• Register
  • Help

Topic: Some music therapy: The Inner World for solo piano

Some music therapy: The Inner World for solo piano

Well, I've been fighting depression again, and finding it very difficult to function. I decided to make myself get up and play some music, since that often helps me. I sat at the piano and this is what came out. Here it is, with no edits. Make of it what you will!

And yes, it did make me feel better.

Best wishes to all
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: Some music therapy: The Inner World for solo piano

Very beautiful. Definitely my type of piano piece. I hope you feel better soon. Keep fighting.

The doctors wanted to put me on medicine back in the day for my depression but with the help of God and music I fought my enemy and won. Now, I am about the happiest soul you could ever meet. But I am more than happy, I have joy and I know you can also once you understand why you are going through depression. In my younger days, ok so I am still young, hehe, I used to compose music just like this. I literally have hours upon hours of these works or improvisations. I used to write pieces such as: "The Death of My Mother," "Song for the Hopeless, or the "The Depressed Bassoon," but oh how has life changed once I told myself to fight back and I am the one who is in charge of my life. Also you need to understand your personality. Most true composers and artists are what is called "Perfect Melancholy." Here's some basic information: The melancholic temperament is fundamentally introverted and is given to thought. Melancholic people are often perceived as very (or overly) pondering and are both considerate and very cautious. Melancholics can be highly creative in activities such as poetry, art, and invention – and are sensitive to others. Because of this sensitivity and their thoughtfulness they can become preoccupied with the tragedy and cruelty in the world and are susceptible to depression and moodiness. Often they are perfectionists. Their desire for perfection often results in a high degree of personal excellence but also causes them to be highly conscientious and difficult to relate to because others often cannot please them. They are self-reliant and independent, preferring to do things themselves to meet their standards. One negative part of being a melancholic is that they can get so involved in what they are doing they forget to think of other issues. Their caution enables them to prevent problems that the more impulsive sanguine runs into, but can also cause them to procrastinate and remain in the planning stage of a project for very long periods. Melancholics prefer to avoid much attention and prefer to remain in the background; they do, however, desire recognition for their many works of creativity.[12] They have been called "task-oriented introverts."

I know it sounds as though I am preaching, but I am just trying to let you know I've been there and do care. ~Rodney

What a wonderful post, Owen.

All music effects us in some way, and the best of it is therapeutic in a wide variety of ways. The special gift we have as composers/musicians (a gift anyone could receive if they just dared to accept the proffered package) -is that we can receive therapy from music we conjure up ourselves. We don't have to rely on only listening to music others have channeled.

You did the best thing in the world for yourself, moving through the weight of inertia and sitting down at the piano. I know there are times when it ends up not being possible on a given day to make ourselves get up to play some music, or to do most anything. But on the heavy days when we Do move through the fog and accomplish something, just that "simple" act of moving, and not being paralyzed, makes us feel better because our perspective has shifted to a more positive view.

Which is to say, I empathize, Owen. There's no getting around the common wisdom that artists are a melancholy lot. It's true. And no small part of the equation is that we can feel so different and isolated from other people.

Not meaning to lecture, I still have to say that there's another piece of common "wisdom" which isn't true - that depression has to be "fought." To do that only makes things worse. Depression has to be accepted and moved through, not rejected and wrestled with. The concept of making ourselves be a certain way simply with the power of our will is a Victorian era idea which isn't true, but is still a part of a collective and erroneous philosophy.

No force outside of ourselves "saves" us from ourselves, and it's best we reject the notion that we need "saving" from simply being human. Just as "finding closure" after a tragic event is a misleading notion, since every event in our lives leaves its indelible mark, depression and/or the tendency towards introverted sadness isn't something which is conquered and obliterated. We don't fight and win. On a day-to-day basis, we move through the fog again. We renew the understanding, as often as we need to, that greater contentment with who we are comes with acceptance of our unique personalities, depression and all. Just as a happy-go-lucky, boisterous Endomorph is never going to transform into a skinnier, introverted Ectomorph, we are who we are and it's neither possible or desirable to reject ourselves in a misguided desire to be like the crowd.

And so on.

Thanks for sharing the sound of your mood. It's uniquely yours, and not to be categorized as something anyone else has done before. No one has "been there" and "done that" in exactly the same way as you. You're an artist - Sharing who you are through your art is something you have to do because of who you are.

Difficult as it can be at times, being who you are, "warts and all" is one of the greatest true blessings you can ever have, better than wishing for the non-existent blessing from a fictitious force outside of yourself. Beware of anyone's advice who claims to have been where you are, and who knows a magical formula for you to change. You cannot and don't want to change who you fundamentally are. Your talent is inexorably entwined with the emotional construction of your unique personality.

Hello Owen!

This was such a peaceful recording - quite serene! I'm glad you thought to record what you were playing before you started, because the end result is wonderful!

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better, and I hope it continues!

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Richard: Thanks for listening. I believe that you and I are kindred spirits musically!

Rodney: Thanks so much for caring. You didn't sound like you were preaching at all. I saw a lot of myself in that personality description, and you're right, understanding yourself is very important as a first step. I've never been very aware of my body's own signals to me, so that was definitely a challenge. I'm so glad you've been able to get to that stage in your life.

Randy: Again, thanks for your invaluable help, my friend. I believe the word "fight" is perhaps a misnomer when talking about depression. I know there are certain things I can do to make myself feel better - I like your expression "moving through the weight of inertia". For me, the "fight" is making myself take the steps I know will help rather than just feeling like a victim and doing nothing at all. And you're right that there's no point fretting over what I am not, any more than I would be angry that I do not have the ability to fly. There are positive aspects of my personality that people are drawn to that I'm sure would be very different had I not experienced what I have in life.

Perhaps one day we will meet in person, if I'm ever in Salem, OR. Not as crazy as it sounds - my wife has a very good friend in Portland and another in Salem, so we may be over for a visit some time. I have already mentioned to her that if we do, it would be great to meet up.

Thanks for your kind words, and glad you enjoyed! I think I am going to make this work a track on my upcoming relaxation album, once I have tweaked a few notes where it clearly sounds like I had no idea what I was doing!

Sorry to have taken so long to get back to you on your latest post. With all the shenanigans going on here at the forum, it's easy to miss posts.

This is a wonderful outpouring, living stream of inner thought and feelings. We all have days of melancholy and days of beatific joy and everything in-between. As Randy stated, it's who we are......go with the flow and learn from it. I for one am thankful for the various moods I go in and out of because it ends up opening a whole new canvass of possibilities I hadn't thought of or felt before. You couldn't write something this beautiful if you were sanguine and exuberant with bondless energy all the time.

I've enjoyed your other works immensely, the film score you just finished. It's nice to see another side of you that you do with perfection and is uniquely yours. Again, very beautiful and moving piece!!

Cass! You always have the kindest comments. Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks again for your encouragement.

Go Back to forum