• Register
  • Help

Topic: Christmas music: Forest Green

Christmas music: Forest Green

Hi all, here\'s the other melody which is often used with the \"O little town of Bethlehem\" text. However, the melody itself is called \"Forest Green\" and is an traditional English melody - if my info is correct.

The music!

Anyway, this is special Christmas gift to Hasen. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Of course please let me know what you think about the arrangement, mix etc. - I hope that I\'m moving forward to more realism in my midi programming and mix.

Re: Christmas music: Forest Green

Hey Stephan ,
    look, I\'m first up. My handful of thoughts. While the verb sounds ok during the quieter moments by the end it seems to cause the tutti to sound organish. (although I know you love the organ so there might actually be one in there. You medievil kid you!) It\'s hard for me to distinguish what lines are being carried by what instruments. Its all a bit muddy... for me. Mixing sounds ok overall. compositionally it\'s one of your better ones. I would check that (bassoon? ) note around the middle it seems a hair premature and a bit clunky though. I also felt the break in the middle could be blended together a bit i.e. still hearing the timp dying away as the strings are coming up.

Overall a nice listen

need some tubular bells tho [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hey Christian,

thanks for your comments. Yea, damn verb I can\'t seem to make it sound realistic. Well, there\'s no organ in this arrangement. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Hmmm... do you think it\'s the mix or the samples itself which is causing you trouble distinguishing what instrument are playing what?

Again thanks for the comments.

Some very nice moments of orchestration (choice of instruments), and some \"clunky\" moments. While I can hear that you are getting better, the rough spots remain.

Are you willing to share (post) your midi file?

I too would like to understand how the performance/mix/arrangement can be improved. But I need more direct hands-on experience.

YBaCuO, thanks for your comments. Could you point out the \"clunky\" moments, just so I know what moments you\'re talking about.

The rough spots in the performance?

Hmmm... I\'ll sleep on the midi file share idea.

It´s Good i specialy like the End progression!!.
    take care.

It could be clearer as already pointed out. It gets a little muddy..also in the build toward the end the tempo seems a bit fast. Also, the dynamics on my end are too much. I realize that\'s a subjective issue, but it really gets too loud for me, although the build is quite effective.

You seem to have a unique style. Your tunes always have an \"openness\" (don\'t know the right word). It always reminds me of an outdoor concert. And it\'s not the reverb or ambience, just the instrumentation, arrangement and dynamics. Almost a \"trademark\" sound.

Overall, I really liked this tune!

Hi Sporter, thanks for your comments!

I think the muddy part is due to the mix, I hope at least.

Yea, I\'m still figuring out the various dynamic values - I mean find somekind of balance between P and F. I think that it\'s too wide, maybe I should make less difference between P and F than I do?

Well, I don\'t know about the style - I just compose. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Yea, I would like to know the right word for the \"openness\" term. I just hope it\'s a good thing. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Maybe it\'s the fact that I don\'t always use four-part harmony in my arrangements, there can be a duo etc. but I however always try to \"bridge\" it so it doesn\'t come too suddenly - except when it\'s appropriate of course.

Anyway, I\'m glad that most of you like the arrangement. However, where\'s Hasen? Doesn\'t he want to open his Christmas gift? [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Again, thanks for the comments!

Go Back to forum