• Register
  • Help

Topic: 'Stat sua cuique dies': new choral piece!

Share/Bookmark

'Stat sua cuique dies': new choral piece!

Hello!

Back again in a long while with a choral piece that uses lyrics from Virgil's 'The Aeneid':

'Stat sua cuique dies
    breve et irreparabile tempus [omnibus*] est vitae
    Set famam extendere factis
    hoc virtutis opus.'

* = left this word out of the song, since I struggled coming up with a rhythm for it, purely a compositional decision

'Each one has his appointed day;
    short and irreparable is the brief life of all.
    But to extend our fame by our deeds,
    this is the work of manhood (or virtue).'

This mp3 rendition has GPO strings and Steinway piano. Just for this forum, since I usually have other libraries in use as well

Here is the link:
    https://app.box.com/s/44rr01724mp0wnhlu7dw

Looking forward to your feedback
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Re: 'Stat sua cuique dies': new choral piece!

Quote Originally Posted by Brindle View Post
    ...This mp3 rendition has GPO strings and Steinway piano. Just for this forum, since I usually have other libraries in use as well...
    Hi, Brindle - It's great to see you making an appearance here - And it's an auspicious entrance, since you bring with you this lovely composition.

There's a gentle grandness to it, an intelligent thoughtfulness in its contemplative mood. The voicings are rich, giving the piece a timelessness, like a hymn which has been expanded to embrace modern harmonic theory.

I think it's marvelous, and your recording is serving your work very well.

And you are saying that the lyrics will be sung - are the strings performing the choir's lines?

I pulled out that quote from you to remind you, or let you know if you didn't know before, that a group decision was made a year ago to expand the compass of music posted here in The Listening Room. To encourage the sharing of more music, pieces that use non-Garritan instruments are permitted, so we have the chance of hearing each other's music regardless of what we used to make the recordings. When instruments from sources other than Garritan are used, we just ask that those be listed so there's no confusion about what's being listened to.

Thank you again for posting an especially engrossing piece of music.

Randy

rbowser, thank you very much for your kind words! I was especially glad to hear the thoughts of it being hymn-like.. since Virgil's epic writing is something so distant, so ancient.. it feels so relevant. For me, when writing this, I had in mind a very old temple setting, ancient civilisations etc. Also, I hope the piece conveys a certain uplifting mood, since the title says 'There will be a day for everybody' (more or less), so that's what I wanted to be present as well.

There is a different recording with Vienna Symphonic Library strings (that come with Kontakt 5) and Alicia's Keys piano here: https://soundcloud.com/leuphonie/stat-sua-cuique-dies
    And to confirm, yes the strings play along as does the piano, only difference is that the strings are sustained whenever possible, yet the piano helps to hear the rhythmic pattern more easily.

Glad to receive your feedback, as always - rbowser
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Hello Brindle!

I enjoyed the subtle mood changes throughout this composition. Though I felt the overall mood was somber, it certainly had some majestic moments. I think overall the music really complemented the words making this a great musical interpretation!

Glad to see you back at the forum, and I hope to hear more from you! Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Thanks very much sanyarem, your feedback is greatly appreciated!

I enjoyed this. It moves forward in a well constructed manner and would indeed make a captivating choral work. The highest parts are within the alto range so I was wondering whether this was intended for lower voices only or is it SATB?

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch View Post
    I enjoyed this. It moves forward in a well constructed manner and would indeed make a captivating choral work. The highest parts are within the alto range so I was wondering whether this was intended for lower voices only or is it SATB?

Graham
    Thanks for your feedback. This is SATB yes, but I guess it could be called' low' with reference to some parts in the score.. yet when writing choral music, my preference is never to write 'difficult' or overbearing vocal parts, which means that I'll always try to keep them in the middle or low range, only going high when it's really necessary.. as in the climax.

The highest soprano note here is a g, not so sure about the altos, but they're also quite in the middle, in their juicy low alto range. Tenors might have an occasional f, basses have a low e somewhere around the climax where the chord is massive, wide and sonorous.

Go Back to forum