• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aria - Kontakt - Soundiron Choir

Share/Bookmark

Aria - Kontakt - Soundiron Choir

I have Aria.

I want to use Soundiron choirs. (they cost a lot)

The Soundiron choirs are fully functional in the full version of Kontakt. (It costs a lot more)

I have Cubase.

So, if I purchase Soundiron choir, purchase Kontakt, (a lot of money) how in the world do I get them to sync up in Cubase?

Re: Aria - Kontakt - Soundiron Choir

Hi Tom,

By 'sync up' I guess you just mean to actually use them in Cubase? Kontakt operates like any VST plugin - the same way aria does.

If you mean what I think you do, then depending on how the choir library works, you'll do one of two things:

Load and activate the choir library in the kontakt player
    OR
    if the library is not the type that activate in kontakt, you'll simply browse to the instruments of the choir library within the kontakt player and open the ones you want.

So, you'll load an instance of kontakt onto a track in cubase, then load whatever instruments you want into the kontakt player - much the same as aria.
    www.grahamplowman.com
    YouTube Music:
    My Channel
    Twitter:
    @GPComposer
    Facebook:
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Plowking View Post
    ...By 'sync up' I guess you just mean to actually use them in Cubase? Kontakt operates like any VST plugin - the same way aria does...
    Tom - I've been wanting to post on your thread ever since the dreaded Forum crash. For now, I'll proceed as if things are going to be OK.

Did Graham's post answer your question? I suspect he hit upon what you weren't clear about. His explanation that Kontakt works just like ARIA or any other soft synth VST is exactly what I wanted to post.

Let us know if things are clear now.

Randy

Randy and Graham,

Thank you both for your time and information. As Randy knows, I have never been able (as a result of my own ineptitude) been able to work with Cubase. I am, though, as a result of both your suggestions making another try. But I confess that I don't grasp how, once I have written the instrumental parts of a piece using Finale in ARIA and written the choral parts of the same piece using Soundiron in Kontakt, I am to load those works into Cubase by loading ARIA and Koktakt into Cubase.

Graham explained, "you'll load an instance of kontakt onto a track in Cubase." How is that done, and does that mean the piece of composed music is also loaded? From both engines?

The process seems so convoluted to me.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    ...I don't grasp how, once I have written the instrumental parts of a piece using Finale in ARIA and written the choral parts of the same piece using Soundiron in Kontakt, I am to load those works into Cubase by loading ARIA and Koktakt into Cubase.

Graham explained, "you'll load an instance of kontakt onto a track in Cubase." How is that done, and does that mean the piece of composed music is also loaded? From both engines?...
    Hopefully this reply will show up, Tom. This morning I see all my posts from yesterday have disappeared, but hopefully that's only a temporary thing while the site re-populates on the new server, as PaPaChalk explains in his post this morning.

OK, your post paints a more clear picture of how using DAW software like Cubase is indeed not clear to you, Tom. The specifics of using Cubase are of course detailed, and beyond the scope of what I could find out for you and post here. But I can see there's a general concept you're not getting. I'll try to clearly outline that:

--MIDI is what drives all of our compositions on a computer. Notation software generally makes the MIDI invisible to us, it's in the background while we deal with notes, staves, dynamics et al - The software is translating all of our notations into data that triggers the software instruments we've chosen to use.

--In DAW software, we're working directly with MIDI. It's what we see in our Piano Roll View editors, it's what we see in our tracks.

--In Cubase and all such recording programs, we're also directly dealing with the soft synths, inserting them, loading them with instruments, adjusting their available controls. That compared to notation software which can do all of the instrument loading for us, and depending on how we work, we may only rarely deal with ARIA and the other instruments directly.

--MIDI data and software synths. Those are the two basic tools we're working with, as outlined above.

--For your Finale composition to be opened in Cubase, you need to export the piece as a MIDI file. You mention two different parts - the instrumental and the choral - but those are all in the same Finale score aren't they? They should all be exported in a single MIDI file. In the export dialogue, make sure you choose MIDI Type 1. That will export the piece as separate MIDI tracks, one per instrument.

--In Cubase, you open the MIDI file. My reference is Sonar, so this may not be the same, but in Sonar, a MIDI file needs to be OPENED directly, not imported. That way, all the data, including tempi will be opened in the program.

--Once opened, there you have all the raw MIDI data. You'll have as many tracks as staves in Finale. They will be labeled according to what the staves were labeled in Cubase. But this is just all the notes and series of controls as streams of data. You can see them there in your Cubase tracks, but you can't hear them yet.

--As Graham said, you then need to start inserting instances of ARIA. That has to be a straight forward process in Cubase. Whatever the menu command is for "insert synth"---do that. An empty instance of ARIA will now be in the Cubase project file. Start loading instruments - you know how to do that I think?-- to match the instruments required in your piece.

--Follow Cubase's routine for then routing the MIDI tracks to the instance(s) of ARIA so that each track matches an instrument in ARIA. For the MIDI track to trigger the instrument, track and instrument need to be tuned to the same MIDI channel. So, track One is hooked up to slot one, MIDI channel One in ARIA.

--The audio from ARIA needs to be connected to an audio track in Cubase in order for the sound to be piped through Cubase, through your sound interface, and through your speakers.

The flow, using one track as an example:

MIDI Track One has the data for your first instrument. In Cubase there's a display showing you the information for that track. It will show you that this track is on MIDI channel one. Use the control on that track to direct its data to ARIA MIDI channel One.

ARIA has an instrument loaded in the first slot on MIDI channel One. When the signal comes from track One, ARIA will receive the data and play the instrument.

Audio outs from ARIA are connected to an audio track in Cubase so you can hear the instrument play.

CAVEAT - The specifics of where controls are, and the exact way of doing this in Cubase is in the manual which I know you've read, but which you haven't understood yet. You have to open the program, and attempt to set up what I've outlined - the instructions in the manual will start making sense. I only have a vague memory of what Cubase was like to work with - I do remember that I didn't find it as simple to understand as Sonar, but obviously they've worked out a system a lot of people like. Cubase is a very popular program.

From Finale>Export MIDI file
    In Cubase>Open MIDI file
    Insert instance(s) of ARIA
    Load appropriate instruments in ARIA
    Hook up MIDI and audio tracks to ARIA so you can work with Cubase's tools to polish the music.

The process is very logical, and not as convoluted as any written description makes it sound. You just have to understand that a soft synth like ARIA needs MIDI data to trigger its instruments. In DAW software there are tracks where you can have MIDI tracks tuned to the same MIDI channels as the instruments in ARIA - and the tracks and instruments can then interact.

I hope you try this soon-Export the MIDI, open Cubase, crack open the manual, and feel your way through the process. You'll get it!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Randy and Graham,

But I confess that I don't grasp how, once I have written the instrumental parts of a piece using Finale in ARIA and written the choral parts of the same piece using Soundiron in Kontakt, I am to load those works into Cubase by loading ARIA and Koktakt into Cubase.
    Tom,

I might be completely wrong, but how do you write in Kontakt? I believe that Kontakt is only a sample player and doesn't create midi files of its own. You use Kontakt within a DAW or Finale and write from that program.

JT

Go Back to forum