• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Disk Management (I Need A Terabyte!)

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Re: Disk Management (I Need A Terabyte!)

Most motherboards are coming with 4 IDE channels these days. I just add drives...much easier than keeping things offline. If you run out of IDE channels, you can just buy a PCI-card and add more. My DAW box has 6 drives, and the Giga boxes each have 4. Of course, next comes the IsoRaxx, unless you have a machine room...the noise adds up.

also i use a usb 2.0 120 gbyte drive where all samples from my main pc are coming from...

there is really no loss of speed or data transport...everything works fine...

given you are on osX i\'d like to point you to redmatica - great piece of software to manage libraries

Christian, I don\'t see where he mentioned OSX.

I think you should plan on having all the samples you are using online at all times. Disk drives are incredibly cheap, and will continue to be so. Perhaps I misunderstand your question.

If you\'re actually on a PC, there is a new PCI bus (called PCI-Express) coming in mid-\'04. Then, 8 drives on an SATA controller will be commonplace. You can put them in a RAID configuration if you like. If you\'re on a Mac G5, I think it has PCI-Express right now, so you can start to look at (up to) 8 drives immediately.

In my mind, the issue of \"backup\" is maybe thornier. But I guess you don\'t really have to back up samples if you still have the disks.... ;<).

EXSManager is mandatory if you\'re using EXS and lots of samples. That\'s why Christian brought it up, and it\'s absolutely relevant.

Most motherboards ship with 4 IDEs? I can\'t find a retail outlet that has a good MB with 4 IDE\'s for the life of me. Been looking for a while too.

So for the time being , I have to settle for just 2. Anyone know of a good, fast MB with 4 IDEs?

Disk Management (I Need A Terabyte!)

OK, between me own recent purchases and a gift from Santy, if I add up the total # of bytes used by all my samples it is approaching several hundred Gigabytes.

***************Holy hamhocks!***********

And things look only to get more intense as each succeeding library gets more and more detailed.

So.... How is one to manage all this?

1. There\'s no way I can keep all of this on-line at all times.

2. But many libs share samples between their myriad programs, so it\'s not so easy to pick and choose the programs you want to keep on-line to save space.

3. Plus, if you try to pick and choose, you run into the problem over time of auditioning off-line samples. What: you have to reload the entire lib every time you want to try something new?

So: How do YOU guys manage this issue?

I was thinking of writing a program to:
    1. Scan FXPs (I use Halion) and determine which samples it needed and then
    2. Copy just those samples from another drive
    3. If the files are already on-line, I could have the option of deleting them from my disk if I no longer want them on-line.

...That way I could (relatively easily) minimize the disk space and audition the samples as needed.

Discuss! Discuss!

hmm i maybe dunno really if i got it, but where is the problem of buying diskspace ???

i have \"only\" 220 GB on my master-music computer and 40g on my laptop and 40 gigs on my other pc which i also use for internet and other stuff.

so after a while i know which samples i use all the time.
    so i setup (i work with cubase sx) an arrangement with the basic instruments i need. (strings, brass, woods, perc)
    when i start a new arrangement, open up my configured session with all instruments and kompakts open which i need later (takes about 15 mins i guess).

then i start working with all the stuff i want and need. if there are additional instrumemnts later, i can load them in whenever i need them...

i mean if you wanna scan and copy files and samples on another HD or so, it takes the same time like opening up a preconfigured session.

...hmm, maybe i didnt get the clue [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

so basically i use all my HD space on my three cpus like a sample server and my arrangements are mostly just midi files \"soaking\" the samples from the several HD\'s...

....hmm, i think i didn\'t get it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Christian, I don\'t see where he mentioned OSX
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Green Red Brownell, i don\'t see where he mentioned he is not ;-)
    btw: PCI-Express and serial ATA are two different things, the first is a new protocol for the PCI-bus on a motherboard(see also PCI special interest group) whereas serial ATA is a new protocol to connect drives - point to point so far, chaining devices may be implemented in future versions (see also the serial ata workgroup)
    the G5, at least most configurations, provide a PCI-X bus and two serial ATA connectors

MusicalCharities, do a search for eg. the newer asus boards - they come with a lot of onboard channels (up to 4 parallel ATA for 8 drives and 4 serial ATA for another 4 drives) - but also other vendors have boards with similar options

My current mobo has 2 133 IDE channels.
    The master on channel 0 is 120gb
    The master on channel 1 is 120gb (Cubase CPRs)
    The slave on channel 1 is my CD-burner

Question: Will I have better success adding a large drive to the slave position of channel 0 or would it be better for me to replace the current master (C drive) with the new drive?

IOW: if both drives are sharing the same channel, am I more likely to encounter the dreaded clicks/pops etc?

Go Back to forum