• Register
  • Help

Topic: May I be so bold as to suggest a new convention

Share/Bookmark

May I be so bold as to suggest a new convention

OK. I\'ve thought about this a bit. And I\'m sure everyone else on this forum has come up with this too.. but here goes

It would be great if sample library authors would put more efforts into both the demo, and the list of instruments. The problem with demos now is this: they usually (not always, mind you) showcase only a few instruments by themselves, then at the end there\'s some funky musical piece using some or all of the instruments.

Well, the problem here is that not all the instruments had their little solo routine. If I\'m going to pay $600, you can bet I want to hear every single instrument in the sample library. Let\'s take QL Rare Instruments for example. The demo is pretty good, but since I may not know what an alpen horn or a sarangi sound like, I won\'t know it when I hear it in the demo (if it\'s in the demo). At least it would be easier to figure it out if each instrument were played by itself only.

The second problem I have with these sites is when they fail to list ALL instruments, or do not list the breakdown of each instrument (articulations, etc.). Yes, it\'s a lot of text, but as I said above, when people are shelling out $300, $400, $800 for samples, and there is no try-before-you-buy (that I know of), we should be able to preview as much as possible. It would be great to see a list of samples within the instrument.. for example, taking QL Rare Instruments as an example again, instead of just saying \"TABLAS\" (soundsonline.com), it would nice to see what we would see if we expanded the instrument in GigaStudio, and get a list like:

- Tablas
    Bols (C1-A1)
    KEY rhythm

or for bagpipes:

- Bagpipes
    Drone
    MW Chanter Reed
    LAY Drone/Chanter

So what do you all think? Or am I just being whiny again? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I\'d just like to see the next big library do all this stuff.. so we can REALLY preview a library well. SAM Horns was a good example. Didn\'t have too much in the way of a list of samples, but the demo rocked. There was a guy narrating and going through all the different things you could do with SAM Horns. That\'s the way a demo should be.

Your thoughts on this?

Re: May I be so bold as to suggest a new convention

Just ask users on this site, generally someone can do a quickie, or help with info.

Yah it\'d be nice if all developers would give every articulation and more expansive demos, but if you ask me, I\'d rather developers spend the time either taking a break, or making more and better sample libraries. Not to mention, I\'d rather the prices be lower first [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    Just ask users on this site, generally someone can do a quickie, or help with info.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, then I\'d say the people on this forum rock. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I\'ll keep that in mind before I make a purchase.

Yah it\'d be nice if all developers would give every articulation and more expansive demos, but if you ask me, I\'d rather developers spend the time either taking a break, or making more and better sample libraries. Not to mention, I\'d rather the prices be lower first [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, they\'ve gotta make a living. And usually the price of the sample library reflects the quality. Except in the case of SAM Horns.. man, that library is AMAZING for the price!

oh believe me, I know. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'m not really complaining about the prices, more so that if I *WAS* going to bicker about something....it\'d be the prices.

The only real problem I have with the prices is that I cant buy them all at once [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .

Maybe Eastwest should look into payment plans [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

my credits pretty terrible so I dont have any high limits on the cards (a good thing BTW) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum