• Register
  • Help

Topic: Clanking metal sound

Share/Bookmark

Clanking metal sound

Can anyone suggest a non-pitched clanking metal sound--from a Garritan library or something easily reproduced? I'm thinking of a metal sound something like a hammer pounding a horseshoe on an anvil, or the sound of Wile E. Coyote getting bopped--something practical that an orchestra or concert band can reproduce without too much effort.

The only thing I can think of at the moment is experimenting with various cooking pots and striking sticks and hammers. I know I can download any number of anvil/blacksmith sounds. But can anyone suggest a reasonably easy way to reproduce such a sound? Has anyone used such a sound?

Thanks.

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Re: Clanking metal sound

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    Can anyone suggest a non-pitched clanking metal sound...something practical that an orchestra or concert band can reproduce without too much effort.

...I know I can download any number of anvil/blacksmith sounds. But can anyone suggest a reasonably easy way to reproduce such a sound? Has anyone used such a sound?...
    Howdy, Art. Like you said, the sound itself is easy to find online. I used an actual hammer on anvil sound from the great Freesound site for my "Skyscraper" project. I triggered it in ARIA.

That piece was written for Concert Band, and I included the anvil when I noticed in quite a few CB scores I was studying, that an "anvil" is somewhat common in the percussion section - Only they don't use an actual anvil. The substitute is listed in scores as "Brake Drum."

I was surprised when I looked up info on that - It's literally the brake drum from a car, mounted on a stand, hit with a hammer, and it sounds much like the old hammer/anvil combination, only it's practical to use since it's not nearly as heavy.

Randy

Hi Randy. I see that one of JABB's percussion maps has a brake drum sound and garbage can lids. I never thought I'd be auditioning brake drums at the local automotive repair shop, but it appears that's what'll happen!

Thanks, Randy.

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels

Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Hi Randy. I see that one of JABB's percussion maps has a brake drum sound and garbage can lids. I never thought I'd be auditioning brake drums at the local automotive repair shop, but it appears that's what'll happen!

Thanks, Randy.

Art
    Good going, Art, finding the brake drum in JABB - I had no idea it was there!

So you're needing to put together the physical instrument itself - You're conducting a band?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    So you're needing to put together the physical instrument itself - You're conducting a band?

Randy
    Nah. Not conducting. I'm in the beginning stages of sketching out a concert band piece, and I will likely want to include this sound.

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels

Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

I used an actual hammer on anvil sound from the great Freesound site for my "Skyscraper" project. I triggered it in ARIA.
    Randy: How would I incorporate a WAV or mp3 sound into the Aria player?

(Did I just open a can of worms?)

Thanks.

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels

Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Randy: How would I incorporate a WAV or mp3 sound into the Aria player?

(Did I just open a can of worms?)

Thanks.

Art
    Hmmm, maybe I just got into that confusing area again where I'm talking about the version of ARIA I currently have (Beta) as compared to what's publicly available. Changes happen so often, I get confused - And in the past, I've made the mistake of referring to functions in the Beta which aren't yet in the released version.

I have ARIA Player v.1.626, ARIA Engine v.1.647. Using "Import," a .wav file can be brought in and played in ARIA, with the engine creating an SFZ file on the fly.--- I simply can't remember when that was added and if it's in the publicly available version yet - I've had that function for so long now.

BUT, Art, when you were talking about going to a car shop to audition brake drums - that sounded like you were trying to set up a band with the instrument. Since you've located a brake drum in JABB - all you need to do is load that and hammer away!

Randy

Hi Randy. I'm on the run at the moment, but I'll look in to updating my Aria player/engine, if necessary, and check the import feature. I would have just used the JABB sound, but I don't own JABB--I just looked at its offerings online.

Randy, where did you get Aria Engine v.1.647? I can find only v.1.626 as the latest for Windows.

Thanks!

Art
    Arthur J. Michaels

Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Go Back to forum