• Register
  • Help

Topic: JaBB CC Data Drawing .. Using A Tablet (Not Asprin)

Share/Bookmark

JaBB CC Data Drawing .. Using A Tablet (Not Asprin)

I'm using Jazz and Big Band in Sonar Producer and am drawing in CC data in the PRV window.

Has anyone tried using a graphics tablet to do this instead of using the mouse? I've never used a graphics tablet in my life but it seems to me that using a tablet would be easier than a mouse giving far better control resulting in smoother graphs which, logically, might result in smoother performance.

The Wacom Bamboo tablets seem good and reasonably priced.

EDIT I've just learnt that graphics tablets are program specific so it's very unlikely they'll work with Sonar or Finale. Instead, the replacement touch pads available to replace a mouse is an option that works just like a tablet. These touch pads are like those on laptops only larger. Anyone tried using one of these to draw in CC data?

What do you think?
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: JaBB CC Data Drawing .. Using A Tablet (Not Asprin)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    I'm using Jazz and Big Band in Sonar Producer and am drawing in CC data in the PRV window.

Has anyone tried using a graphics tablet to do this instead of using the mouse? I've never used a graphics tablet in my life but it seems to me that using a tablet would be easier than a mouse giving far better control resulting in smoother graphs which, logically, might result in smoother performance.

The Wacom Bamboo tablets seem good and reasonably priced.

EDIT I've just learnt that graphics tablets are program specific so it's very unlikely they'll work with Sonar or Finale. Instead, the replacement touch pads available to replace a mouse is an option that works just like a tablet. These touch pads are like those on laptops only larger. Anyone tried using one of these to draw in CC data?

What do you think?
    Michael, your post inspired me to dust off my tablet and refresh my memory of how it works with Sonar. I've confirmed what I remembered - that it works fine in. Your post isn't correct about a tablet not working with Sonar. They theoretically can interact with any program.

Here's my tablet, much more affordable than Wacom -

And here's the Amazon listing for it:

DigiPro WP8060 Graphics Tablet

I got mine through PulseTV.com at half the Amazon price. The 8" X 6" dimensions listed are for the active drawing area of the tablet, not the size of the whole unit. Cordless pen, graph on the tablet to help guide you. 512 levels of pressure sensitivity which is great for graphic programs like PhotoShop. It comes with several software utilities, like for making and attaching cursive signatures to documents and email.

AND, just now I tried it out again in Sonar's PRV. With barely touching the pen to the surface, I drew beautifully detailed, perfectly curving lines of data in a controller pane.

--But - I had to dust this off to try it, because I never went beyond the stage of thinking of it as a toy. It works fine, both in Sonar and in PhotoShop where I used it for awhile. But to me it was just trading one control for another - a pen for a mouse. You still have to grip something and move it--I didn't find the tablet to be any great advantage. If I was doing more painterly kind of work in PhotoShop it would be worth using more, since the pressure control allows lines to flow and change more like real paint brushes. Touch sensitivity isn't needed in Sonar of course.

When I tested it just now in Sonar, a question came up for me. I own Sonar X1 but abandoned it a very long time ago. I'm still using the last actual Sonar, 8.5.3.282, and in that version, you had to hold down CTRL while sweeping through a controller pane if you wanted continuous curves. Otherwise, only single bits of data can be inserted. So when I used the tablet just now, I had to have my left hand on the computer keyboard to hold down CTRL.

But I think in the new X versions from Cakewalk that you can do continuous lines/curves without holding CTRL?-- If so, the tablet would be even easier to use.

For me, using a tablet is an interesting change of pace, but it's not compelling enough for me to use it all the time. Drawing with a mouse is just as easy.

QUESTION, Michael - In this post, and your recent one about pitch bend with JABB, you talk only about drawing in data. On the pitch bend thread, I recommended recording bends in real time, using your pitch bend wheel. I thought you had a keyboard?-- If so--why are you always drawing instead of using controls. With just a bit of practice, wheels make the work tremendously faster and much more natural with their results. -- ?

Randy

Hello Randy and thanks for trying your tablet there.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Michael, your post inspired me to dust off my tablet and refresh my memory of how it works with Sonar. I've confirmed what I remembered - that it works fine in. Your post isn't correct about a tablet not working with Sonar. They theoretically can interact with any program.

Randy
    This is interesting. I went into town this afternoon and called into 'Maplin's' who had the 'Wacom' on the shelves. They told me that a tablet wouldn't just replace the mouse and would only work with certain programs. Your trial there completely rejects that. Soo, it's back to looking at those again.

Unfortunately the model you suggest doesn't seem to be available here in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

QUESTION, Michael - In this post, and your recent one about pitch bend with JABB, you talk only about drawing in data. On the pitch bend thread, I recommended recording bends in real time, using your pitch bend wheel. I thought you had a keyboard?-- If so--why are you always drawing instead of using controls. With just a bit of practice, wheels make the work tremendously faster and much more natural with their results. -- ?

Randy
    Yes I do have an M-Audio Ketstation 61 es but at the moment it's not here. When I have it back I'll try the wheel but, as you say, I think it will take a bit of practice.

Apart from the keyboard input I would like to be adept at drawing in the data anyway.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    ...They told me that a tablet wouldn't just replace the mouse and would only work with certain programs. Your trial there completely rejects that. Soo, it's back to looking at those again.

Unfortunately the model you suggest doesn't seem to be available here in the UK.

Yes I do have an M-Audio Ketstation 61 es but at the moment it's not here. When I have it back I'll try the wheel but, as you say, I think it will take a bit of practice.

Apart from the keyboard input I would like to be adept at drawing in the data anyway.
    It's correct that tablets won't automatically work with all programs - You have to try and see on a case-by-case basis. I got my tablet specifically for PhotoShop, it works there nicely, and the bonus is that it works well in Sonar - if I want to toy with it some more there. It did make awfully pretty CC11 curves earlier today.

Too bad that particular tablet isn't available in the UK - It's probably not as robust and full featured as the Wacom--but I find those just too expensive.

AH - your keyboard's out. Do try recording with the wheel when you have it back. It's really not all that tricky - You just get the feel for it with some experimenting. I record things like little dips and scoops in one pass, hardly ever need to fuss more with them after that.

Randy

Go Back to forum