• Register
  • Help

Topic: Good Security for your DAW

Share/Bookmark

Good Security for your DAW

For those of you running a PC DAW that also connects to the internet you might find this useful.

Kerio Personal Firewall is free (for private use) software that will lock down your machine against unwanted hackers, worms, denial of service attacks, etc. It will also block advertisements and pop-up windows.

It works quite well, it starts by basically blocking everything, but if you for example launch Midi Over Lan, Kerio will ask whether you want to \"permit\" or \"deny\" it, you create a rule to say \"always permit\" and it never asks you again.

http://www.kerio.com/us/kpf_home.html

This software appears to be very unobtrusive compared to some other Firewall software and is very easy to use. It also has free updates.

A friend of mine who is a Senior Network Analyst thinks that this software is better than half a dozen or so other Firewall programs he has used. That\'s good enough for me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Good Security for your DAW

Hi Scott,

Although no internet on my DAW, I\'m badly in need of Firewall for personal laptop. Do you know if this also helps with random cookies deposited on my machine?

Thanks,

Hi Joanne, I dont think so. You can usually regulate the acceptance of cookies through your browser.

There is also a good program called;

Adaware; ( http://lavasoft.element5.com/support/download/ ) Which is great for detecting and stopping spyware, ads, cookies, etc.

adaware is great, I\'ve used it extensively in the past. Most motherboards these day (I can vouch for asus and gigabyte) also come with anti-virus packages that also contain personal firewalls and content checking (malicious scripting, cookies etc.

If all you\'re after is firewall and cookie protection though, something like kerio and adaware ought to do.

Steve

Thanks

I\'ve got Zone Alarm free. I\'ve configured it to block all internet activity by default. Is there some superior features in Kerio Personal Orch... oops Firewall [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] that I should change to it? Hmm.. or maybe I\'ll just check it out, then I know.

- Mikko

If you want to become knowledgeable about personal firewalls and test to see if your computer is safe, then go to:

http://grc.com/lt/leaktest.htm

Steve Gibson may be the most knowledgeable person around about this subject.

That said, there is no way I would run a firewall or virus software while I am using my DAW. It is a sure way to have problems. Use another machine to browse the internet and email.

-- Martin

Hi Miguelo, the answer is yes. Firewall software should lock down all of your ports and will only open the ones you specify. (Not as hard as it may sound.) It also works to stop worms and little back door programs being installed on your machine.

Martin - The Gibson Research Corporation site is certainly a good one. Havent been there in a while though.

That said, there is no way I would run a firewall or virus software while I am using my DAW. It is a sure way to have problems. Use another machine to browse the internet and email.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That would be ideal but is not possible for me. Every spare PC I have becomes a DAW. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Do you know if this also helps with random cookies deposited on my machine?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Joanne, after closer inspection the answer is actually yes. It will filter cookies.

Only drawback - the program is a full featured application for the first 30 days. After that you lose the ability to stop pop-ups, ads and cookie filtering but the program remains free for private use.

Thanks again everybody. A few times, I\'ve been writing particular words in a post or email, and corresponding pop-ups appear! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I hope it\'s maybe just coincidence.

Go Back to forum