• Register
  • Help

Topic: Looking for a nice, soft harp sample...

Share/Bookmark

Looking for a nice, soft harp sample...

I am looking for a harp sample that sounds fairly close to this one:

http://www.samhulick.com/Wyndmere.mp3

Any suggestions? It should be able to be played very softly when needed. And not too much \"click\" on the plucking either. I know the main harps out there are GigaHarp, Xsample, and of course AO. Does someone know where I could hear demos of these harps?

Thanks!

Re: Looking for a nice, soft harp sample...

The harp that I almost always use is the Troubador Harp from Emu sound library vol.5 -World Instruments. It\'s very mellow sounding -which is usually what I\'m looking for when I use harp. I don\'t know of a site where you can hear a demo, so I put up a short clip from the end of a piece that I\'m working on:
    MP3 clip

Hello,
    you can hear demos of the Xsample Harp at
    http://www.xsample.de

Ciao,

Hans-Josef

I think the soft layers of the XSample harp can manage this.

Man, your harp almost sounds like an old guitar at times [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Oh man, that Xsample harp is nice! I think I\'m sold [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I like how you have the ability to stop the string from ringing (towards the end of the demo it does that). Very cool.

I have all the available Harps and unfortunately NONE of them are very good. We have a wealth of choice in pianos with excellent pianissimo layers but not so with the Harp. The X-Sample is probably the best yet it has a \'raspy\' fingered quality which only disappears on the forte samples. In other words it is too closely miked and sounds unatural in an orchestral setting. It is also a majot Voice Hog! You might consider the M.Vitous Harp which is available I think on his Orch. Percussion disk.

I am hoping that the Vienna Library Harp which comes with their String Ensembles DVD will be a major improvement and one that will be useable. If not one will eventually have to sample your own Concert Harp \'cause none of the Developers seem to give it much thought yet just about 90% of Film Scores use this instrument. It\'s really amazing thats its been so ignored.

To me the Giga Harp sounds awesome. If you want a farther away/less attack sound, try running it through a speaker and miking it from a slight distance.

Originally posted by Mel Tron:
    cause none of the Developers seem to give it much thought yet just about 90% of Film Scores use this instrument. It\'s really amazing thats its been so ignored.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The Gigaharp and Xsample may not fit your needs, but I find the Gigaharp one of the most beautiful libraries out there. For solo harp work it is spot on. I think the developer did indeed put a lot of thought into its development.

New harps may appear that give you exactly what you want, but the gigaharp gives me exactly what I want from a concert harp.

I also own the Xsample and would have thought that the softer layers would suffice for almost anything.

http://vrsound.com/GS/Mzrt_Harp_Flute_Concerto.mp3
    GM file. using vrsound orchestral harp. no tricks, no miked speakers, no reverb.

vrsound harp:
    2 recording positions: Player, orchestral (12 feet distance).
    2 dynamic layers each, release samples, hand damping.
    Glisses: 3 scales, up, down, updown (selectable by modwheel) each across one octave of keys.

Repeatedly used as solo instrument for major film scores (Mancina Disney scores, The Reckoning...).

Sampled with Aachen Head at 96/24 with IZ Radar using Vintage Neve preamps. Downsampled to 48/16 using vac tube converter.
    check vrsound.com for more orchestral demos using harp.

Go Back to forum