• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Help requested: Giga160 provides me 32 bit depth only

Share/Bookmark

OT: Help requested: Giga160 provides me 32 bit depth only

OT: I would appreciate some help trying to get GS160 to work properly with my soundcard.
    I recently upgraded my PC\'s OS to XP and the Aardvark 24 driver to the only XP driver that is available for that soundcard. The card shows up in GigaStudio as a GSIF compatible card. The card is also set to use 44.1 khz and is a 24 bit card.
    Regardless of what changes I make to the card\'s properties, the only bit depth that GS160 will offer me is 32 bits.
    When I trigger a sample, the playback sounds warbled (at a loss for a better term)and I am guessing that it is a direct result of the 32 bit depth.
    The machine is a 1.7Ghz P4 with 1Gb of RAM and three 7200 RPM drives with several hundred Gb of free drive space.
    Any suggestions on how I can get this card and GS160 to work together properly in XP would be appreciated. Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas. : )

Re: OT: Help requested: Giga160 provides me 32 bit depth only

Some drivers seem to only offer a 32-bit interface to Giga. That\'s true of my MIA, and it doesn\'t cause any problems.

I\'m not sure what would cause the warbling. Try different buffer sizes. There may be some issue with the clock locking. Maybe your driver allows you to run unlocked or locked. You might try those variations, if available. There may be some other settings in your driver that you can try.

The place that Giga truly controls bit depth is in the capture-to-wave feature. 24 or 16 bits is really 24 or 16 bits. Use 24, if you can. But this won\'t affect the warbling issue that you\'re hearing. (It\'s not that the mod wheel is in a non-zero position, is it?)

Sorry I can\'t offer anything more specific. Best of luck.

Jon,
    That was some very good info and I will try your suggestions.
    Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas to you!
    Jack

Jack,

Could you expand on a description of \'warbled\'?

Thanks

Hi Chadwick,

\"Warbled\" was actually not a very good description. It was about as descriptive as bookoos, gazillions, and gobbledygoop. Perhaps \"garbled\" would have been better.

Regardless, the latency was very noticable and some of the notes appeared to echo or repeat. The echo led me to believe that there could have been a feedback loop, but I used only one output on the soundcard and disabled all of the others in the soundcard\'s control panel.

I had already tried everything that Jon suggested with the exception of the lock/unlock feature. I was hoping that would be it, but the Aardvark 24 doesn\'t appear to offer that feature.

I had a Delta 44 on one of my other machines that is still running 98SE so I swapped out the soundcards. The Aardvark is now running fine with GS160 on the 98SE machine and the Delta 44 is running fine on the XP machine. Furthermore, I didn\'t need to adjust any of the Aark 24\'s parameters for it to work with 98SE.

The newest Aark\'s XP driver may be a great improvement over the earlier drivers for working with WDM(and maybe also with GigaStudio), but I didn\'t have much luck with it running GS160 on XP.

Jack

Great news, Jack.

It\'s nice to have a donor machine around - especially when a swap keeps the donor alive for another day. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Be sure to report this problem, so they can be aware their driver is broken. They\'re usually pretty good about fixing them.

Jack

Sounds like what youre describing in Gigastudio might be the floating point at 32bit. This is correct to use it this way. It is also beneficial to have the fp bitrate higher as it can give you a cleaner, quieter sound by turning off the dithering check box.

Dave

Dave,
    The dither checkbox is not checked. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Jack

I will do that Bruce.
    Thanks,
    Jack

Go Back to forum