• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Short DDBE mockup test

Share/Bookmark

Short DDBE mockup test

Listening to the new (superb) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets score, I wanted to find out if DDBE could achieve the same kind of full trombone sound, so I did a very short mockup up a passage that would serve well. I didn\'t do the harp, flute figures, glock and all that, and some of the chords are balanced wrong in the trumpets, and the dynamics should be greater etc., but I think the trombones fare pretty well - they\'re obviously mic\'ed closer in DDBE and DDBE lacks that higher mid-tone spark in the bones it seems. The trumpets hold up pretty well too, except we need some good vibrato trumpets - DDBE are non-vib only unfortunately.

Anyway the link is here - the first you will hear is the original recording, followed by the mockup.

http://www.simonravn.com/media/HP2-DDBE.mp3

Re: Short DDBE mockup test

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    Listening to the new (superb) Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets score
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It´s out already!? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I´ll order it right away...
    The mockup sounds great, though! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Holy Crap, that sounds great Simon.

I\'m afraid I\'m going to have to ask you the most predictable and oft repeated question on this forum: What libraries did you use in addition to the DDBE?

Nice job... that\'s among the most convincing snippets I\'ve heard from a giga setup.

Okay, I\'m an idiot.

I just realized that the first part of that quicktime example is a REAL orchestra. No wonder I was blown away.

I\'ve been trying to play the snippet again so that I can listen to your mockup, but unfortunately I keep getting Quicktime machine gun errors.

Despite my inability to pay attention to the details, you still kick butt, Simon.

Thanks Kobb)) Yeah if I had mocked up the first snippet it wouldnt be bad would it

Hi Simon,

Great work as allways. Try mixing in DDSB bones but very low, just to get that buzz.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Alex

Nice Simon, pretty damn close [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Very nice Simon!

Can I ask if you have acces to the actual printed score or it is done \"by ear\"..?? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Very nice Simon!

Can I ask if you have acces to the actual printed score or it is done \"by ear\"..?? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Lex, I don\'t have DDSB so that will be difficult

Unison: no I don\'t have the score, this was done by ear.

Go Back to forum