• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Getting Disillusioned Fast

Share/Bookmark

Getting Disillusioned Fast

I was at first really glad to get the PC out of my room and only have the Mac running Pro Tools and Kontakt....the all in one Mac solution appealed to me. So out went the PC and Giga.

Boy, do I wish I had it back.

Virutally none of the Giga libraries survives the import ot Kontakt, and none of the good libraries will even load their smallest patches....\"Cool Vibes,\" Purfect Drums, Steinway B, all are useless without disk streaming , a fix for which has been promised for weeks on end as an update but is still nowhere to be found for the Mac.

Making matters worse, Chicken Systems Translator has been promising Giga to Kontakt translations for the Mac for months now, and they are as silent as a mummy. This must be the famous rock and a hard place.

I\'m going to start looking for another real fast PC, and get back to Giga, where everything just plain works (it did for me, anyway). Kontakt, and the others, just seem to have too far to go to be used seriously right now, at least on the Mac....

If I\'m wrong, please enlighten me...;_

Re: Getting Disillusioned Fast

tom,, Its true that the Giga import in kontakt can suck a bit.The DFD does work though its imperfect right now.Samples usually load in fine just the program patchs are usualy missing stuff(keyswitching.incorrect vel.levels etc. etc.)Dont hold yor breath,stick with GS for that stuff but any other sample formats really rock in Kontakt.The flexablilty and creative stuff that u can do in it are really its strengths and now there a ton of librarys coming out in kontakt so dont give up.I think programers and sample developers are just scratching the surface of what this thing can do.The update will be out this month...try to dig it..Rich PEll

Ohh yea..CDXtract 4.1.2 seems to do an O.K job of doing GiGa to Kontakt.u can download the demo and try..hope this helps..Rich

I hear you man...I\'m going back to buying hardware because the music software industry has burned me too many times.
    Have you tried cdxtract4? I\'ve been waiting for the translator version for quite a while myself and I\'m about to give up on Translator and get xtract.
    As for Native Instruments...I wouldn\'t trust purchasing anything else from them.

I hear you man...I\'m going back to buying hardware because the music software industry has burned me too many times.
    Have you tried cdxtract4? I\'ve been waiting for the translator version for quite a while myself and I\'m about to give up on Translator and get xtract.
    As for Native Instruments...I wouldn\'t trust purchasing anything else from them.

Tom, you should ask Scarbee about Halion2... he\'s been raving about it lately. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Honestly, the new version is much, much improved - and as a Mac user, I\'ve had no problems with it or v.1.13. (I\'ve never even gotten the \"missing sample\" bug that you\'ll hear about from some Mac users.)

I\'m also a satified user of CDXtract 4.1.2. Worth checking it out...

x$ (ex-bucks)

Originally posted by x$:
    Tom, you should ask Scarbee about Halion2... he\'s been raving about it lately. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Honestly, the new version is much, much improved - and as a Mac user, I\'ve had no problems with it or v.1.13. (I\'ve never even gotten the \"missing sample\" bug that you\'ll hear about from some Mac users.)

I\'m also a satified user of CDXtract 4.1.2. Worth checking it out...

x$ (ex-bucks)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">OK....I got the demo of Extract and it\'s very good. This is a great relief.

Still, without streaming, I won\'t be playing any large samples. But thanks to all for the heads up on Extract. We don\'t need no stinking Translator

Unfortunately, Halion only works with Cubase I guess...I\'m a Pro Tools user so that\'s not an option...

Maybe its a Mac + Protools thing but the DFD in Kontakt does indeed work though not perfectly obviously.I`m running SX on a fast tweeked Pc and Ive had no problems loading in and playing large samples(Scarbee 73, Mamlsjo etc..)Try playing around with yur buffer settings maybe...Hope this helps Rich

Sorry to hear that Tom ,must be frustrating.So far mothing Ive heard plays Giga samples like GS(and probably never will).But what I`m finding is theres so much other great stuff in other formats that work great with Kontakt.Just look what King and others are doing to QL brass.I think Garritan just ported his stuff to kontakt and Akai samples work great in it..so keep de music flowin man...Rich [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I`m waiting for the 1.2.1 update too....
    I`m really getting frustrated . And there`s
    no sound of the person at NI .....
    Where did he go.... I really want this update because
    thie update is the last , that supports MAS .

BTW , I`m a Mac user.

Go Back to forum