• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ensembles feature in GPO4

Share/Bookmark

Ensembles feature in GPO4

From the Manual...

Loading an Ensemble can give you a quick “head start” to setting up a group of instruments. Each file loads a selection of instruments (e.g. String Quartet) along with pan, level, and other settings

Hi All - Having not used GPO4 for some months I just tried to set up a string quartet from the Ensembles feature in ARIA. (I am using REAPER).

The first 4 slots in ARIA were automatically loaded up with the required instruments (Violin1/Violin2/Viola/Cello) as I expected.

But I thought that the required tracks & routing was also automatically loaded up in REAPER.
    Am I misremembering after my time away or is it just wishful thinking?

Any help greatly appreciated, as always. Thanks Guys.

Re: Ensembles feature in GPO4

Quote Originally Posted by JackOats View Post
    From the Manual...

Hi All - Having not used GPO4 for some months I just tried to set up a string quartet from the Ensembles feature in ARIA. (I am using REAPER).

The first 4 slots in ARIA were automatically loaded up with the required instruments (Violin1/Violin2/Viola/Cello) as I expected.

But I thought that the required tracks & routing was also automatically loaded up in REAPER.
    Am I misremembering after my time away or is it just wishful thinking?

Any help greatly appreciated, as always. Thanks Guys.
    Hello Jack,

It's good to see you back in the forums.

It sounds as if that detailed list did the trick and you managed to reinstate GPO yourself. That's fantastic.

Anyway, back to your question. If I understand you correctly, everything worked in ARIA and you had the four channels set up there but this did not load the four assigned tracks in Reaper.

Your quote from the GPO Manual is referring specifically to ARIA ie the "selection of instruments (e.g. String Quartet) along with pan, level, and other settings" are loaded within ARIA. I checked this in Sonar and this is exactly what it did.

Then, after loading an ensemble in ARIA, I would have to prepare the four tracks in Sonar and assign each track to one of the channels in ARIA in the usual way. This wouldn't happen automatically.

I can't see that Reaper would be any different. Perhaps a fellow forum user of Reaper would confirm.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    ...Then, after loading an ensemble in ARIA, I would have to prepare the four tracks in Sonar and assign each track to one of the channels in ARIA in the usual way...
    Jack, I'm a Sonar user, the same as Michael, so don't really know how Reaper handles things. But I think what Michael has described in his reply is typical for DAW software.

When inserting a soft synth, Sonar will automatically load all the necessary audio tracks (up to 16) for ARIA, if that option is chosen when inserting the synth. But it will only include one MIDI track, the first one. The rest of the MIDI tracks need to be added by hand, and tuned to the appropriate channels as per the way you want your instruments in ARIA set up. That's actually helpful, because you don't necessarily want all 16 slots to just be simply channels 1 through 16. You may have multiple instruments on the same channel, for instant fattening of sound - So it's helpful to set up the MIDI tracks in the particular way you need them.

Having all 16 audio tracks in a project is recommended over the default of having simply one stereo pair handling all the sound from ARIA.

So - Along with Michael, I think Reaper is behaving as it should. And it doesn't take long to insert the MIDI tracks you need, hooked up to ARIA as per your particular lay out.

Randy

Hi Michael & Randy - Thanks very much for your helpful replies.

Then, after loading an ensemble in ARIA, I would have to prepare the four tracks in Sonar and assign each track to one of the channels in ARIA in the usual way. This wouldn't happen automatically. (Michael)
    So I guess I was misremembering.

The rest of the MIDI tracks need to be added by hand, and tuned to the appropriate channels as per the way you want your instruments in ARIA set up. (Randy)
    Having all 16 audio tracks in a project is recommended over the default of having simply one stereo pair handling all the sound from ARIA. (Randy)
    The whole area of 'Sends' & 'Routing' & 'Assigning tracks' is still pretty much a mystery to me, so I need to get stuck into the REAPER manual & read up about it!

Thanks for all your help Chaps.

Go Back to forum