• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Midi over lan vs hardware interface

Share/Bookmark

Midi over lan vs hardware interface

Are there any performance advantages in using MidiOverLan in comparison to a regular hardware interface? I\'ve used an AMT8 to send midi to my RME Digiface on my Giga machine...yet I seem to recall reading something about the Lan connection being better/faster. Comments?

Re: Midi over lan vs hardware interface

Sporter,

I did purchase MidioverLan and if you need a discount let me know on the private side.

The Midi Over Lan works flawless between my Giga Machine, My Sonar - Kontakt Machine. Audio does not go throught the Cables, you still need audio cards for each computer. I really don\'t mind this. There are no Latency issies at all.

Alan Russell

I have had exactly zero problems with MIDIOverLAN since I got it. It saved me a good $100-200, or however much a couple 4x4 MIDI interfaces would be. No latency issues at all. I\'d say to go for it! You can also download a demo and see how it works.
    O.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

MIDIoverLAN is pretty great!! Makes a multi-port Giga rig extremely easy to manage.

Hi Sporter,

In addition to helping with some latency issues, I think the other feature Midi \'o Lan offers is ability to skip the create CD on giga machine when creating audio to import into CUBASE. When you perform an import into Cubase, you will actually see the Giga machine file structure on your Cubase sequencer machine.

MOL definitely has less latency than a dedicated MIDI interface. Standard MIDI interfaces are limited to 32 Kb serial transfers and will back up with dense sequences. I\'ve never noticed this issue with MOL though as it isn\'t limited to the 32 Kb speed.

Hi Hayden,

Do you have any experience with how mol compares with light pipe with respect to latency?

Thank you,

Originally posted by Joanne Babunovic:
    Hi Sporter,

In addition to helping with some latency issues, I think the other feature Midi \'o Lan offers is ability to skip the create CD on giga machine when creating audio to import into CUBASE. When you perform an import into Cubase, you will actually see the Giga machine file structure on your Cubase sequencer machine.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Now that\'s cool.

Originally posted by Haydn:
    MOL definitely has less latency than a dedicated MIDI interface. Standard MIDI interfaces are limited to 32 Kb serial transfers and will back up with dense sequences. I\'ve never noticed this issue with MOL though as it isn\'t limited to the 32 Kb speed.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Good info...that\'s what I needed to know. I had a vague recollection of reading something along these lines.

Hi Sporter,

It was Scott Cairns who so kindly pointed that out to me as I struggled one evening to get the giga machine wav imported over to my cubase daw.

Go Back to forum