• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ARIA Player Updated .. Now Having To Reload Instruments When Opening Files

Share/Bookmark

ARIA Player Updated .. Now Having To Reload Instruments When Opening Files

Having just fully reinstalled my computer I have the latest ARIA Player and engine updates.

Now I find that each time I reopen my files all the instruments have been removed and now I have to reload all my instruments every time.

Does anyone else find this or is it just something going on here?
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: ARIA Player Updated .. Now Having To Reload Instruments When Opening Files

Having just fully reinstalled my computer I have the latest ARIA Player and engine updates.

Now I find that each time I reopen my files all the instruments have been removed and now I have to reload all my instruments every time.

Yup. Sounds familiar. I am using player v. 1.620, and unfortunatley, I updated to engine v.1.626. Instruments and whole ensemble setups then started dropping, and staves in Finale wouldn't observe dynamics. MakeMusic told me to roll back the Aria player to 1.620 with an uninstallation and reinstallation. Again, unfortunately, the engine 1.626 ensemble files aren't supported by the rolled back version, so if I do roll back the Aria version, I have to reset everything. I didn't do that. I'm using some work-arounds by diligently saving my Aria ensembles and using layers 1, 3, and 4, which do seem to observe dynamics. Apparently, layer 2 doesn't observe dynamics for any staff. I hope you have better luck with this than I have.

So the lesson here is: DO NOT update to engine 1.626 if you're using Aria Player 1.620.

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post

!! This is alarming - and it's the first report I've seen of this happening. Before writing this reply, I posted a message at the non-public Development Forum so the ARIA programmers can be alerted. In my post, I included the link to this thread.

Since I've never had an issue of ARIA coming up empty when re-opening a Sonar project, I don't know how to help, Michael - I just have one thought that I need to post in case it's helpful:

--When the ARIA Engine was updated, there were warnings posted in several places that before installing it, the user had to make sure his ARIA Player was updated first, otherwise things would go haywire. Just now I looked around for that kind of warning still online, and I found it in one place, at the ARIA Engine site.

"ARIA PLAYER users should first look at updating their full ARIA PLAYER before running any ARIA ENGINE update...Otherwise, running the update below is not recommended."

The source page:

ARIAEngine.com

It does look like you're not alone here, Michael. Art, you said:

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    ...I updated to engine v.1.626. Instruments and whole ensemble setups then started dropping, and staves in Finale wouldn't observe dynamics. MakeMusic told me to roll back the Aria player to 1.620 with an uninstallation and reinstallation. Again, unfortunately, the engine 1.626 ensemble files aren't supported by the rolled back version, so if I do roll back the Aria version, I have to reset everything. I didn't do that.

I'm using some work-arounds by diligently saving my Aria ensembles and using layers 1, 3, and 4, which do seem to observe dynamics. Apparently, layer 2 doesn't observe dynamics for any staff. I hope you have better luck with this than I have.

So the lesson here is: DO NOT update to engine 1.626 if you're using Aria Player 1.620.

Art
    This is really a mess. -- BUT - it's premature to say the lesson is to not update your Engine. I've gone through all of the updates as they've been released, and no problems like what's being said here came up. It can't be as simple as avoiding the Engine update - its bug fixes are critical.

If a developer doesn't post on this thread in response, I'll post any information I find out the instant I get it.

Meanwhile - Michael, make sure you're doing what Art describes here. Once you have an ensemble assembled in an ARIA instance, be sure to save it as a user preset so you can re-load everything easily.

Art - By "layers 1, 3, and 4"-are you talking about the instrument slots in ARIA? And an instrument loaded in slot/layer 2 doesn't respond to anything?--

Seeing this post first thing after getting up this morning sure helped me wake up. Bad news - SORRY things are so messed up guys - I'm really puzzled.

Randy

This is really a mess. -- BUT - it's premature to say the lesson is to not update your Engine. I've gone through all of the updates as they've been released, and no problems like what's being said here came up. It can't be as simple as avoiding the Engine update - its bug fixes are critical.
    This advice comes from MakeMusic in response to my creating a support ticket for this problem.

By "layers 1, 3, and 4"-are you talking about the instrument slots in ARIA? And an instrument loaded in slot/layer 2 doesn't respond to anything?--
    Sorry for being unclear here. I'm talking about layers in Finale staves.

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels

Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

This advice comes from MakeMusic in response to my creating a support ticket for this problem.

Sorry for being unclear here. I'm talking about layers in Finale staves.

Art
    Thanks, Art - Layers - What Sibelius calls Voices.

So MM's support seem to be aware of this problem - I just don't get it. I keep an eye on posts about user experiences, and I've never run across these particular problems before. Like I said, this is really a mess! I sure hope some info is given to me by the developers - Up until now, I was thrilled that the Engine had been updated, since it fixed things, added things - All's been great on my computer.

Hopefully we'll find out what's going on!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    ...each time I reopen my files all the instruments have been removed and now I have to reload all my instruments every time...
    Michael, are you talking about a Sonar project, or Finale project?

Randy

So MM's support seem to be aware of this problem
    In my experience, it means that one support tech is aware, or was aware, of a problem. The problem may require several support tickets to garner greater MakeMusic attention. Not trying to be negative here--just realistic as I understand how things work.

Seems to me this problem suggests a big disconnect between MakeMusic and those who have created the Aria player.

Randy, in light of my experience with MM, is there anything you can do to get this problem solved with those up the ladder?

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels

Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Randy... is there anything you can do to get this problem solved with those up the ladder?...
    I drew the developers' attention to this thread first thing this morning. So far there's one reply asking for clarification if it's a problem with only Finale, which version, and/or if it's also a problem in Sonar. I was assuming Michael was talking about Sonar, since that's what he's been posting about - but clarification is needed.

Randy

Art, this doesn't address everything you've mentioned, but I have a message from David Viens from Plogue. He said they only test Finale 2012, but he installed Finale 2011 to run tests.

He says:

"Just tried to load a Document Setup Wizard: Garritan SATB + Piano using 2011B and all aria slots load as it should.
    Can this user try that?"

I'll write to him again, pointing out that you're also talking about dynamics not being followed.

Now I'm not sure which version of Finale you're using. Could you please remind me?

Randy

Randy: I use Finale 2011b.r2. Also, my support ticket of August 23, 2013, was Incident: 130822-000105, and I dealt with "Colin S."

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels

Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Go Back to forum