutorials.

If not I would very grateful if someone could type a clear step-by-step.

Dan mentioned a while back that dragging a note up or down in Digital Performer can have a really smooth bend applied automatically. I don't suppose there's anything like this in Sonar .. is there?

Thanks.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: JaBB Bends in Sonar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    ...I need some advice on how to apply a smooth bend to saxophone and clarinet notes...Dan mentioned a while back that dragging a note up or down in Digital Performer can have a really smooth bend applied automatically. I don't suppose there's anything like this in Sonar .. is there?...
    Michael, it would take a little trial and error to get comfortable with it, but really the easiest and best way to do the bends is simply to record them from your keyboard. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be recording those effectively in one pass - I'm sure of it.

In ARIA, click "Def" for the instruments you're bending, and set the bend range value you want - From 1/2 step to an octave. That sets the potential range for a bend. If you're wanting nice, subtle little scoops throughout a piece, you would want the bend range to be set to 1/2 step, so when you use the wheel, it's easy to get just the slight bend you're after. Even with a setting of 1/2 step, you would want only very slight movements of the wheel. In the PRV, the resulting data would look very small, not taking up much room in the controller pane for bend.

Drawing it in is much more difficult, but can be done as long as you know what natural bend data looks like. That's why I suggest you record it.

I think you're referring to DPDAN's excellent "Rhapsody In Blue" recording, and where he showed us how he did bends, like that long one on the clarinet in the opening, by bending the audio. He didn't do it with MIDI, as I recall. Sonar does have an audio pitch bend tool - V-Vocal--It's not just for vocals. You can do manipulations to the pitch and bend of any audio file with it.

But - I suggest you try performing and recording the bends as described. If you're going for a deep bend, like for a trombone slide, there really is a limit to how realistic that can sound. But if you want to try one of those, then you'd need to set the instrument's bend range wider, even up to the full octave.

Randy

Hello Randy,

Thank you for such an informative reply. That's very helpful.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I can't add anything more helpful to the conversation other than what Randy has already stated. I have done it with trial and error until it sounds right to me and then try to remember how much pitch bend that I added and where in the note I placed it on any other places in my midi lines. I am not sure if there is a CAL file that might help you accomplish this better in Sonar. But now that you mentioned that DP can automate it, maybe that is an area you could look into. Heck, I think I will look into it as well.

Of course some and recently most of my bends in pieces have been done using my EWI as I am more comfortable playing a bend than imitating it in midi notation (drawing it in).
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    ...I have done it with trial and error until it sounds right to me and then try to remember how much pitch bend that I added and where in the note I placed it on any other places in my midi lines. I am not sure if there is a CAL file that might help you accomplish this better in Sonar...I am more comfortable playing a bend than imitating it in midi notation (drawing it in).
    That's right, Rich - Trying to automate something like Pitch Bend, using a CAL routine, things like that - it's just not as good as actually playing it.

If there's a MIDI keyboard in a user's set up, and it has a Pitch Bend wheel, that's the way to go - There's really no need to remember how much and where the bend was placed, you just record the bend in real time, with it being a bit different and more natural for each note. Much like recording the expressive volume control of an instrument with the Mod Wheel or Expression pedal. Drawing it in works, but is a pain in comparison.

Using an EWI or a keyboard is much the same - Those are musical instruments generating MIDI data that controls a soft synth. It's always better to play rather than insert data by hand.

Randy

Go Back to forum