• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Click and Pops on a 250gb drive

Share/Bookmark

Click and Pops on a 250gb drive

Is anyone else using a Western Digital 250gb drive with 7200rpm, blah, blah...for there sounds in Giga? I\'m getting alot of popping. I\'m also using an Audiophile 24/96 and I\'ve heard that the previous driver version was actually better (fewer pops and clicks), but I\'m also using a 120gb drive without any problems. Is this a problem that is just to be expected with a large drive?

Re: Click and Pops on a 250gb drive

I think I remember reading on nemesys\' website that larger hard drives could cause some problems similar to those you have mentioned...

However, I also had a popping problem once, but it was because of the chipset I was using. So you might not want to rule out the possibility that the motherboard bus architecture isn\'t the problem (In other words, use only INTEL , don\'t use VIA chipsets--VIA\'s are notorious for causing all sorts of pops).

Interesting. I am using Intel. It seems that it would take longer for the drive to access the data but the avg. seek time is the same as my 120gb (8.9ms). What else would be different about a larger drive?

p.s. Has anyone updated to the latest drivers from M-Audio posted on 12/26? It\'s missing the delteasi.dll file. Are we supposed to use the old one??

I use a 200GB/8MB Cache WD drive for my GS. No problems with pops or clicks here (in GS that is - when I try to load up a couple of instances of Atmosphere and Absynth together - I have pops and clicks galore). Also, I\'m not using a delta card, my sound card is an Echo Mia.

I had the same problem. Yes, the older M-Audio drivers work much better: install 5.10.00.27

Also, I had to turn off hyperthreading in bios (and check to see that the Delta card is not sharing IRQs with another component of your computer).

-Dave

I am now using the old driver you mentioned, but I still hear pops. Where would I find shared Interrupts?

Just curious, those here having pop noises, what their drive status is, master/master, slave, etc.

The best performance I\'ve always found was to get a PCI controller card, place the giga (or sample) HD on one of the masters, make the drive master and pops leave.

This goes without saying that your software/system drive should be solo, (master) and no loops or samples should placed on it.

I also have another HD on the 2nd master slow (PCI) for audio, thus all three (software, samples, audio) have their own access and don\'t share.

Also, make sure your sound card device (pci in this case) is on a slot that is not sharing IRQ (PC) with graphics card (as the redraw of waveforms will cause pops and clicks), or sharing with PCI controller card (should you go this route), as well as the mouse. Most manuals for mother boards will explain which are sharing.

You could for example, place it on a slot that shares resources with LAN card as you won\'t be ONLINE/NETWORK when doing work(post, etc), unless your accessing samples on a network, then the same rule applies, no sharing allowed.

The above issues are quite common before being blamed on drivers.

With respect to larger HD\'s, it\'s true, the larger HD\'s tend to get slow as they fill up (just the samples placed last). Several soulutions exist to rectify this problem.

One, get a program such as O&O profession defrag which will defrag your files based on access, i.e., which files you use the most, however, before doing this, if I had a 180HD, (or 220 in your case), I would have paritioned it to 20/100/100 and use the 20 for audio, the remainder for samples, and thus, the defrag would be less time consuming should you need to do so. A better solution really is a controller card though, with all HD\'s 7200, 8 meg cache, not one of my four HD\'s are less than that. The next step (for myself) will probably be SATA 10,000 rpm drives once they get a bit larger and lower in price.

Just a few ideas, hope it didn\'t get too technical.

Cheers,
    f. elliott

Originally posted by timzydee:
    I am now using the old driver you mentioned, but I still hear pops. Where would I find shared Interrupts?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Look in the motherboard manual. Did you always have pops? When did they start? Did you do a Hardware upgrade?

Worse case: you have no idea what any of this means, just switch the audio card to another slot, except the 1st, which many share at times with AGP(graphics card) unless of course, you have a PCI graphics card.

Speaking of which, many times in bios when I\'m helping someone out, I find they have a AGP graphics card, yet in their \"bios\" it\'s set up for PCI first, (which needn\'t be the case) and is using up a resource.

-f.elliott

I\'ve tried the trick of putting an audio drive on the secondary master as well, but it doesn\'t seem to help in this case. I also don\'t want to go out and get a PCI card unless I know it;s going to fix the problem. I\'ll try the defrag, but I really think it\'s because of the size. My 120gb gives me absolutely no problems. I\'m hoping someone will just fess up and say they are using a 250gb with or without problems.

Originally posted by timzydee:
    I\'ve tried the trick of putting an audio drive on the secondary master as well, but it doesn\'t seem to help in this case. I also don\'t want to go out and get a PCI card unless I know it;s going to fix the problem. I\'ll try the defrag, but I really think it\'s because of the size. My 120gb gives me absolutely no problems. I\'m hoping someone will just fess up and say they are using a 250gb with or without problems.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, this could be as I have read no larger than 120 (or perhaps 80GB) should be used for audio. This of course, doesn\'t include newer serail 10,000 rpm HD\'s...

Also, just fyi, most places allow you to return a PCI controller card if it doesn\'t solve the problem, however, there is a difference (better) between performance of a PCI controller card vs a on-board motherboard controller (in some cases)...
    so it may be worth checking out...

Defragging could also play a part, especially if you record audio on it. Do you? Or it is mostly samples?

Can\'t recall but are you PC or mac? If pc, make sure it\'s NTFS which you can do quite easy.

You made mention of some samples working fine? How large are the samples that are making the pops?

cheers,
    fe

Go Back to forum