• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Free ukulele (ukelele) for Aria! (sfz format)

Share/Bookmark

Smile Free ukulele (ukelele) for Aria! (sfz format)

Thanks to Randy for teaching me how to make my own sfz files for Aria. Here is a very nice toy ukulele sampled, along with a selection of string slap sounds for strum rhythm patterns. (Sorry for the lack of knowledge of guitarist's technical terms!)

https://app.box.com/s/bzbgghnucvi53tvhzszw

Unpack the zip file into one folder. Then left click a channel in Aria (where you load the instruments) and choose Import. Navigate to the folder where you put the unpacked zip file, and select the sfz file. Ta daaaa!

Best wishes to all my Northern Sounds/Garritan friends.

Owen
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: Free ukulele (ukelele) for Aria! (sfz format)

Excellent, glad you got this up on its own thread, Owen, so people can more easily find the nifty Uke you put together.

Don't forget about the thing Jim "jdsnyderii" discovered - If you open an SFZ instrument in Sforzando, you set the user files path on the Settings tab, and then that instrument will show up in ARIA as a menu item.

The Uke really does sound good -I wanna use it in something soon!

Randy

Thanks, Randy. I will check it out.

Update: Here is a snatch of the project I needed the Uke for in the first place, if you want to hear how it came out:

https://app.box.com/s/d2a10tns39tuc4ek0p55

(Other instruments used are: Flute Solo Vib from GPO, regular drums from the player that comes with Home Studio, cajón from Independence Free, bass guitar from Dimension Pro.)

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    ... Here is a snatch of the project I needed the Uke for in the first place...
    Fun! Really sweet little hook you have going on there, Owen, and the Uke sounds very good. Could probably be up in the mix a bit? The strum is good too - Are you doing up strums also? I couldn't be sure, since the Uke is a bit low.

But that sounds like a full tilt Ukulele to me, not just a "toy" one, as it's labeled.

Gotta get me some Uke going on in a project!

"IF YOU LIKE A UKULELE LADY
    UKULELE LADY LIKE-A YOU..."

Randy

Perhaps, you should put this in the best free instrument thread.

Allegro Data Solutions

Randy: Not sure what strums I was doing really! I just played it on the keyboard until I thought it sounded right. Here is the uke part, extracted: https://app.box.com/s/nah5xcrwsaizoip6x4sy I have not been able to locate the plugin you mentioned to help strumming - not sure that my DAW has it (I am using Home Studio version 6). I will have a proper look around later.

ejr: Good idea. I will add all the free sfz files I can remember (I can think of four that have been posted by forum members).

Don't you think it would be better to just list the "best" free instruments on that thread? It would make it more useful than, say, a Google search for every free soundfont. The idea being that a forum member has vetted them for quality. For example, with the ukulele, it seems like those who participated in the thread reached a consensus of which was best. That could save the next person who needs one some time (and putting it in the best free instruments thread means he would not have to dig out the original discussion to find the link).

Allegro Data Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by ejr View Post
    Don't you think it would be better to just list the "best" free instruments on that thread? It would make it more useful than, say, a Google search for every free soundfont. The idea being that a forum member has vetted them for quality. For example, with the ukulele, it seems like those who participated in the thread reached a consensus of which was best. That could save the next person who needs one some time (and putting it in the best free instruments thread means he would not have to dig out the original discussion to find the link).
    Sorry, I meant that I was only going to include the four that have been created by forum members and posted to this forum. I don't remember any more than those four.

...Here is the uke part, extracted....
    Nice, Owen! That isolated Uke track sounds really good, Owen. If you're willing to use your keyboard to get strums like that, you're doing fine.

Just keep in mind that a stringed instrument of the Uke category is strummed up and down by the musician, and that calls for MIDI notes which are arpeggiated with notes going low to high for the down strum, and the opposite for up strums.

If you want to do some experimenting, I've set something up for you.

Ever use any of the CAL scripts programmed for Cakewalk/Sonar? CAL is a proprietary file type that only works in Cakewalk programs.

Your post sent me on a great nostalgia trip - On my computer I have every version of Cakewalk I've ever owned, including Home Studio 6 that you use. I recorded many tracks in that program, but hadn't looked at it in ages. It's open on my screen as I type this - Aaaah, great fun to see that nifty program again.

OK - Home Studio 6 came with some CAL routines I think. Just now I had a look, and I can't be sure the ones I see from inside HS6 are in the same location as they will be for you, since I have all these versions of Cakewalk, and that changes the default locations for some things.

Push CTRL+F1. That's the short cut to wherever your CAL scripts are located. I just checked, and that short cut works in HS6, but like I'm saying, I'm not sure what CAL folder location will come up for you when you click that.

Wherever your folder is, when you use that shortcut, you should see a list of items with the CAL icon, and with the .cal file extension. If you see a CAL in there called "STRUM-IT," then you're set. But I don't see that one when I look in HS6, so I think it could be a CAL from a

later version of Cakewalk. I'm pretty sure all CALS are compatible with all versions of Cakewalk, so once you have this thing, it should probably work for you.

I've placed the STRUM-IT CAL for you at Box:

STRUM-IT

That file is tiny - just 12 KB. Download it, and place it in the folder where your other CALs are.

With a project open, record some straight chords, without attempting a strum. Just stacked notes. Highlight the clip. Click CTRL+F1 to open your CAL folder. Select STRUM-IT and follow the onscreen instructions. You have options for strumming up or down, and you set how separated you want the notes. It takes just a second for the clip to be processed. Listen to the results. And naturally you can edit the results however you want.

I've used that CAL quite a few times, processing clips to play up or down, fine tuning the results in the PRV, and have come up with perfectly acceptable strumming passages.

CAVEAT - What you have in your project sounds fine. All the above is offered if you're up for doing a little experimenting.

Thanks again for putting the Uke together - sounds great.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by ejr View Post
    Don't you think it would be better to just list the "best" free instruments on that thread?...
    Sorry, I meant that I was only going to include the four that have been created by forum members and posted to this forum. I don't remember any more than those four.
    Hmmm, I think you guys must be talking about different threads.

ejr - you're talking about this thread you started, and where I added Independence Free, one of the most amazing free synths available:

Best Free Virtual Instruments

Was there another thread with only Forum-created instruments?

Randy

Go Back to forum