• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Ukelele, anyone?

Share/Bookmark

Ukelele, anyone?

Does anyone happen to know where I might obtain a ukelele sound font (for Aria, not Kontakt) either free or very low price ($10 for instance)? Thanks all!

Owen
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: Ukelele, anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    Does anyone happen to know where I might obtain a ukelele sound font (for Aria, not Kontakt) either free or very low price ($10 for instance)? Thanks all!

Owen
    I found one. It's in the update of a very large GM SoundFont set called Evanessence:

Evanessence-with Ukelele!

This is literally an old school SoundFont Library - BUT, in case you haven't done it before, you can open SF2 files in ARIA now.

I found something called the "PCMSynth" which works something like an SFZ player, using a folder of .wav files, but different programming. This is a page with info on the Ukulele for PCMSynth in case you're curious.

Ukulele for PCMSynth

And here's the info on PCMSynth if you're interested. It could be another sample player in your tool box I suppose:

PCMSynth

But getting back to the first link, the SoundFont, something encouraging is that on that page you'll see a user saying the Uke is one of his favorite new additions to that Library. Use CTRL+Fine and type Ukulele to see it mentioned. I didn't find a price - This stuff was often free in the past, or very inexpensive.

Repeating - SF2 files (SoundFonts) now work in ARIA without any fuss!

EDIT: It's FREE - I'm downloading it as I type. You need this to unpack the file:

SFPACK

Randy

That's great, Randy, thanks! I have downloaded it. Wow, that's quite a library for free! Maybe we need to add it to the Best Free Libraries thread.

Thanks again my friend
    Owen

That's great, Randy, thanks! I have downloaded it. Wow, that's quite a library for free! Maybe we need to add it to the Best Free Libraries thread.

Thanks again my friend
    Owen
    I haven't success with it, have you Owen? I unpacked it with SFPack, but it's one of those HUGE SF2 files with all the instruments (and it's a very long list) packed into a single file, like GM SF2 files - It's 1.64 gigs! When I tried to open it with ARIA, the error message finally came up saying the conversion failed. Same thing happened when I tried in Sforzando. When I tried to open it with Cakewalk's great SFZPlus, an error message there said it was too big to open.

SO - no luck. Let me know if you've managed to make it work, and if so, what you did!

By the way - I take it you don't have Garritan World? Under the Oceania category there are two different Ukes.

Randy

Randy:

I tried to open it with Aria - no joy. It won't accept sf2 files. Perhaps it can only be done with the sooped up beta version that you have. Instead, I found a free sfz editor online that also doubles as a sf2 to sfz converter (sfZed), and was able to extract the files for the uke and successfully import into Aria. Unfortunately, not really worth the trouble. Not sure what it's supposed to sound like, but nothing like any uke I've ever heard!

I did find a couple of real nice sounding ones online, but I have not been able to do anything other than audition them yet. One of them is just a set of WAV files, and I don't know how to make them into an SFZ voice. The other is in PCMsynth format, only playable by the Caustic player (Single Cell Software). That player cannot be used as a plugin, so all I could do was click the piano keys on the player to hear the sounds. Pretty nice, but no good to me. Plus, it kept shutting down my computer.

You are correct, I do not have World.

Anyway, you can use sfZed to extract any of the sfzs that you might want to use. Go to
    http://audio.clockbeat.com/sfZed.html

Thanks for the report, Owen - Replies inserted and an Important Offer at the end:

...I tried to open it with Aria - no joy. It won't accept sf2 files. Perhaps it can only be done with the sooped up beta version that you have.
    Well hush my mouth! I've made the mistake before of thinking a feature I have has been publicly released when it hasn't been. But dang, I thought for sure importing SF2's (drag-n-drop!) was part of the current ARIA Engine update - not the Player, the Engine--maybe you're behind? New Engine would be v. 1.626.

...I found a free sfz editor online that also doubles as a sf2 to sfz converter (sfZed), and was able to extract the files for the uke and successfully import into Aria. Unfortunately, not really worth the trouble. Not sure what it's supposed to sound like, but nothing like any uke I've ever heard!
    Right, I have SFZed, I just haven't hauled it out to fuss with this - Sounds like it won't be worth it for the weird Uke. Too bad. I have the impression some other sounds in that SF2 should be pretty good though? I'll take a look.

...I did find a couple of real nice sounding ones online, but I have not been able to do anything other than audition them yet. One of them is just a set of WAV files, and I don't know how to make them into an SFZ voice.
    Ah! Putting together a basic SFZ instrument from a folder of .wavs is pretty simple. If you set those .wavs up for me somewhere, like Box, I could put together an ARIA Uke for you!

The other is in PCMsynth format, only playable by the Caustic player (Single Cell Software)...
    Right, I put that link in my first reply. I didn't get too excited about it since it's off in its own little world, stand alone, can't be used as a plugin.

SO - reply about the Uke samples. Within the week I could find time to put the SFZ version together for you.

Randy

...Not sure what it's supposed to sound like, but nothing like any uke I've ever heard!...
    Yikes! Now I've heard it--totally non-Uke. So much for the site bragging about this sound. I looked at the Samples tab in SfZed - the ones for this "Uke" are all from an acoustic guitar! No wonder it doesn't sound right. It's just recycled guitar samples, probably used in the same SF2 set. What a disappointment.

Auditioned other sounds too - Nothing thrilled me, not saving.

But, Owen - Take a look at SfZed - You could put together your own Uke with that program if you want, using the samples you found and like. I've put a few things together with SfZed before - You can see where you import audio files, then in that main window you set the upper and lower note limits, tune the sample if needed. On the Opcode tab, it will insert some SFZ opcode controls for you. The last window has the SFZ player from Cakewalk to audition the sound - well, guess you need that on your machine for that to open. But - all the basic tools are there.

I've used something with a bit more sophistication for things like my Autoharp SFZ instrument - That's what I was thinking of using for your Uke. But after auditioning this SF2 file in SfZed, I wanted to be sure you understood that you could actually cook up your own Uke there if you're so inspired.

Randy

I have the most updated engine, but no joy. Anyway, sounds like it didn't work properly, anyway.

Glad it wasn't just me thinking the Uke was terrible!

Oh man, I'm so sorry! Can't believe I didn't spot that you'd already put those links in your post. I'm normally good about reading people's posts carefully. All the work you put into yours, they certainly deserve close attention.

Thanks for the directions about making my own SFZ. I will have a play. If I succeed, I will post it for everyone to enjoy. Ukes seem to be in vogue right now, well, at least in Jolly Old England.

...Thanks for the directions about making my own SFZ. I will have a play..
    Owen, hope you have fun using SfZed to put the Uke together, but the offer still stands to assemble it for you if you get bogged down.

Hopefully those samples you found will be labeled by their original pitch. In the editing window of the program, set the pitch range for each sample so the gaps are filled in-between sampled notes e.g. If you have a C sample, and the next one is F, then the C needs to be stretched up to D, and the F stretched down to Eb, splitting the difference between the 2 available samples. See? And there's a tuning function if you need to adjust the samples. Using a software tuner can help with that task.

Take a look at the Opcodes available on that tab, and see if you'd like to add any of those functions to the file.

If you don't have the free "SFZ" from Cakewalk, that's what SfZed uses as a preview player on the last tab.

About the disappointing Evanessence SoundFont set - That so-called Ukelele actually worked properly, it was functional, but unfortunately the programmer cheated and used the acoustic guitar samples he had instead. I don't know why he bothered - His "Uke" ends up sounding the same as his "Acoustic Guitar."

Once you have the Uke SFZ working, the next challenge will be to get it sounding acceptably natural. Strums are virtually impossible to get right without using a plugin. There are simple utilities like Sonar's "Strum" CAL routine to help with that.

Randy

Just thought I'd drop my 2 cents in here, if I may.

Sforzando and ARIA only seem to be able to handle single instrument sound fonts, not be able to extract an instrument from a General MIDI sample set. So you would have to do some work with one of the available editors to extract the sample(s) needed together with the programming code into a single instrument file.

Alternatively you could take a look through this site http://www.sf2midi.com/soundfonts/ and do a search for a Ukulele.
    You'll find many embedded versions there.

There's a paid for one for 19 dollars at http://www.lyricaldistortion.com/sto...products_id=23 there's a demo toward the foot of the page. It can be had in sfz format too. It's about double your price though!

John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Go Back to forum