• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Romanze in C, Op. 42, Sibelius

Share/Bookmark

Romanze in C, Op. 42, Sibelius

Not the program but the composer Sibelius wrote this little Romance for String Orchestra.
    Prooving that I am not dead in the sense of being "musically busy" here is my rendering of this little piece.

Romance in C, Op. 42, Sibelius

I've done this with the orchestral strings that came with Vienna Special edition strings vol 1 and vol 1 plus.
    I used Vienna Instruments Pro populated into Vienna Ensemble player (not the Pro version - I have no more money, right now). Used the inline reverbs, panning and tons of keyswitches and CC settings. Recorded directly from within Overture notation, so no SONAR or Presonus DAW. Not even the slightest audio editing afterwards, except for making the MP3 format.

For comparison, on Youtube are some other recordings, but IMHO not as good as mine, due to the conversion to Youtube (and some of the recordings have too much "rubato-like" phrases, which I didn't like).

Enjoy the rather dark and sad Romance,

Raymond
    [PS. The score is hard to find, but here it is ]

Re: Romanze in C, Op. 42, Sibelius

Nice, Raymond - I was surprised to see you here with more music. I didn't notice you replying to other people's music threads, so assumed you were still off doing that long list of things you posted awhile back as reasons you were leaving the Forum.

Sounds very nice.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Nice, Raymond - I was surprised to see you here with more music. I didn't notice you replying to other people's music threads, so assumed you were still off doing that long list of things you posted awhile back as reasons you were leaving the Forum.

Sounds very nice.

Randy
    I am still very busy with the study, recording/rendering and musical theory. Some new works also, ViolinConcerto, String Quartet and a (shorter) new Symphony. For one experiment I was obliged to re-install the (on my system) corrupted Garritan Library - you know the woodwinds are still the best - together with the newest version of ARIA. So, little time to listen to and comment on the works presented here in the LR. The study also involves reading and analyzing scores. So at a daily base you can find me with the headphones on, reading music...... even my wife knocks on the door to waken me up.

Greetings,

Raymond

Hey Raymond! This is a good rendition of the piece. You have used those special edition strings before and to me, they have a pretty good sound to them. I would not mind experimenting with them if I had the funds to purchase them. Thanks for posting this. Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01 View Post
    Hey Raymond! This is a good rendition of the piece. You have used those special edition strings before and to me, they have a pretty good sound to them. I would not mind experimenting with them if I had the funds to purchase them. Thanks for posting this. Jay
    A. They are part of the Special Edition Strings Vol 1 /Vol 1 Plus and called String Ensemble. Both libs weren't too expensive (about € 230,- including the iLok key). I also bought Vienna Instruments Pro for the price of € 145,- or so.

B. After having read the documentation I'd made myself the necessary xml files for Overture

C. This is really the first try with those strings, ok it is called Take-Four, but that is a result of some discussion with a guy from Belgium (Max Hamburg) who also has these libs, plus several other things from VSL. He has a good ear and is rather experienced in the sounds of a string orchestre.

So I am not an expert now, even this morning I had an email sent to him about some sliders in the Vienna Instruments panel. As time goes by.... one will be some kind of an expert, but remember that these samples are just a subset of the bigger brother Orchestral Strings (or whatever the name is). That is even true with the Solo instruments, the reason why I bought it in the first place, they are a poor subset of the bigger and more costly solo strings library. How these sound can be found in the LR - my farewell gift String Quartet nr 2. - somewhere down the lines.

Jay, see you around - I am not completely lost and will visit this forum once in a while.....

RR

This is such a great morning for me on this forum. I feel that the phoenix bird Northern Sounds has risen and taking flight. I'm so glad to see you back and posting again Raymond, even if it is sporadic as you conceive and finish your new works at hand....can't wait. I'm always impressed by someone being able to write a quartet, symphony, and concerto all simultaneously. You are a true musician of the highest regard.

That sound of the special edition is really beautiful. It's so easy to hear all the lines and counterpoint but still retaining that full, rich, in-depth sound. And you'll only get better at it as you go.l
    Thanks also for presenting the music of Sibelius. I was not familiar with this piece, and it's really gorgeous.

I'm so glad your studies are being fruitful and inspirational as well as having a beautiful string library to project your creations. I always find that inspires you even more.

Best wishes,

Cass

Hello Raymond! I really enjoyed this rendering. I love Finlandia, but until now, it was the only Sibelius piece I actually knew. (at least by name) I should most definitely look into his other music, because this is fantastic!

Glad to see you posting again (and thanks for posting on my thread last month - wow, a month already?!)
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by Cass Hansen View Post
    That sound of the special edition is really beautiful. It's so easy to hear all the lines and counterpoint but still retaining that full, rich, in-depth sound. And you'll only get better at it as you go.

Cass
    I agree with Cass's comments about being able to hear the counterpoint and still have a well blended sound. I think it is a shame if conductors or audio technicians balance the music in such a way that the beauty of well written inside arts are obscured. This piece is really nice in that sense. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Are there any files available that compare the V strings to the GPO strings playing the same piece and both have been carefully rendered to show off each at it's best?

Norman

Sibelius is a first class composer, almost underrated on our side the Polar Circle.
    And Raymond is a fine orchestrator, conductor and .xml encoder! Bravo Maestro!
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by jandjnelson View Post
    I agree with Cass's comments about being able to hear the counterpoint and still have a well blended sound. I think it is a shame if conductors or audio technicians balance the music in such a way that the beauty of well written inside arts are obscured. This piece is really nice in that sense. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Are there any files available that compare the V strings to the GPO strings playing the same piece and both have been carefully rendered to show off each at it's best?

Norman
    Thank you for your kind words. No, at the moment there aren't GPO strings for the same piece. I corrupted my Garritan Library in one way or another and only re-installed the woodwinds for my new symphony (they are better than the EWQL ones), i.e. the GPO flutes and oboes are superior. Besides that, I really don't have the time to do it, because I am too busy composing and other necessities in music. A challenge, I provided the score... so.......

Raymond

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast