• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SAM Trumpets and WSWC? Or save for Opus 1?

Share/Bookmark

Re: SAM Trumpets and WSWC? Or save for Opus 1?

What\'s this Opus one? I have not heard anything about it yet?

Hi Sam,

I suppose that it depends on your needs today as well as how soon you would be able to afford/justify Opus1. If you need better trumpets and winds today and it will be six months or more before you can get Opus 1, I recommend going SAM and Westgate today. I don\'t own Westgate but the SAM Trumpets are on par with the SAM Horns and Bones (I own all 3). If you don\'t really need it, then you can wait until you can afford Opus 1.

HTH and Happy New Year,
    FV

Hi Seth,

Opus 1 is a smaller orchestral set made by VSL as part of their Horizon series. You can check out info at Ilio\'s website or at VSL\'s website. It\'s smaller than VSL but still quite substantial in that it is about 30 GB of samples.

FV

I own WSWC, and it\'s an excellent value. The woodwinds all have a lot of breath and dirt, which makes them realistic to my ear. Very different from say, the GPO winds, which are fairly sterile by comparison. It\'s nice to have both. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

WSWC is best for slow melodic, passionate lines. It takes CC#11 modulation very nicely. It\'s not as good for fast legato out of the box. (I plan to do some custom programming to try to improve that.)

Another thing it does well is forte articulations with fast attacks. It can be pretty agressive, so use it wisely.

If you want to do mainly fast runs and glisses, you might save for Opus 1, or the VSL wind package. I don\'t own them, but the legato tool seems to work magic for the fast stuff. If you play slower melodies, get WSWC and save a wad of cash. If you do both, get WSWC today and save for VSL tomorrow. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hey FV,
    why do you say six months. I was under the impression that people at the VSL forum were already using it? Perhaps you are referring to the saving up aspect. Sam could always rob a convenience store.

I am at the same decision making stage by the way Sam.
    I\'m leaning towards the opus/convenience store solution tho.

cb

Some friendly advice, there\'s too many security cameras in a convenience store and they usually don\'t keep much in the register anyway. Liquor stores are too cliche, robbing ATM\'s requires too much running, and insurance scams are horrible if you don\'t like paperwork.

Best route to go is by blackmailing a local politician, or starting a cult where everyone has to give up their worldy possessions to you in the name of Glorp the Supreme Being from Planet Kaltar.
    -Hudson

Originally posted by christianb:
    Sam could always rob a convenience store.
    cb
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

One thing to consider about SAM Trumpets is that all of the articulations were recorded in a hall, each with 3 separate mic placements, close, stage, and far. You can choose to use or mix any mic placement for every sample. The natural ambience is great. From what I have read, VSL was only recorded in a studio with close mics.

This is important to me because I have found that smooth brass section reverb is hard to create digitally. Tends to sound to \"fuzzy.\"
    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I think I might pick up SAM Trumpets, and just be patient and wait to get Opus 1 for the winds. Project SAM stuff is always amazing, and I don\'t think it can easily be substituted by another library.

VSL I always thought the brass was a bit weak. SAM makes up for weakness though. Besides the legato tool, VSL\'s real strength to me is the Percussion, which I own. Beyond that, I haven\'t been much interested in VSL with all the options on the table now.

Devon

SAM Trumpets is definetely the way to go. In my opinion, you won\'t find a better trumpet sound than that - it\'s really marvelous. The effects are wonderful too, but that\'s just really a bonus.

Go Back to forum