• Register
  • Help

Topic: polyphony

Share/Bookmark

polyphony

Happy New Year guys & girls,

please allow the following question: Is it possible to run a Gigastudio 96 two to three times on ONE computer in order to raise polyphony?

Tascam has Gigastudio 32 out there. What is the highest polyphony current Gigasampler instruments have with one patch?

Does anybody know if GS 32 will be usable with the new VST wrapper. And: What exactly is the advantage of having GS as a VST plugin? I always read something about latcency, but is this really an issue here?

Thanks very much in advance

Harry
    PS: Anybody ever heard or used the Egosys Gigastation?

Re: polyphony

You can only run one version of GigaStudio on one machine. GigaStudio 96 will only give you 96 mono voices period and 2 MIDI ports.

Hi Harry,

Many of your questions are addressed in this active thread:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=006771

Interesting question regarding multiple installs of GS on one machine. If each instance was assigned unique ports,I suppose this is possible. But then your problem would be faltering RAM/CPU power running two instances at once.

My understanding is that people get around limited poloyphony by rendering a particular GS track to audio, which in essence, frees up the polyphony for additional new instruments. Hopefully others will be by with better answers.

PS: Anybody ever heard or used the Egosys Gigastation?

Indeed I have. I bought two of them because of a great price offer. What do you want to know about?

Best
    Holger

First of all: Thanks to all three of you. I don\'t understand why one can\'T have two Gigastudios at work (if installed in different directories & one uses two different soundcards) but o.k...

Hi Holger,

Thanks for your offer to dig deeper into the subject. The Gigastation is delivered with a Gigasstudio 96 so called LE version. In how far does it differ from the full 96 version & does it allow one to upgrade to the full products???

The card has 20 bit converter, right? If soon Gigastudio allows 24 bit samples then this would be a hindrance or at least reduce quality of sound???

Could I use a Gigastation card and my midiman Delta 66 at once in one computer? I would use the Delta for my usual recording setup and the egosys only with Giga, sending Giga out through the SPDIF into the Delta\'s SPDIF. Any thoughts??? There is a midiinterface addition to the Gigastation: does it only work with Giga or does it allow to work with softsynths as well?

\"Holger\" sounds German: Are you from Germany?

Thanks in advance

Harry
    GERMANY

Hey Harry,

Just take a look at \"Location\" ... it´s pretty obvious now, eh? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I´ll send you a PM with the details I know. If anyone else is interested in those information, let me know and I´ll post them here.

Best
    Holger

Hi Harry,

It really is worth better understanding why we cannot run two instances of GS, if only to help understand the architecture/relationhip of GS/Ram/CPU/Soundcard/buffers, and exactly which part of the equation that maxes out at the 160 voices. To Hayden\'s point, running multiple isntances, even if it could be done, does not appear to be a sensible solution for any restrictions you might be facing. That said, it would be a good discussion to help (at least me) better understand where the polyphony bottlenecks are and the basic GS to hardware architecture/relationship.

Go Back to forum