• Register
  • Help

Topic: I like Halloween-but these site hacks are too spooky

Unhappy I like Halloween-but these site hacks are too spooky

I have to admit that I'm feeling nervous, with the Forum open in my browser. I've had the scary thought that the hacker could temporarily let the site go back up, just so he can attack visitors. Paranoid? Probably, but I've never dealt with a site that's been hacked up like this, so with no experience, maybe it's seeming scarier than it reall is.

Before signing back in just now, I used as many tools as I could find for scanning sites to see if they're safe. For the most part, the reports were that NS is safe - but too many of the results seemed to be saying it's always been safe. How can that be? Doesn't make me put a lot of faith in what those "scan a site" sites were coming up with.

Then there's the Google diagnostic page for www.northernsounds.com/. The first thing it says is:

"This site is not currently listed as suspicious."

OK, that's encouraging. But then it goes on:

"Part of this site was listed for suspicious activity 5 time(s) over the past 90 days.

Of the 1011 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 465 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent.

Malicious software includes 20 trojan(s).

Malicious software is hosted on 5 domain(s)
    including homelinux, serviceinfos, karamshoes

2 domain(s) appear to be functioning as intermediaries for distributing malware to visitors of this site, including serviceinfos and karamshoes"

I don't get it. How can all those things be in the Google report, and yet its conclusion is that the site isn't suspicious?

One more report is from URLVoid. After using the "check website reputation" tool, it says:

"Safety report: The website is detected by 1 blacklist engine, report updated 2 days ago

Domain information:

Blacklist Status - Blacklisted"

OH. Swell.

OK, you guys who are savvy about the workings of the internet. Do you think we need to worry about visiting NS?

Re: I like Halloween-but these site hacks are too spooky

Yup. Very scary recently. And even as of yesterday, WOT said the site was hacked and warned about going there. I'm no expert, but I do have Adwcleaner and MalwareBytes Anti-Rootkit utility updated and handy for frequent running--in addition to my usual MS Security Essentials.

Arthur J. Michaels

Finale 2000 through 2014.5 (currently using 2014.5)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.2
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Go Back to forum