• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Transcription Scarlatti Sonata K13

Share/Bookmark

Arrow Transcription Scarlatti Sonata K13

My first attempt to start orchestrating again. I was playing a bunch of Scarlatti sonatas the other day at the piano and ran across this early one of his which I thought would be fun to transcribe to orchestra.

Nobody would orchestrate this way; it includes everything including the kitchen sink but I’m experimenting, combining different instruments, doubling instruments that aren’t usually doubled, going for unique combinations rather than a “beautiful” sounding piece of music.

That, and the fact I still have a long way to go to master all these different GUI interfaces of all these various companies. I find it quite a challenge because as soon as I start another library, I quickly forget all the intricacies of the one I just used……sigh……..it’s tough having an old brain!

But if you want to hear something to brighten your day, this will probably do the trick!

Cass

Scarlatti Sonata K13

Oh yeah! The instrumentation list as well as I can remember.

Strings LASS

Brass EW Hollywood Brass

Woodwinds 1st chair are mostly Vienna downloadable instruments
    2nd chair…mostly GPO Aria
    Oboe is Dan Dean Woodwind collection

Percussion All EWQL symphonic orchestra library

Piano Garritan Steinway (GAS)

Re: Transcription Scarlatti Sonata K13

Cass,

This is great - what a fun ride. As to the idea that no one would do this...William Walton had a ballet that was based on a number of Scarlatti sonatas; I believe it was call the Good Natured Ladies (or something to that effect). So, you are in good company!

Great spirit and inventiveness with the orchestration - what a wonderful orchestral encore this would make.

Thanks for posting this.

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Wonderful!

I have also done many adaptations of piano and harpsichord works by the old Masters in my lifetime and they are more fun to do than anything...except maybe associating with chicks.

You did a masterful job on this and I have played it nine times so far. You'd think that I enjoyed it or something.

Thank you for sharing this with us, Mister Cass. I somehow think that old Domenico would have liked it too.

Best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

You made me scare latti . Wonderful frightening for Halloween with a wink.

Raymond

Hello Cass!

This is so energetic, the orchestration is all over the place - in a great way! I enjoyed your "kitchen-sink" style orchestration, it was very lively. I especially appreciated the light, but incredibly well-placed use of percussion throughout. I think a lot of times adding a xylophone can make something sound too much like a western or Warner Brothers cartoon, but this is in a world of its own, and it is fantastic!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

This is very nice indeed, Cass. I personally have a difficult time distributing piano parts, for example, to orchestral instruments in a way that makes sense. I think your transfer to orchestra sounds great. You have inspired me to try my hand again, at transferring piano music to orchestra. As with all of your stuff, thanks for letting us hear your musical efforts. Jay

Aah! Lovely Scarlatti!
    I miss a bit of lightness, but here's much more fun in it than ever!
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Nice work!

The mechanical execution reminds me Carlos Wendy Walther's music from A Clockwork orange or Switched on Brandenburg.

You should try to arrange K455 from Scarlatti. You can have one of the best example I heard here (main title):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msDOPphtr7E

Best,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Cass,

This is great - what a fun ride. As to the idea that no one would do this...William Walton had a ballet that was based on a number of Scarlatti sonatas; I believe it was call the Good Natured Ladies (or something to that effect). So, you are in good company!

Great spirit and inventiveness with the orchestration - what a wonderful orchestral encore this would make.

Thanks for posting this.

All the best,
    Ron,

Great to see you surfacing here at Northern Sounds. I haven’t seen you for some time although I miss a lot of posts.

Thanks for the info on Walton’s transcriptions. I’d never heard of it before and you were close, it’s the “Good Humoured Ladies”. Great stuff…thanks for the tip.

I plan on writing out the score on this (with repeats since it’s only 2 minutes) but before I take on too much and try to relearn score writing as well as rendering, I decided to do a lot more rendering first so I feel comfortable with it first.

Thanks again for the thumbs up!
    Cass

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Wonderful!

I have also done many adaptations of piano and harpsichord works by the old Masters in my lifetime and they are more fun to do than anything...except maybe associating with chicks.

You did a masterful job on this and I have played it nine times so far. You'd think that I enjoyed it or something.

Thank you for sharing this with us, Mister Cass. I somehow think that old Domenico would have liked it too.

Best,

Larry
    Larry,

I agree with you that adaptations of piano works from old masters is a hoot. I’m really enjoying the process especially with Scarlatti since he is so witty, and inventive in the first place. Also agree with your numeric order of “fun” categories, the chick association is definitely “uno” on that list! ….although my transcriptions might prove to be more successful in the long run! Lol

Thanks sir Larry for popping in!

Cass

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast