• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to use Winrar and preserve sound quality ?

Share/Bookmark

How to use Winrar and preserve sound quality ?

My way to use Gigastudio led me to build a few \"big\" gigs wich contain various imported samples, thus slightly exceeding the size of what one can burn on a single cd.
    So I consider using Winrar to compress those gigs for archiving and safekeeping purposes, but I\'m unsure of which algorythm to use for best audio compression quality...
    Is it the \"multimedia\" algorytmh I should use ? Winrar\'s Help file seems to me a bit unclear about that.
    So if anyone here has some clues about the subject, I\'d be grateful to read it !
    Thanks.

Re: How to use Winrar and preserve sound quality ?

Hi
    The sound quality doesn\'t get any worse by compressing the gig with winrar. You might also want to try another compression utility discussed on another thread here. That one can compress your gigs to even smaller files.

Hope this helps

Yep WinRAR is lossless compression - belloq, imagine if it was lossy - how would the program know which kind of file it was compressing? And how would it manage to compress an executable - LOSSY - and get it to work when it was unpacked? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry if my question looks naive, but I remember, just a few years ago (3, 4, 5 ? time runs so fast !) Emagic released a -not cheap- lossless compression software (called \"Zap\", for \"zero-loss audio packer\", if I remember).
    The marketing about that \"Zap\" said, I believe, that lossless compression of audio is nearly impossible without a very clever algorythm....
    So I got stuck right there and never had to update my knowledge untill now about that.
    Seems that zero-loss compression for audio was not that difficult to achieve after all ?
    So, to sum it up, and if I get you right, this means that I can use Winrar without even boring about the type of compression to use ?

We frequently use WinRar when packing our stuff. I always use the multinedia option. I\'ve done some A/B comparing and used a filecomparing prog that checks the files on bit-level. I found that WinRar is truly a non-loss compress prog.

Thanks Worra,
    I will try that, then !

It is lossless, otherwise, the gig files and help files would simply not work if there was one bit of change to the files. Remember, we are compressing gig files which would probably not work if anything changed. You can use any level of compression but the trade off is the time it takes to crunch it down and to un crunch it when the user installs. The lower compression settings work faster but they don\'t jump through all the fancy algorythm loops and tricks to squeeze it to the max so the file size will be bigger but faster to create and uncompress.
    Its all about trade offs of time and size. The end result is ones and zeros though.
    Good question though
    Dave

Go Back to forum