• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: So, how good is VOTA?

So, how good is VOTA?

Hi. I will be getting VOTA on, or around Tuesday. I\'m just wondering how everyone thinks of it? I\'m especially interested in getting the VOTA Tool, so I can put some elaborate things together. Is that worth the extra $50? Thanks for your input. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: So, how good is VOTA?

They´re really great. Now , I have both. The Utility save a lot of work and make your words more realistic. Vota sound is inspiring , you just play some note and start to get some ideas.
    Tip: never try to make your words quite understandable.
    Good luck [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] !!!

I have been using VOTA heavily for a year. It is adequate for my purposes: realistic-sounding choral music. Unless you like the heavy reverberation per note (which makes fast passages very muddy) you must edit in Gigastudio editor to reduce the echo on each program. It could certainly be better -- the male chorus sounds much like one distinct male voice in the tenor range -- a very nice voice, but one wants a little variety after awhile.

But overall, it was definitely worth the investment. The vota utility (version 1) didn\'t suit my purposes, and I can\'t comment on version 2 since I haven\'t tried it. But with time and cut-and-paste in your sequencer, you can make any combinations of consonants and vowels you need, within the not-fully-complete offerings in VOTA.

Hi Unconscious,

VOTA is very solid. Like all libraries it has some weaknesses but not many. You will enjoy the MW for expression (depth of vibrato and intensity of the vocal performances.) Good luck.

An up to date Boy\'s choir is what is really needed now.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I called EW up today, and it seems that VotA is on backorder for a week. I\'ll have to wait a bit longer to get my hands on it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think VOTA is overhyped, because there are no real alternatives. It is very usable though, because it has (most) vowels and consonants, more than any other choir library. However, I feel that this is also the area where it is limited. The consonants are clearly not done by the same singers as the vowels, but probably added after the choir recordings.

I have the impression there has been some dubbing in the regular vowel programs, so that the sound is not created by independent voices. Maybe the consonants are entirely created that way, I\'m guessing here.

I am a lot more impressed by the recordings in Symphony of Voices. However, SOV is a lot more mellow and lacks real power sounds, vibrato, staccato\'s etc. SOV also requires more reprogramming, due to the huge attack and release settings.

There is some strange programming in Vota with lowpass filters linked to velocity (if you press softly, you get a sound as if you standing outside of a church with the choir within).

I think VOTA also needs some reprogramming if you want more control over the sound.

Then there are quite a few nasty ringing high frequencies in the lower keys, probably due to stretching, noise reduction or other processing.

Still, when used within an orchestral and/or rock setting, VOTA\'s sound merges very well, and you can create that typical trailer-like sound. I think that is the real strength of VOTA: in spite of the moderate sound quality, it can sit very well in a mix.

My advise: get both VOTA and SOV.

Example track where I used both VOTA and SOV, in some parts layered: Riding out at Dawn, a short tryout cue in MV style.

I think VOTA also needs some reprogramming if you want more control over the sound.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Rigth , but it seems that VOTA 2 is coming. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Very nice Media Verturish composition. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hmmm. I\'ll have to check out the libraries programming when it arrives. If I need to, I can edit the .art data. GSEdit is pretty easy to get around once you try it a bit. That LP Filter on low velocities seems odd to me. Might have to take that out. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Thanks.

VOTA 2 ..

maybe a mac friendly utility for us EXS freaks [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

happy new year

Originally posted by PeterRoos:
    I think VOTA is overhyped, because there are no real alternatives.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">While BelaDMedia\'s vocal libraries are not aimed to replace anyone else\'s offerings, their choral instruments promise to be an exciting new voice. (pun) I know that DIVA has more than a few pros really excited about the potential in their solo libraries, so it will be fun to see what they do with ensembles.

Go Back to forum