• Register
  • Help

Topic: Not Quite Finished

Share/Bookmark

Not Quite Finished

This is the prelude and first carol of a large Christmas work I have composed. The last carol was on the 2012 Christmas album and the second carol has been submitted for possible inclusion this year. My eventual goal is to make the orchestra performance good enough that it can be used to accompany a choir in rehearsals and, hopefully, also performances. In the future I will post a thread about preparing and using recorded accompaniments. I'm posting this now to help everyone keep this year's Christmas Album in mind. Let's get it finished on time with the best tracks ever!
    All patches are GPO4 or IO.

https://app.box.com/s/6kcfsxajt7xfq3gdj969

Norman

Re: Not Quite Finished

Hey Norman,

First off, I read your other posting in the general discussion and I'm so glad you decided to come back and post. I too have found the forum to run much smoother and quicker now since it's up and running again. Even the problem I had with carriage returns (starting new paragraphs) has fixed itself. I'm a pretty happy camper now.

As for your music, it is superb. You have really captured that Christmas feeling but without being derivative. I especially love the prelude. It's obvious you have put a lot of time in rendering this. The articulations are quite nice. When the oboe comes in, it just kind of melts into the tonal tapestry and sent shivers down my spine.

I think you are just about there, or are there concerning your desire to use this in rehearsals for the choir. If you play this in a church or large hall where I presume your rehearsals will be held, the natural reverberation of the room will make this rendering shine. Because of this, I think you are wise not to add too much reverb in the recording itself, otherwise the extra reflections/ambience of the hall would be too much.

You have now gotten me officially excited about the up and coming Christmas season and of course the album.
    Again, welcome back!!!

Cass

Thanks Cass. This piece was commissioned by a lady that conducted an excellent church choir. She wanted something that would seem new but not seriously alter the tunes or the meaning of the text. What you said in the first paragraph below is exactly what I was hoping she, her choir, and the audience would get from the music.

When I mentioned putting a post in the General Discussion area about preparing pre recorded accompaniments, judging the proper ambiance was going to be one of my questions. Your comments are most helpful. Thanks for listening.

Norman

Quote Originally Posted by Cass Hansen View Post
    Hey Norman,

As for your music, it is superb. You have really captured that Christmas feeling but without being derivative. I especially love the prelude. It's obvious you have put a lot of time in rendering this. The articulations are quite nice. When the oboe comes in, it just kind of melts into the tonal tapestry and sent shivers down my spine.

I think you are just about there, or are there concerning your desire to use this in rehearsals for the choir. If you play this in a church or large hall where I presume your rehearsals will be held, the natural reverberation of the room will make this rendering shine. Because of this, I think you are wise not to add too much reverb in the recording itself, otherwise the extra reflections/ambience of the hall would be too much.

Cass

Hello Norman!

This is a superb arrangement, from start to finish (or unfinish, rather )! I found myself tapping my foot along to the buildup around 2:00. You really have a nice mix of themes and original orchestration in this. The prelude really sets up the mood nicely. I probably would not have known it was Christmas related if you didn't tell me, but since you did, I felt it was a perfect fit and its reverent Christmas feel was a perfect way to introduce the rest of the music!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Norman - This is outstanding. It's such a great project, and your arrangement is sounding fantastic.

+1 to Cass's post about reverb, and how you wouldn't want a wet, reverberant track used in that live situation.

I think you could try reducing the mid frequencies, using an EQ with a very wide Q setting, taking the entire middle section down a bit, because there's a pile up of frequencies that are starting to sound boomy to me. You may want to try that experiment.

Wonderful stuff.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Norman - I think you could try reducing the mid frequencies, using an EQ with a very wide Q setting, taking the entire middle section down a bit, because there's a pile up of frequencies that are starting to sound boomy to me. You may want to try that experiment.
    Randy
    Randy, thanks for the advice. I have only used the Logic Pro EQ presets before this experiment, consequently, I had to do some valuable reading about the subject. I have tried frequency spreads of 2 to 4 octaves, have positioned the center from 250 to 500 Hz, and reduced the center by -3 to -7 DB. I expected that the highs (triangle) and lows (bass drum) would become more noticeable and they did. But also, some of the inner parts (Cl 2 Hn 2 & 3, etc.) are also a little more transparent. My problem now is to decide which version I like the best. Also, after bouncing and normalizing some of these, the overall sound level seems louder. I assume this is because the loudest sections of the original have all of the mid-range instruments playing and now they are softer which allows the normalizing process to bring everything up. At -3 DB I have to do A/B comparisons to hear the differences. At -7 DB I can hear some differences easily.

Norman

Go Back to forum