• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The LAST PIECE! of the "Week Effort Collection" Julian Apple Pie Parade & Dance

Share/Bookmark

Arrow The LAST PIECE! of the "Week Effort Collection" Julian Apple Pie Parade & Dance

Hooray!! I finally finished this collection. I had my doubts of its completion. And wouldn’t you know it, I wrote a march as my final movement and then I hear the stellar one just posted by Randy, and I became really hesitant to even post this which I have to admit pales in comparison to his. But nonetheless, I didn’t want to have to start from scratch again and I want to move on, so I’ll swallow my insecurities, and reluctantly present this now.

I wanted the final piece to be similar to the first piece which was “Meadow Lark” upbeat, bright, faster paced with a contrasting middle section. In the case of Meadow Lark, it was Beethoven versus Joplin , the style wars. In this piece it’s the form wars or meter wars, March versus Waltz. Got the idea from Copland’s short episodic suite “Rodeo” with the Buckaroo Holiday/Hoe-down versus his slow Saturday Night Waltz although it that case they’re separate pieces.
    The waltz meter keeps trying to intervene and wedge its way into the middle of the March and finally wins in the middle section. But as I transition back to the March I wanted it to be a long transition not just a few bridge bars of harmonic shifting so I overlaid the March on top of the Waltz which was a challenge in itself since one is essentially 4/4 and the other ¾. But I think it worked out satisfactory.

I also wrote a march because there is not a lot of march music written for the piano, which is a bit odd when you think about it because the piano is such a great percussive instrument as well as melodic.

It’s dedicated to my new friends here at Julian, California where I live. Julian is famous for it’s apple pies and festivals which keeps the city alive after the gold rush went bust. It got to a point in the 70’s where the apple festival brought in 20,000 people in one weekend to a town of 1,600. Needless to say, Julian couldn’t handle it so the authorities broke the festival into four successive weekends of fun. Traffic is still a nightmare though. But it is a great small town atmosphere circa 1950’s/60’s and partly why it is such an attraction. This piece is dedicated to the spirit of the events (parades, night dances, entertainment) which I admire and cherish the fact they’re not lost in this day of age.

I’ve noticed my last couple of posts here have had very few hits/views and I cannot blame people really because their probably getting sick of my piano music by now. I know I’m getting a bit bored with it myself and need a change. So I’m going to immerse myself back into orchestral composition during the next few months. I’ve forgotten everything however, mostly due to medical issues. All the GUI’s to relearn (Aria, VSL, Play, Kontakt, and to relearn Cubase DAW, how to program all the various libraries, not to mention orchestration. So I won’t be posting any new pieces for a while. Maybe some short studies on orchestration to get feedback on mixing/reverb/ placement and the like. But don’t worry, I’ll still be here and I’ll try to keep up with posting replies to all the great music posted here every week.

And with that, I’ll let you listen to this final episode of “The Week Effort Collection”. Thanks for the listen and hanging in there for all 7 of these piano compositions.

Cass

Garritan Authorized Steinway Under Lid perspective

The Julian Apple Pie Parade & Dance Music mp3
    The Julian Apple Pie Parade & Dance SCORE

Re: The LAST PIECE! of the "Week Effort Collection" Julian Apple Pie Parade & Dance

Cass!

First, Congratulations! It takes a lot of determination to see a project like this through. I really enjoy the juxtaposition of time signatures you have here. It is something I try to do on occasion but rarely successfully, and I certainly don't maintain the transitions as long as you have here. The result is excellent!

Though the mood of this piece is incredibly cheerful, it certainly has a bittersweet touch to it - but perhaps that is simply because we know that it is the last piece in this marathon of a project you have been working on for so long! Again, great work!

I can't say I am tired of your piano solos, especially since it is not something I hear much on this forum. With something like this, especially, it is a great experience every time! However, I am certainly looking forward to hearing your next forays into orchestra! I remember listening to one or two of your orchestral compositions years ago, and they were quite memorable!

Thanks again for sharing this effort! I'm looking forward to your next endeavors!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: The LAST PIECE! of the "Week Effort Collection" Julian Apple Pie Parade & Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Cass Hansen View Post
    ...Hooray!! I finally finished this collection...
    Cass - I was alarmed when I saw the subject line - "Last" piece? ??--- After reading your post, my alarm subsided--I see. Your suite of piano pieces is now complete, and you're shifting gears back into orchestral work. Well that's fine! A new phase of work is certainly better than a "Final" one!

So, once I'd read the post and understood everything, I sat back and had an absolutely entranced time as I was taken on this ever unfolding, exciting musical journey. Your description is perfect, the fun tug of war between waltz and march, causing totally unexpected musical ideas to unfold as the battle went playfully along.

insert--- I'm glad you've enjoyed my marches, but good heavens, with my current focus on Concert Band, I'm doing something Very different from the sort of thing you have in your new piece. A perfect example of trying to compare Apples and Oranges. It would have been plain crazy to re-do your work in reaction to anything I've posted, or what Anyone's posted, for that matter.

As always, your mastery of the piano is awe inspiring. About your piano renderings, by the way, I thought that was high praise when Larry asked if you've been recording live performances of a physical grand piano. That under-the-lid perspective is Wide, but sure does a nice job of enveloping the listener.

Julian! You make me want to go there. Reading about it, and how it inspired this Very inspired piece triggered a fantasy I've long had of being happy to live in a little Mayberryish town that looks like it's stuck in time. --Then The City Boy in me takes charge and reminds me it's just a fantasy.

Your gifts are large and seemingly infinite, Cass. It sounds like you have a challenge ahead of you, getting back up to speed with both orchestration and using all your digital tools - Just remember that we all have that happen to some degree when we've been away from the process for awhile. Un-exercised knowledge tends to seemingly evaporate, but we always soon find out we remember more than we initially thought when plunging back in.

I've loved your piano concerts, and as always will look forward to when you're ready to share more music.

One last thing about the low rate of hits, plays and responses here at The Forum. It's universally true, and in the case of your "Week's Effort Collection," I don't think low attendance has anything to do with what you've posted, or people getting tired of hearing more. The Forum just seems to wane more than ebb. We initialized the "Listening Room Festival" last year to inspire more participation, and it worked for awhile, but now we're down to a crawl again. Part of the current trend to less postings is directly in the wake of the news that there are new Garritan blogs at MakeMusic which seem to be trying to start anew with little if any connection to and continuation of what we've had here for the past 8 years. I saw attendance drop off immediately after we got wind of those developments.

Hopefully this Forum will continue on - but our administrator has seemed to be absent for quite awhile now, I don't get replies from him the way I used to when I'd contact him about Forum software issues and such.

In any case - Nobody's music is being listened to and commented at the rate it used to be. This is just what we have, and though it's a bit depressing, we need to remain grateful for what's left of the Forum.

OH--One other note. THANK YOU for also providing the MP3 link. After a video card driver upgrade, once again I'm unable to play videos at YouTube without a godawful burst of white noise taking over - I had the problem before, but the fix I used hasn't worked this time. ARgh--So I tried your video first, got the noise, was happy to see the MP3 at the bottom of your post.

Thanks for the incredible concert today, Cass - I wish you the very best as you move into the next phase of your life in music!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    Cass!

First, Congratulations! It takes a lot of determination to see a project like this through. I really enjoy the juxtaposition of time signatures you have here. It is something I try to do on occasion but rarely successfully, and I certainly don't maintain the transitions as long as you have here. The result is excellent!
    Hey Michael, thanks for the congratulatory remark. This is the first big project I've tackled since I got back to composing last year. The completion of it makes me feel like I'm back on track after the long hiatus. I'm always fascinated with rhythms and so trying to combine different meters was something I hadn't done before and ended up to me my main focus for writing this piece. Thanks for the thumbs up. With my fascination with rhythm I guess I should have been a percussionist!

Though the mood of this piece is incredibly cheerful, it certainly has a bittersweet touch to it - but perhaps that is simply because we know that it is the last piece in this marathon of a project you have been working on for so long! Again, great work!
    In part you are correct. Definitely has a bittersweet touch to it, especially the waltz but I wanted the contrast between the jubilant march and pensive waltz. However, subconsciously you are probably right on the culmination of a marathon project which was a joy to compose.

I can't say I am tired of your piano solos, especially since it is not something I hear much on this forum. With something like this, especially, it is a great experience every time! However, I am certainly looking forward to hearing your next forays into orchestra! I remember listening to one or two of your orchestral compositions years ago, and they were quite memorable!
    Boy ! you remember that far back? That only happens if a piece is particularly bad or very good, hopefully it's the latter!! lol I'm really getting antsy to orchestrate again so we'll see what happens. Until then, thanks for the reply and I wish you many great percussion creations in your future!

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Cass - I was alarmed when I saw the subject line - "Last" piece? ??--- After reading your post, my alarm subsided--I see. Your suite of piano pieces is now complete, and you're shifting gears back into orchestral work. Well that's fine! A new phase of work is certainly better than a "Final" one!
    Randy, do you ever or are you even capable of writing a short, terse, reply? Just kidding, I'm always grateful for your feedback and thoughts. I thought by putting "Week Effort Collection" after the Last piece on the title page it would be understood that it referred to that. Guess I should go back and make it clearer so people don't freak out , not that anyone would, but we all have enough angst already in our lives, I don't need to add to it.

So, once I'd read the post and understood everything, I sat back and had an absolutely entranced time as I was taken on this ever unfolding, exciting musical journey. Your description is perfect, the fun tug of war between waltz and march, causing totally unexpected musical ideas to unfold as the battle went playfully along.
    This was my main focus for this piece as I explained to Michael--on the previous reply. Since both of you commented on it, I must have achieved by directive in this regard. It was actually challenging but rewarding to do at the same time. Just another way of adding tension to a piece which I hadn't done before.

insert--- I'm glad you've enjoyed my marches, but good heavens, with my current focus on Concert Band, I'm doing something Very different from the sort of thing you have in your new piece. A perfect example of trying to compare Apples and Oranges. It would have been plain crazy to re-do your work in reaction to anything I've posted, or what Anyone's posted, for that matter.
    Yeah, I probably went overboard there, I was having a bad day when I wrote that paragraph. That said, it still makes anyone scrutinize and contemplate about their own work when you just get done hearing a incredible work, which yours falls into that category. And being a March, despite how its being performed, cues you into that mindset. I wouldn't go as far as apples and oranges, but maybe Grapefruit and tangerines would be a better analogy. I guess we should both be grateful the analogy is not between Lemons and Rotten Tomatoes, or we'd both be in trouble! lol

As always, your mastery of the piano is awe inspiring. About your piano renderings, by the way, I thought that was high praise when Larry asked if you've been recording live performances of a physical grand piano. That under-the-lid perspective is Wide, but sure does a nice job of enveloping the listener.
    Realistically I know the extreme width of the image is unnatural, but I'm not going for authentic replication in these tracks. I wanted these pieces to sound like an orchestra rather than a solo instrument so, as you said, envelopes the listener.

Julian! You make me want to go there. Reading about it, and how it inspired this Very inspired piece triggered a fantasy I've long had of being happy to live in a little Mayberryish town that looks like it's stuck in time. --Then The City Boy in me takes charge and reminds me it's just a fantasy.
    And that's where we are opposites. I grew up on a farm in a small town in Iowa and those roots remain. However I've spent most of my adult life in large cities, 25 years in Seattle, a few in LA, some time in Chicago. So finally I'm back to " Mayberry" and I feel at peace and it does my soul so much good. I'm only an hour away from downtown SanDiego so I'm not completely removed from the city life which is great for events, symphony concerts, games, shopping, etc. but then I can escape from it and enjoy the comforts of a small town environment. The important point is to be happy where you live and I've finally achieved that as well as you have...as it sounds.!

Your gifts are large and seemingly infinite, Cass. It sounds like you have a challenge ahead of you, getting back up to speed with both orchestration and using all your digital tools - Just remember that we all have that happen to some degree when we've been away from the process for awhile. Un-exercised knowledge tends to seemingly evaporate, but we always soon find out we remember more than we initially thought when plunging back in.
    I sure hope you're right on this account Randy. My mind's hard drive was pretty well wiped of short term memory during my medical forays of the past couple years. My long term memory was fairly unaffected however, so I'm hoping that at least some of the technical wherewithal of sample composition made the transition into that part of my brain. I'll be finding out shortly.

One last thing about the low rate of hits, plays and responses here at The Forum. It's universally true, and in the case of your "Week's Effort Collection," I don't think low attendance has anything to do with what you've posted, or people getting tired of hearing more. The Forum just seems to wane more than ebb. We initialized the "Listening Room Festival" last year to inspire more participation, and it worked for awhile, but now we're down to a crawl again. Part of the current trend to less postings is directly in the wake of the news that there are new Garritan blogs at MakeMusic which seem to be trying to start anew with little if any connection to and continuation of what we've had here for the past 8 years. I saw attendance drop off immediately after we got wind of those developments.
    Thanks so much for illuminating the probable cause of low hits on my music. I had no idea about the MakeMusic forum and that would definitely reduce activity plus the fact that this forum's server is having all kinds of problems of late, and people just get tired of dealing with it. It puts it more in perspective for me. Thanks.

On a side note, thinking about this, we latter day Garritanites should form some kind of evacuation plan incase one day we wake up and the forum has gone kaput, into the black hole of obsolescence . In case that happens we should all agree to meet up somewhere else and reestablish our community that is so unique and special to us all. Probably to get started, MakeMusic wouldn't be a bad place to start. I heard once at the forum that NorthernSounds has been up for sale for some time now and the owners initially wanted around $10,000. Since much time has passed with no real buyers making themselves present, perhaps what's left of us could buy it as a coop for a $1,000 or two. I would gladly pay up to $250 myself. Loosing feedback on your creative output would be unconscionable for me. We would have to have a member that was really good at computer programming, preferably someone who does IT work as a living to keep the forum up to date with the latest, and more importantly attract new members. We could issue shares to all who chip in. Anyway, just a fantasy of mine, but ever present on my mind.

Thanks for the incredible concert today, Cass - I wish you the very best as you move into the next phase of your life in music! Randy
    Okay then, time to get on the move! Thanks Randy as always for your plethora of thoughts and observations. You really are indispensable on this forum.

Cass

I was whistling your piece even in the shower.
    My God Maestro! You are Great! I do not mean this to make you happy. I just wish you keep reminding yourself that you have a gift, not many others have, you are a truly great composer.
    I am waiting for your next,

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I was whistling your piece even in the shower.
    My God Maestro! You are Great! I do not mean this to make you happy. I just wish you keep reminding yourself that you have a gift, not many others have, you are a truly great composer.
    I am waiting for your next,

Ted
    In the shower EH, well don't forget to gargle when the trills happen. I often whistle in the shower too because if I sang, number one, the shower door would shatter, number two, someone in the neighborhood would call 911, and finally number 3, it would basically sound like I'm whistling anyway!

I don't think I fall anywhere near "Great" Ted, but thanks for the shot of successfulness. I'm more in line of elevated mediocrity perhaps, but where ever my talent rating falls, I just enjoy composing and I get great satisfaction out of it. That's what really counts in the long run. If I were truly "Great" I wouldn't struggle over 2 seconds of music for a whole day to get it right, and I'd be able to read music without a piano (I'm absolutely horrible at sight reading) and I would actually understand what I'm doing, I know I, IV, V chords, that's about it. I'm not a composer or musician for that matter, lack the training, experience, expertise, but I do enjoy music and as I said, composing it in my own fashion. Just wanted to set the record straight about my talents. But all of that doesn't mean I can't write something someone would enjoy and obviously I succeed in your mind's eye and that gives me great pleasure.

Thanks for the reply Ted,....gives me much needed strength to carry on.

My Best,
    Cass

Don't you dare contradicting your elder!!
    I wrote to Randy on an other subject, and I mentioned you as "borderline great". Randy gave me hell because of the "borderline". He also believe that you are great. So, two old geezers are saying it, you better believe it.
    Kidding aside, as Randy said to me recently, no one can really judge his/her own work. So,Randy and I, outsiders, but having excellent taste (and handsome), if we say you are no upper mediocrity, boy, face it, you are great. Period.
    Just don't get to uppity on us.
    Ted

Wonderful!

Such delightful meter changes, Mister Cass! I enjoyed your latest work very much.

Your music AND the piano sound great! No one has mastered the G.A.S. piano better than you.

My best wishes for good health and a long, musically productive life for you.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Wonderful!

Such delightful meter changes, Mister Cass! I enjoyed your latest work very much.

Your music AND the piano sound great! No one has mastered the G.A.S. piano better than you.

My best wishes for good health and a long, musically productive life for you.

Larry
    I suspected this piece might be right up your alley , or at least up your driveway Larry....and it has (and I owe you great thanks and gratitude for this) many, what I call, Alexander "idioms of delight" which I've learned from the great professor here at NorthernSounds over the past couple years.........unexpected meter changes being one of them. In retrospect I should of called it Alexander's Grand-- Apple Pie-- Band! lol

Thanks for the sound kudos on the Steinway. I think Dan Kury has still by far a better sound on his postings of the grand, but I'm working hard at shaping it into the sound I want.

Thanks for the best wishes too, I can always use them and tuck them away for a rainy day when I need them.

My Best,
    Cass

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast