• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to get rid of sucking sound?

Share/Bookmark

How to get rid of sucking sound?

Hi all, I\'m wondering how I can fix the sucking sound which sometimes appear in my pieces. Hope you know what I\'m talking about.

All help appreciated!

Re: How to get rid of sucking sound?

Removing lo-pass filters (in the giga editor) should work if a patch sounds as if it\'s being pulled into a black hole towards the end of each note.

Originally posted by falcon1:
    Hi all, I\'m wondering how I can fix the sucking sound which sometimes appear in my pieces. Hope you know what I\'m talking about.

All help appreciated!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Are you referring to a particular library?

------------
    Alex Cremers

If the end of the note seems to suck quickly to nothing when you lket go of a key, try lengthening the release times. As Paul said, the sound of the filter closing down is sometimes what causes the sucking effect, so making the filter release a little longer than the amplifier release can help there as well.

If the sucking appears between notes which are part of a legato phrase, the cause may be the attack time. This is more difficult. If the actual sample has a fast transient, but the amplifier attack is slow, then you can set a faster attack time and this may help. In this case a slightly longer release time may also help improve how \'tied together\' the notes in the phrase seem. However, if the actual sample has a slow attack, there\'s not much you can do with simple envelope editing. Gigastudio lets you make a very small change in the sample start time, but you may need more. In VSL, GOS and GPO there are tools specifically designed to avoid the sucking effect when playing legato lines.

Heh.. suction. Damon? Care to chime in? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Most out of the box samples suffer from attack suction. This seems to be the case with all sample libraries, except Dan Dean\'s stuff. The problem, however with not having natural attacks is that a simple envelope won\'t do.

The way I work nowadays is that I take as many solo instrument samples as I can find (solo instruments usually have pretty fast attacks) and I just layer all of them on top of the ensemble part (that could have suctioning samples) - this takes away the effect and makes the attacks uneven. As always copy & paste is not allowed(!! bad bad bad !! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] so you have to play and record each part.

All kinds of old tricks work. Layering staccato, marcatos, multiple staccs, multiple marcs etc etc. on top of the suctioning parts will most likely help your piece.

As usual there\'s a compromise here. If you layer too many asmples of the same instrument you start to get an extremely massive sounding orchestration, but it will sound more coherent and real in terms of attacks and releases. Here it\'s just a question of good ears. Finding the right balance.

You could always go low-level and edit your sample data in a sound editor. I\'ve done that with a lot of the advanced orchestra samples.

Step one is to use a non-sucking sample. If you can\'t find one, layer stuff.

Good luck.

Thomas

Originally posted by falcon1:

All help appreciated!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hello falcon,
    I have GOS which has giant sucking sounds, I record them to an audio track, then I use volume automation. After I do that initially, I go back and manually adjust the rubberband volume control in a shape that mirrors the sucking dents in the audio waveform. This is tedious but it works nicely, expecially for smooth legato transitions. I layer stuccatos, marteles and marcotos in depending on how and where I want the bite from the bow. For example, if you want a nice tenuto(1) passage, I record the stuccatos and marcotos, and I nip off the attacks, then time stretch them a little, then I bump them to the right of the initial original attack.

Goodluck,
    Rick

1) tenuto, you start the bow normlly, then speed it up with a bite. At least that\'s the way I rememer our conductor explaining it about a year ago. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Regardless of what it\'s called, the technique is used, like in a waltz.

Turn off the vacuum cleaner.

Thomas wrote> \"As always copy & paste is not allowed(!! bad bad bad !! so you have to play and record each part.\"

Is this really true for layering? If the attacks from different samples don\'t line up anyway, they won\'t start at the same time. And assuming that the first line way played, you\'re already non-quantized.

Then again, maybe you\'d do this to get the optimim advance/delay with respect to the initial section? Or maybe you\'d play it to get it to sound more like a human section where each individual is non-quantized?

I haven\'t formed an opinion here. I\'m just wondering \"why?\".

Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
    Turn off the vacuum cleaner.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Or turn it on [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

LOL Thomas! [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Another thing that works is to make midi envelope dips of your expression curves right in between the notes if you look at it thru your piano roll view (in my case I use Sonar). This smoothes out the suctioning somewhat.
    It\'s called \'Convert midi to shapes\' and you select cc11 (expression) and then manually move the nodes or add nodes on your expression envelope by dipping the nodes in between the notes and raising them again.

Go Back to forum