• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 64 12341151 ... LastLast

Topic: Yellow Tools Announcements

Share/Bookmark

Yellow Tools Announcements

Yellow Tools have recently posted a statement on their website that all of their products will now include a USB \"authorisation key\" ie dongle that must be plugged in both at the authorizaion stage and when operating the product in order to have it work.

I emailed them earlier to express my concern about their products being self-contained rather than allowing access to the samples. They replied that they WILL NOT be releasing a GIGA/Halion/EXS/Kontakt version and prefered their \"custom\" (read locked) MVI engine.

Now they have also included a new dongle copy-protection scheme, this is BAD news!!!

Your thoughts...

Ben H

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Yellow Tools Announcements

Originally posted by Ben H:
    Yellow Tools have recently posted a statement on their website that all of their products will now include a USB \"authorisation key\" ie dongle that must be plugged in both at the authorizaion stage and when operating the product in order to have it work.

I emailed them earlier to express my concern about their products being self-contained rather than allowing access to the samples. They replied that they WILL NOT be releasing a GIGA/Halion/EXS/Kontakt version and prefered their \"custom\" (read locked) MVI engine.

Now they have also included a new dongle copy-protection scheme, this is BAD news!!!

Your thoughts...

Ben H
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Stop buying from them. Support vendors who support open formats.

Yep, Yellow Tools just lost another customer here.

Thomas

the really sad thing that this dongle protection will without a doubt be kracked as soon as it comes out if not before. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

at this rate we will have about 50 dongles hanging off our computers soon enough. Too much crap that can go wrong.

I\'ve not really been thrilled with the Yellow tools products I\'ve got anyway - no big deal to post a little boycott [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J-

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    Stop buying from them. Support vendors who support open formats.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Agreed! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Bruce and others,

I know we\'ve talked to this in other threads, but can somebody again explain to me what we mean by open formats? If Yellow Tools only runs on its own proprietary engine, but the engine is bundled with the tools, why do we care that it does not run on NI, Giga etc.?

Disappointing indeed. However, i have to say culture is a really brilliant product. I can\'t wait to try the new content in the update. I wish they\'d use another engine though, like the ni engine maybe. We\'ll see how things turn out...

But ultimately if they do another product with the quality of culture i\'ll have no problem purchasing it.

The thinking behind moves like this always baffle me. The legit users will simply avoid Yellow Tools products now, and the crackers will have this dongle bypassed before they can blink twice. Talk about cutting off your own nose...
    -Hudson

I don’t think that USB hardware keys are the way to go, and the decision of Yellow Tools to make their products dongle dependent is reason enough for me to reconsider any future buying decisions. Imagine how workable your computer would be if every developer decided to do follow the example set by Yellow Tools...
    No, although I enjoy Culture, with this decision it will most likely be the one and ONLY product purchased from YT.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 64 12341151 ... LastLast