• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Save Tara - Choir and Soloist Practice Session 1

Share/Bookmark

Save Tara - Choir and Soloist Practice Session 1

Here is the first practice session of this arrangement to Save Tara which is being arranged/composed for my new album. For the first time, Save Tara s going to include a soloist. Here is what I have done for the soloist part so far.

Also, here is a very useful plugin for you singers out there, it is free and it does mighty good job correcting pitch. I am using it for the soloist.
    http://www.g200kg.com/en/software/kerovee.html

Libraries Used:
    - Soundiron's Voice of Gaia (Linda Strawberry Soloist)
    - Soundiron's Olympus Microchoir

Libraries that will be in the full composition:
    - Soundiron's Linda Strawberry (Soloist)
    - Soundiron's Olympus Microchoir
    - Garritan Personal Orchestra
    - Garritan Instant Orchestra
    - Vienna Special Edtion Strings
    - Vienna Special Edition Winds

Re: Save Tara - Choir and Soloist Practice Session 1

Richard,

This sounds absolutely perfect for the feelings and sound that you are trying to achieve for this album. Kind of an Enya-esk quality to it and it really works well. This is going to be a great album for you. What is the reverb and mic that you used for your soloist? Blends in with the sample choir very well.

Looking forward to your completed effort here. this really shines!

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    ...Here is the first practice session of this arrangement to Save Tara which is being arranged/composed for my new album. For the first time, Save Tara s going to include a soloist...
    Mission accomplished, Richard! I'd say this is a highly successful practice session. Sounds just great.

Two things I don't get - You're using this vocal from Soundiron - Why is pitch correction needed? The samples sound out of tune to you?

I can't believe what a very cool FREE pitch correction plugin you found!-- But you use Sonar - If you actually need pitch correction for some reason, why aren't you using the very good V-Vocal in Sonar--?

I always have questions. Look forward to your answers. Meanwhile--congrats on this!

Randy

@Cass Hansen:
    Thanks for listening Cass, and thanks for the great feedback. The soloist is Soundiron's Voice of Gaia (Linda Stawberry). The mics they used to record her were, "Two different microphone options: large body, double diaphragm w/transformer or single diaphragm, small body w/o transformer," according to their site. I am using the soloist with both mics on. The reverb I am using is perfect space that comes with Sonar, it is a convolution based reverb (@Randy I first typed this as convulsion reverb, again, haha!).

@Randy:
    Ahh questions... I like questions and I have answers :P However, firstly thanks a lot for the feedback and comments on the composition.

As for the pitch correction. The library is awesome and totally on pitch. However, the phrases can go from minor tone to major tones in the same phrase. Which is why I need to correct them to play as either minor or major only. Also, I can change key scales too effectively to a certain point (close key signatures)! This opens up more possibilities for using different phrases. They recorded over 2500 different phrases on different key scales so changing phrases with pitch software can really add some more stuff! One of the best things about this library is the soloist's true legato AH! Sounds realistic and pure! It was what sold me!

This session those phrases went from both but stay in a minor tone with the pitch correction As for v-vocal it is indeed a lovely and powerful tool, I use it for my own vocal takes (when I attempt), but the problem is it's not auto-tune. With this plugin I shared above it does it automatically and effectively. It saves the work from having to bounce the vocals into a wave file and then processing it after manually. I was shocked to see how well this free plugin works. I would recommend giving it a spin!

Once again, thanks for the feedback on this. I can't wait to get the whole works together. IO and GPO are going to play a big help in this because it is going to be fully orchestrated. Those full brass patches in GIO are SUPREME! The solo brass in GPO are excellent two. They worked well with the Vienna Strings.

EDIT: Added a bit more detail.

Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    ... the phrases can go from minor tone to major tones in the same phrase. Which is why I need to correct them to play as either minor or major only. Also, I can change key scales too effectively to a certain point (close key signatures)! This opens up more possibilities for using different phrases. They recorded over 2500 different phrases on different key scales so changing phrases with pitch software can really add some more stuff! One of the best things about this library is the soloist's true legato AH! Sounds realistic and pure! It was what sold me!...
    Ah, I think I get it. You have a collection of phrases, but one sample may shift from one note to another, maybe a 1/2 step. You're using the auto-tune filter to get that phrase all on one note. And V-Vocal wouldn't be the same, because it's not a real-time auto-tune plugin. Got it.

So do you assemble the melody line by typing in notes you want, or do you have to place individual phrases in a track, or in the plugin's interface, and then tune them to the notes you want--? - Trying to picture how the vocalist software works.

Randy

Hey Randy!

Yeah basically that is it, to keep them flowing on the same not to match mu music. THese were designed for different styles of music: blues, pop, etc. So the phrases can vary in style by quite bit. Keeping them in the same note scale and steps works best for my style of music.

It uses Kontakt, so you draw the phrases right on the piano roll. But whats cool with this, is that they programmed it to time-stretch so it will sync with the tempo of your project.

Richard,

Well this certainly shows my naiveté when it comes to sample libraries today which I am woefully behind in knowledge as is obvious by now. When I read Linda Strawberry as your soloist, I thought she was from the group "Soundiron" lol, and that you got her to perform on your new project!

Thanks for the education, and I'll definitely have to check out soundiron's website. Boy have they come along way in achieving realism.

Also thanks for the link to the auto tune, voice correction, whatever it's called (my naiveté showing again). I'll have to try it out on my own voice, and if it works there, it will work on anything!

I always love getting tips on useful plugins that work really well but don't take a science degree to use.....simple but effective.....me like!

I'm always getting educated on this forum, you're my teach today Richard....Thanks

Cass

Lol, no worries glad to help. I forgot to also add that it is Voice of Gaia (Linda Strawberry). A little bad on my end. Also be warned... You will need the full version of Kontakt 5.1 to play it. I didn't look at the requirements before purchasing. So I am running Kontakt 5.2.1 in their time-limited demo (http://www.native-instruments.com/en...t-5/downloads/) mode to use this for now. The time limited demo is restricted to 15 minutes and you can't save your work VIA inside Kontakt (I only import the instruments). So you have to reload the instruments after restarting your DAW... Kind of a pain in regards to having to relad but for the time being it works for me. I'll have to fork out $399 once I get my tax return to get the full version. However, after looking at the libraries that come with Kontakt it might be good investment anyways. They cover all areas of music it seems.

So cool, Richard. I had a look at Soundiron's site, and watched a tute on using the Linda Strawberry Library. I'm betting that once you learn the program even more, you won't be needing to use the auto-tune tool. It looks like it's as flexible as can be, and you'll figure it out more as you go.

I was a bit wide-eyed at your studio budget - This vocalist is $140, and it needs the full Kontakt which is $400. Glad you discovered that you can actually get work done with the current, free Kontakt Player which times out. You just stop, fire things up again, and keep working.

Saving up for Kontakt is something to seriously consider. People love it, hate it, and every feeling in-between, but it's an industry standard. Tons of virtual instruments are put for the full Kontakt. When a company is wanting to reach a wide audience, they partner with Native Instruments and go the Kontakt route--as compared to how so extremely little is created for ARIA. It doesn't look like that situation is going to change, either.

Randy

I am really liking this library. I'll have to practice more on note changing in my actual compositions to match the voice changes, to even further develop my music. I agree though those demos shown in the tut are amazing. I am also considering getting their soprano (Voice of Rapture).

As for Kontakt, it is indeed quite the investment. As mentioned in some of my other posts, I am not fan of it... don't hate it but not a fan. I much prefer Aria and even the Vienna Player. But it might be wise to get Kontakt for future libraries that require it.

I'm stuck in deep thought because I can also get the garritan harp and some more vienna strings for that price. I am perfectly fine with the reloading of the soloist using the demo, little of nucense, but it works (gives me a break to get up and stretch LOL). Right now I only use kontakt for the Soloist and the Microchoir. Soon, I'll have the Microchoir fully working in Aria.

However, as I see myself in the future composing... I think i'll be sticking to Garritan and Vienna products based on the main instruments I have began building upon, and unique libraries such as this soloist, but Garritan and Vienna are definitely going to be the future for my compositions. I may need to get a full choir library someday though. Soundiron has thier full olympus choir and 8dio has Requiem Choir both use Kontakt.

Lots and lots of thinking.... LOL

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast