• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Simulating Vinyl

Share/Bookmark

Simulating Vinyl

I want to turn a digital MIDI performance with samples into one that sounds like its recorded on Vinyl. Does anyone have any tips with EQ or other effects to achieve this goal? Obviously layering a recording of vinyl crackle but how do I get that (or approach) that warm analogue sound short of actually recording it on vinyl and then resampling it?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Simulating Vinyl

There was an old Steinberg plugin called the Grungelizer, which is a quick and dirty way to get that kind of effect.

There\'s a large picture and description here:

http://members.tripod.com/PluginCult/grungelizer.htm

I\'m not sure if it\'s still available though...

vinyl [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I forgot to mention I\'m on Mac. I don\'t like the grungelizer that much, it doesn\'t do a very good job of making it sound analogue and the crackle doesn\'t sound much like actual crackle either.

opcode made a vst called vinyl. I played with the demo version, and I found it fun.

I bugged them (gibson) to death about getting studio vision pro working on my floppyless mac, and they finally posted a patch on their site (I dont give myself credit, but I\'m sure they got sick of me. hey, I spent a ton on it +upgrades through out the 90\'s only to be left with nothing! I still use it as a scratch pad, probably cuz I know it so well, it has great midi editing features) perhaps they\'ll offer it (vinyl) as freeware I wouldn\'t mind having it.

Aaron Dirk
    NGS West Studios

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Oliver Vessey:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Absolutely. Best free plugin on the planet earth, and the best vinyl emulator at any price.

Hasen, you\'ve gotta ditch those doorstops and buy a computer. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Oliver Vessey:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Absolutely. Best free plugin on the planet earth, and the best vinyl emulator at any price.

Hasen, you\'ve gotta ditch those doorstops and buy a computer. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">To my knowledge most people around here seem to use Macs....the only reason they have a pc is to run Giga on a separate machine. Since I don\'t run Giga then why buy one of those ugly machines? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Besides, vinyl is nice but I don\'t think I\'d trade it in for Altiverb! Nomad seem to do a good range or vinyl stuff anyway with their Blue tubes range. Been playing around with the demo. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hasen: I don\'t think the majority of the people here use Mac for sequencing.

Originally posted by Ernstinen:
    OR ----

You could do it the old fashioned way and mix to analogue reel-to-reel tape. 1/2\" stereo machines are enjoying a resurgence because of their tape compression attributes. Some of my old 1/4\" masters STILL sound better (and louder) than DAT or CD mixes.

Ernstinen
    Really ----- I\'m not THAT old! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well that\'s certainly the best method but would take a lot longer. Plus I don\'t have any analogue equipment.

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Hasen: I don\'t think the majority of the people here use Mac for sequencing.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well there\'s so many on the forum who\'s to know really? But certainly a lot of people do indeed use Macs for sequencing. If you\'re using a pc then you must be using either Cubase or the cheaper Cakewalk am I right? On the Mac you have all the big boys like Pro Tools, Logic, Digital Performer and of course Cubase as well.

But let\'s not start a Mac versus pc debate. PCs are fast and cheap and Macs are expensive and slow. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Yeah right Hasen, Logic Audio doesn\'t exist on PC

Go Back to forum