• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Computer Woes...Need Help!

Computer Woes...Need Help!

My new system has been working fine for a couple of weeks. I\'ve got all of my software installed and everything where I want it but now I have a major problem. I\'m hoping someone can help me figure out what it is and offer some advice on what to do next.

P4 2.8ghz (800mhz FSB)
    2gb RAM (4x512)
    Abit IS7-E Motherboard
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 128mb VRAM
    Windows 2000

After Booting and loading the OS I let it sit for 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes and then I get a Blue Screen indicating a physical memory dump and then it re-boots itself. That\'s it. Keep in mind that I\'ve been using the system problem-free for a couple weeks and after booting I don\'t do anything. I just let it sit there. I don\'t even move the mouse or hit any keys on the keyboard and after a couple of minutes I get the BSD.

What is happening in Windows in this period that would cause it to fail? Maybe it has nothing to do with the OS? Is it a bad hardware component? How can I know? I think I have ruled out the memory as a problem. I\'ve booted with each stick individually, all with the same result.

I think it might be the Processor. Has anyone ever heard of a bad processor and what the symptoms might be?

It just seems odd that the problem happens the exact same way everytime, very predictably. I would expect hadware to be more sparatic.

I\'m hoping someone can offer some help. Thanks.

Re: Computer Woes...Need Help!

Press function key F7 on startup and start it in debug mode so that you see the drivers as they load. Sounds like a bad driver.

-- Martin

Well probably the first thing I\'d recommend is doing the following:
    Click start --> Settings --> control panel.

Go to system and double click.

Click the \"advanced\" tab, then click \"startup and recovery\".

Until Automatically restart the computer.

This\'ll mean that the next time you get the blue screen it will tell you exactly what the error is.

Post that back here, or on any technical forum if you need further help diagnosing it.

Is it F7 or F8? I set the system so that it won\'t reboot on an error. I\'ve been able to boot successfully a couple times now.

The error first occurred earlier today. I had Gigastudio opened and had opened Sonar from there. I opened the Windows Explorer to move a directory and then got a BSD. After 3 reboots, the system would hang after a couple minutes. I turned the system off by the power switch and it continued to fail several times. I followed this procedure a couple more times after which it ran for about an hour. In that time I was able to run a complete virus scan, which came back clean. After that I tried to load Gigastudio which gave me another BSD after a couple minutes of just sitting there with the program open and not actually doing anything. At this point I assumed Gigastudio was the culprit. But then I got into the cycle of booting Windows and just sitting without loading any programs and would repeatedly get the BSD. I\'m not sure how this can be a driver problem if none of my drivers have changed and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn\'t. After being off for an hour or so, it seems o be working again. I\'ll post the BSD error if it fails again. Other than that does this sound familiar to anyone?

Without the actual error it is hard to say, but from my past experiences I can think of a couple of things.

Firstly though, what was the directory you moved? It may be important, although I doubt it.

Second do you have any way of seeing what your CPU temp is? If not you may just want to open up the box and make sure the fan is working, and read your motherboard manual to find out how you can tell what the temp is if you don\'t already know.

ive had a similar problem and i went into msconfig. and clicked the startup tab in the system configure utility. i then unchecked all of the startup items except for the system tray.
    after reboot you can go in and recheck items one at a time to find the problem driver or application. this may not be your answer but it may be worth a try.

Happy New Year!!!

If you haven\'t gone into msconfig before, you may want to check out these articles:

(there are some links to Tascam at the beginning of this one... they didn\'t work for me... bummer)

(this looks like a fun site from the looks of it. I just found it and am going to see if there is anything I missed in my optimize)

I hope this helps.

Is is bad ram? You can rule this out by taking a stick of ram out at a time and then see if your system is stable.

Uninstall Giga, and then shut down your computer and disconnect and remove all hardware devices from your computer... USB and Firewire devices, PCI cards, audio hardware, midi hardware, etc., and then add each device back to your computer one at a time, shutting down and restarting your computer each time as you re-add each device back to your computer one at a time and install the most current driver for each of those devices as you are prompted that your computer has found new hardware each time your restart your computer after adding that device back to the computer. When adding PCI cards back to your computer, put them in a different PCI slot than where you previously had them. After you have successfully added all of these devices back to your computer without problems, reinstall Giga. Hopefully this should solve your problem.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio

One other thing... after you have removed and disconnected all hardware devices from your computer, restart your computer a few times in order to make sure that your blue screen problem has disappeared before adding your hardware devices back to your computer one at a time.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio

Go Back to forum