• Register
  • Help

Topic: Quint and Tierce Tuning

Share/Bookmark

Quint and Tierce Tuning

Organ Quints and Tierces should be tuned perfect in relation to unisons and whilst tempered intervals work OK real quality of tone comes from the above mentioned perfect tuning.

My question is simple and hopefully someone can answer it. If one has created one of these intervals which is in tune with reference to that based on GS temperament, how many cents does one have to alter either of these by to make them completely perfect ?

At present I\'m doing it by guesswork which is a bit of a pain and it would be so much easier and time saving if I could just alter each note by xyz cents to achieve the correct result.

Thanks
    CB

Re: Quint and Tierce Tuning

Hello Charles

Do I understand you correctly that you need a way of calculating the difference in cents between equal tempered tuning and perfect intervals? If so, there is a fairly simple mathematical formula for this. I will need to check my reference sources before giving any further details. If my memory is correct it is about +3 cents for quints and -15 cents for tierces.

Hi Charles,
    I found the table you need and uploaded it to my website tuning table
    It\'s in Dutch but the numbers are universal (as is the tuning).

Good luck!

Michiel Post

Hello,
    just to inform:
    Most Xsample instruments have perfect tunings.

Ciao,

Hans-Josef

Thanks to all so far.

By the way Michiel, sorry I haven\'t yet sent you what I promised but things have developed much more.

The 64\' is proving interesting (make sure you have a solid building and that the pointing is sound !!!) My rather expensive Tannoy co-axials nearly had a heart attack and I shall have to re-putty the glass in the windows.......

So far, something like 25 of the 32-40 stops of the Great Organ and Pedal are finished, blend well (a big problem in many cases)and are usable in any combination. The worst bit has been the flutes such as Stopped Diapason, Rohrflote etc. which have proved to be a total nightmare.

I\'ve totally seized the system on occasion but manage to adequately achieve a good 130+ note polyphony with reverb on all channels. It pops occasionally at extremis though. The combis will get rid of that problem.

I just can\'t wait to get round to the solo reed stops, celestes and swell reed chorus and allied mixtures.

I\'d pretty much arrived at the conclusion that the quints required about +3 cents though it\'s difficult to tell with some of the OTT harmonics of close recorded pipes. The tierces however were troublesome since I get that confused with what is right with hearing Vallotti, Werkmeister and other temperaments - thus my ears can accept many tunings without the wolves yapping at my feet and drawing blood !

So thanks also to DCB for that info. (things are way, way beyond what you heard a couple of months ago.....I\'ll be in touch).

Regards
    C

PS Michiel... hope to get an Easyjet over to the Hamster Jam factory soon where we can compare notes.....
    C

http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/temper.html

Has all possible information on temperaments.

Michiel Post

Wow Michiel,
    That is one complex piece of writing and I\'m not sure whether I can get my mind around all of it but I\'ll give it a go.
    Thanks
    C

A perfect fifth is 701.95 cents and a perfect major third is 386.31 cents. On this basis, it would seem that quints should be 2 cents sharp and tierces 14 cents flat (in relation to equal tempered intervals). (I don\'t think GS lets you tune any finer than one cent, so that is the closest you could get)

Glad to hear that the organ project is progressing. Looking forward to hearing from you.

I created a septieme (1 1/7 ft) on a sampler once. I can\'t remember exactly, but I think I tuned it about 20 cents flat.

Originally posted by Silver Octopus:
    Thanks to all so far.

By the way Michiel, sorry I haven\'t yet sent you what I promised but things have developed much more.
    PS Michiel... hope to get an Easyjet over to the Hamster Jam factory soon where we can compare notes.....
    C
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Looking forward!
    MP

Go Back to forum