• Register
  • Help

Topic: Timpani trills

Timpani trills

Hi all, I was wondering how I could do a timpani trill without the trill being affected from the rit. I have in the end of my piece. Is it the only possibility to use recorded timpani trill sample?

Btw. I use Cubase SX

Re: Timpani trills

Hmmm... does this mean Yes or No? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Why don\'t you play real time, while it does rit?

Let\'s say, you want to have C trill.
    Use C and G or something to do recording, because it is easier to play.
    Then you transporse al l G notes to C.

It should not be so difficult to do it...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Timpani ROLLS, people, ROLLS. Trills are for flutes!! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

(yes, I know this is a language thing)

Some collections have recorded rolls, others don\'t. Reading between the lines, I\'m guessing that this is a situation where a roll has been programmed note by note in a static fashion, and the ritardando is causing it to sound bad.

Depending on the tools at hand, you might try using a \"roll patch\" up until the ritardando, then program the lead up to resolution by hand to get a naturalistic feeling. If you are working with a timp patch with enough layers (and are using enough reverb), you may get a realistic result playing the entire thing in manually.

Render it to audio without the tempo variation.

You can do pretty convincing manual rolls with Sam\'s free timpani because of the left and right hand layout on the keyboard.

Alex Cremers

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:

(yes, I know this is a language thing)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I propose an international shorthand for the timp rolls: \"trolls\" [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Actually, if you want some serious timpani samples, I\'d get Ultimate Timpani from DS Soundware. I ultimately the \'sound\' of the qlso timpani (sweeeet), but they don\'t contain as many articulations as UT such as cresc. descr. hand hits, a TON of velocities, effects, glissandi, ect ect ect.

Go Back to forum