• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar (Cakewalk) To Be Acquired By Gibson.

Share/Bookmark

Sonar (Cakewalk) To Be Acquired By Gibson.

I just read that Cakewalk (Sonar) is to be acquired by Gibson.

I know there are quite a few fellow Sonar users in our forums who might be interested to read the announcement.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Press/releas...e-Cakewalk-Inc

It will be very interesting to see the direction Sonar will go .. or will it?
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: Sonar (Cakewalk) To Be Acquired By Gibson.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    I just read that Cakewalk (Sonar) is to be acquired by Gibson.

I know there are quite a few fellow Sonar users in our forums who might be interested to read the announcement.

http://www.cakewalk.com/Press/releas...e-Cakewalk-Inc

It will be very interesting to see the direction Sonar will go .. or will it?
    Yeah, I'm in the Cakewalk email loop, and got a message about that this morning. Shuffling around of assets, making $ by take over - Big business leaves me pretty cold.

Considering I haven't exactly loved the direction Cakewalk has gone the last few years, I'm not counting on any upswing in improvements - they'd have to go back to Sonar 8.5 and make that available again to please me! I have and use that version, I just wish people who don't have it could have access to it.

Guess that will date my keyboard which is emblazoned with "Cakewalk by Roland." Or will Roland still be getting a part of the pie?- We'll see what happens.

Randy

I have mixed emotions on this. It looks like Cakewalk will be under the Tascam brand. Tascam doesn't have a very good track record especially after what they did to GigaStudio.

Cakewalk didn't seem to do well under Roland. They lost a bunch of good people and it seemed that Roland was cutting their staff. The Cakewalk section in the Roland booth at the last NAMM was very small and was getting smaller each year. I didn't think that bode well for Cakewalk at the time.

Jim

Hi Gang ... (C/R is not working on my wife's laptop so pardon the run-ons!) ... Yes, I received the CW news in an e-mail, and wondered exactly as Jim did. When I first tried JaBB ('05, '06??), I was essentially using GigaStudio for 90%+ of all my music projects. Soon thereafter, Giga started on it's long downward spiral from Nemesis (where it was a wonderful product)-to-Tascam (where it became a horror story ... no support, but they didn't disable the archaic anti-theft built into it ... -to- Garritan, where it essentially "Rests In Peace". (Good thing I started dallying w/ JaBB when I did!) I'm hoping that because Cakewalk has a much, much larger user base, it won't be kicked-to-the-curb as Tacam did w/ Giga ... but who can trust Tascam anymore? Sad. Fortunately, X2 (and I just heard X3 is out) are both Win 7/8/ 64 bit/multi-thread capable and should be useable for years to come. Let's face it, the basics of Cakewalk in 2013 are pretty powerful and should keep us in good stead for a while. ***Randy: I admire your NOT jumping to Sonar X-Whateveh ... I did strictly for the better response and multithreading on multi-core PC's, and this is a great thing. BUTTTTT ... loosing the many customizations I had that were available on 8.5 but not on the "X's" has been a complete drag. It's like Cakewalk decided to turn a high-tech, open-ended product into a novice's scratchpad: Horrible!! ... Regards, Frank

Yeah, I saw all this last week when Northern Sounds was down. I think the best strategy now is to use the software you are comfortable with and wait and see. The $149 upgrade price is to steep for me on X3 and I see nothing in that upgrade that benefits my music in the way that I use the DAW program. If I were doing tons of live recordings and work also with loops and synth sounds than maybe I could see a reason for the upgrade.

As for Tascam, I too am dis-enchanted with the company and how things go down hill when bought by them. I started my DAW experience with Traktion when it was a private company and then bought out by Tascam. Soon after it basically when defunct and was left in the dust of shelves (well the dust of my shelves anyway ).

I hope for the best but will sit on Sonar X2 for the foreseeable future. Heck, I still haven't figured out everything X2 can do.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Two cheers for Sonar ... It doesn't suck quite as badly as the other DAWs I tried.

Allegro Data Solutions

I have not upgraded Sonar for years. My ancient Sonar 4 does all that I require. Acquiring new technology will not make me a better (or worse) composer. If I were still a performing musician, I might find a use for new software, but for performance, nothing is as great as a good quality grand piano. Bias warning: it is hard to beat an older Baldwin grand in good condition.

Like Randy, I do not understand all this buying and selling of companies. Seems to me that it always leads to degradation of the product. What I have works, so I will stick with it till the end of time (or until I die, which, of course for me is the same thing).

Richard

[QUOTE=Frank D;730972]Hi Gang ... (C/R is not working on my wife's laptop so pardon the run-ons!)

Have you tried clicking on the A/A button at the top of the message area? I was having the same problem and that fixed it for me.

Tom

Go Back to forum