• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Choir in ARIA

Share/Bookmark

Choir in ARIA

This short sample is my first attempt at using MicroChoir as a plug-in to ARIA. I used the chant "dominum" for ease and accompanied it with a solo violin and cello. https://app.box.com/s/3jw068n5jk5jr89caii5 Shoot. Just realized I left a bunch of blank measures at the end - sorry about that.

Re: Choir in ARIA

Your new MicroChoir- How fun is that?! I was hoping you'd cook up something soon to show us, Tom, after the recent discussion where you decided to get the Choir.

Sounds pretty nice! I listened twice, focusing on the choir even more so I could try to pick out "Dominum" - It's there, subtle, with the word not really easy to hear because that choir is singing in quite a large space - lots of reverb. Does the Library have that much reverb on it, or did you add more?

There's a tremolo organ effect when the GPO solo strings play sustained notes like that - No way to control it, but I was struck by the effect since I haven't heard those patches in the spotlight for quite awhile.

I would say that MicroChoir is a really good deal. There's certainly detail and depth in the samples making them much more satisfactory than a lot of choir patches that use simpler samples with early loop points. I bet you're looking forward to using this a lot more. Your brief experiment should be very encouraging!

Randy

Randy, I used the large cave convolution. The violin and cello are soloists. The choir does sound nice, but there is a problem: The control board for MicroChoir does not appear in ARIA and there are only two words, one in Latin and one in Russian that can be used. Otherwise it is just oos and ahs. Of course, for only $20.00 that is still a major improvement. I would buy the full choir in a heartbeat if it were usable in ARIA, but email with Soundiron assured me that that is not going to happen. - On an unrelated note, I notice that when writing this response, I cannot use "enter" to go to a new paragraph. The result is a long, endless paragraph. Is this something new or did I manage to mess something up? I see that your message looked normal. - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Randy, I used the large cave convolution. The violin and cello are soloists. The choir does sound nice, but there is a problem: The control board for MicroChoir does not appear in ARIA and there are only two words, one in Latin and one in Russian that can be used. Otherwise it is just oos and ahs. Of course, for only $20.00 that is still a major improvement. I would buy the full choir in a heartbeat if it were usable in ARIA, but email with Soundiron assured me that that is not going to happen. - On an unrelated note, I notice that when writing this response, I cannot use "enter" to go to a new paragraph. The result is a long, endless paragraph. Is this something new or did I manage to mess something up? I see that your message looked normal. - Tom
    The controls show up for me when I use it. There must be something not configured right. If you look at my tutorial posted here on the forum, they do show up. But I had to first load it via sforzando then it shows up as a user defined sound.

Hello Tom!

It was nice to hear this choir library. I used to use choir "oohs" and "aahs" a lot in my orchestra stuff as filler, something I am sure no choir in their right mind would ever want to sing! (Oh look! 10 measures of whole notes, thrilling! ) I have since ignored choir samples entirely, so it is great to hear where they are headed. Considering this is only $20, I would say that it is looking promising for those who must have choir samples to complete their work!

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    The controls show up for me when I use it. There must be something not configured right. If you look at my tutorial posted here on the forum, they do show up. But I had to first load it via sforzando then it shows up as a user defined sound.
    I was referring to the controls as show up in the full version. I see the ARIA controls okay, but they are very limited.

Sounds great Tom! The basic controls with percent meters show up for me. I will have to do some tweaking to the sfz files to make them use 100% use of Aria. I will upload the SFZ files once I am done. Keep in mind it will require my tutorial in order to get 100% functionality (at your own risk), but it is well worth it when you setup everything properly.

For me, I only ever use choirs for layering, atmosphere, chords, etc. So, I have to say this Olympus MicroChoir is awesome!!! I just purchased it about 1 hour ago (after reading couple posts here about it) and I have to say it is going to play an important role in my new album. Well worth the 20 bucks, for what I will need it for. It even sounds better than my Vienna Soprano Choir.

Regards,

Richard

Randy, I used the large cave convolution. The violin and cello are soloists. The choir does sound nice, but there is a problem: The control board for MicroChoir does not appear in ARIA and there are only two words, one in Latin and one in Russian that can be used. Otherwise it is just oos and ahs...
    Thanks for the reply, Tom - So the huge amount of reverb on this was added, it's not part of the choir samples. That's good to know. The effect you have is effective and atmospheric, but with a less wet sound, the choir's diction would be more clear, in case that's needed in future projects.

I understood the violin and cello are soloists - I was just commenting on how those samples' heavy vibrato is so prominent when they're isolated like that.

The information page for this MicroChoir is clear that the samples included are Ah, Ooh, and just the two words, so that isn't really a problem since that's what the site explains. But it's clever the way the syllables can be isolated with CC control, as Jim "jdsnyderii" explained in the earlier post about the choir in General Discussion.

Not having the Library, I don't know how many visible controls are needed to get the most out of it. Did you follow Jim's advice quoted here?

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    ...The controls show up for me...first load it via Sforzando then it shows up as a user defined sound...
    Did you open it in the Sforzando SFZ Player from Plogue first? - And do you mean the controls show up as those small, unadorned data boxes instead of knobs? That's the way 3rd party instruments are displayed in ARIA as far I've seen so far, and they reflect the current status of the displayed CCs according to the data in a project, they aren't controls that can be directly set like we're used to in Garritan instruments.

Richard, your SFZ editing will make those controls show up as functioning knobs?

...On an unrelated note, I notice that when writing this response, I cannot use "enter" to go to a new paragraph. The result is a long, endless paragraph. Is this something new or did I manage to mess something up? I see that your message looked normal. - Tom
    All sorts of problems show up for people trying to use the Forum. Someone else recently said they couldn't do paragraph breaks anymore also.

Have you tried clicking the two formatting buttons labeled "A/A" in the upper left corner of the text menu? You can experiment by clicking "Preview Post" instead of "Submit Reply"--maybe different settings will bring your formatting back.

Randy

Hey Randy! Yeah, they will function just like a regular IO-style instrument with the releases. It won't be as functional as the kontakt version though based on the special kontakt scripting, but it will be still quite useful.

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    Hey Randy! Yeah, they will function just like a regular IO-style instrument with the releases...
    OK. I've still never been sure what you mean by "the releases"--? I think you've said before that notes don't end the way you want when you import a 3rd party SFZ. Is that right? I'm asking, because I've never been aware of the problem-if that's what you mean.

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast